Is daily water intake that important?

Options
Hi,
I'm generally happy with my weight loss and am achieving that by keeping within my calorie budget inclusive of exercise earned added calories. However, I certainly don't drink 8 glasses of water a day! In fact I think on average my typical day will see me drink 6 mugs of white tea no sugar, plus a small glass of red wine or a can of low cal soda i.e. Coke Zero with my main evening meal. If my exercise session as been a bit hot I might add in a glass of water when I finish but it's not usual.

So, the question is - is that a problem? How critical is the water intake??

Replies

• nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Water increases health, so is quite important, it aids in flushing toxins from your system, hydrates your body and if you are weight training, it aids in helping your muscles to recover hugely. So get into it - !!
    I don't particularly like water, but I don't mind it... so have made a consious effort to try to drink more.. it's working, too a few days to get into the swing of it - but do try it... for overall health. Also, sometimes what may feel like "hunger" is actually thirst!
  • jenbenefit
    jenbenefit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to this, I used to drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day, maybe an energy drink, and if i drank water it'd be dilluted with squash

Nowm I can't imagine not drinking it.

Just try and persevere, if you wake up and have a glass of water before or during breakfast, or before you go to work, then when others are making tea or coffee, have water, one when you get infrom work... it soon adds up. And you won't even realise you are doing it.. it just becomes natural.

And it really does make a difference. My skin is alot clearer, I feel more "with it"and i find if i have a glass of water instead of coke or coffee with my food i don't have that sluggish, bloated feeling.

Give it a try, nothing to lose :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was a water czar. However, personal experience and new research has convinced me you're probably fine with your current consuption, and that you're about to be blasted with industry BS.
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Drinking plenty of water also helps you not retain as much water because your body won't hold onto so much if it knows you regularly drink a lot. Its good for you and calorie free so why not drink more. Plus, caffeinated drinks dehydrate you so try and start small by adding just one or two more cups per day and go from there. I never used to drink water, maybe like a glass per day because I wasn't thirsty. For nearly the last two years I've changed that and feel so much better. It's been easier to lose weight, my energy is up, and my skin, hair, and nails benefit from it too
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Just stay hydrated and you'll be fine
    its not magic
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a little TMI, but drink enough so that your pee is light yellow or clear. You don't need more than that.
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the rest of your diet too: they say fruits and vegetables are full of water. For example, lettuce is up to 90% water... If you don't feel like you need it, there's a chance you're getting it in other forms and really don't need it...
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    For sure your body needs water, it does not have to be cups of water. Most of the stuff about water is myth and water bottle company advertising hype. Eight cups of water a day is hype and not required.

If you have watery food, like vegetables - that counts.

Coffee, tea and other water drinks are just fine, just avoid sugar containing drinks.

If your experience is that caffeine drinks dehydrate your, that is ok, but research shows otherwise.

I drink water if I'm thirsty - I also drink a lot of tea and coffee [with no sugar] - I drink zero soft drinks.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    Oooohhh water is so important for you! Yes you get it from other sources also, such as food (i'm eating watermelon right now!) but it's also important to drink some too. many many many of the processes in your body require water. not to mention it helps to flush out toxins and waste and helps keep your skin clear. I love H2O! :)
  • ozerion
    ozerion Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You should drink at least 8 cups of water. if you are having a hard time, go to Walmart or some other super store. They sell cheap water jugs that are 2.2L/74.4oz. Fill it in the morning and drink it by the end of the day. There is no end to the research on the positive impact of water (not just for weight loss).

"How much is enough?

A non active person needs a half ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. That is ten 8 ounce glasses a day if your weight is 160 pounds. For every 25 pounds you exceed your ideal weight, increase it by one 8 ounce glass.

An active, athletic person needs 2/3 ounce per pound which is 13-14 8 ounce glasses a day if you're 160 pounds. The more you exercise the more water you need. Spread out your water intake throughout the day. Do not drink more than 4 glasses within any given hour. After a few weeks your bladder calms down & you will urinate less frequently, but in larger amounts."
    - Source: http://www.dorchesterhealth.org/water.htm
  • Goal2BeFit2012
    Goal2BeFit2012 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would say that drinking water is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your body, besides eating healthy and exercising. Sodas just dehydrate you, and make you want to drink more of them... and like everyone else said, sodas actually contain alot of sodium and make you retain water. If you don't really like water to begin with... buy something like those Crystal Light to go packets, or use a product called Mio. It comes in different flavors and is not too expensive. :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the rest of your diet too: they say fruits and vegetables are full of water. For example, lettuce is up to 90% water... If you don't feel like you need it, there's a chance you're getting it in other forms and really don't need it...

sorry, but I think you are wrong!

For a long time I thought I was *fine* with the amount of fluid I was taking in, just like the OP...then 15 months ago I landed in the ER with a massive (14mm) kidney stone. it took me 3 weeks and 3 surgeries to get it sorted, and my urologist decided to do tests. What he found is that I was chronically dehydrated! I had to go back every 3-6 months until I got a clean report...and we figured out that I needed 12 cups minimum to have the correct urine volume daily.

I asked him about the whole controversy about (8) 8oz glasses of water a day...he said that he sees hundreds of people every year who are chronically dehydrated like me, and that it is SOOO good for you, so there is no reason to restrict it at all.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is essential to good health. It will help with headaches, skin will be better, your organs will thank you and your body will just run smoother in general.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    .and we figured out that I needed 12 cups minimum to have the correct urine volume daily.
    How much is the correct volume ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001493/ says " Kidney stones are more likely to occur if you make less than 1 liter of urine a day"

Actually it seems beer and wine are the things to drink if kidney stones are a concern :-

"After mutually adjusting for the intake of other beverages, the risk of stone formation decreased by the following amount for each 240-ml (8-oz) serving consumed daily: caffeinated coffee, 10% (95% confidence interval 4–15%); decaffeinated coffee, 10% (3–16%); tea, 14% (5–22%); beer, 21% (12–30%); and wine, 39% (10–58%). For each 240-ml serving consumed daily, the risk of stone formation increased by 35% (4–75%) for apple juice and 37% (1–85%) for grapefruit juice. The authors conclude that beverage type may have an effect on stone formation that involves more than additional fluid intake alone."

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/143/3/240.short
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    You get water from almost everything you eat and drink, doesn't have to be just plain water.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's all part of a machine. You can run a car an only change the oil every 20,000 miles, but it'll probably run like crap. I think of weight loss the same way.......there are probably lots of ways to do it by cutting corners, but I'm doing this long term so I have my health for as long as possible. Your body needs to stay hydrated for LOTS of reasons. When your losing weight, all your organs need to be hydrated to function at their peak. You can probably get by on a little bit of water but is that how you want to do it?

I am just constantly drinking. I bought one of those cute reusable cups with straws (the kind that look like to go cups) and I just refill it all day. That makes it easy for me to keep hydrated. And after a few weeks of doing that, it's second nature to me.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    .and we figured out that I needed 12 cups minimum to have the correct urine volume daily.
    How much is the correct volume ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001493/ says " Kidney stones are more likely to occur if you make less than 1 liter of urine a day"

Actually it seems beer and wine are the things to drink if kidney stones are a concern :-

"After mutually adjusting for the intake of other beverages, the risk of stone formation decreased by the following amount for each 240-ml (8-oz) serving consumed daily: caffeinated coffee, 10% (95% confidence interval 4–15%); decaffeinated coffee, 10% (3–16%); tea, 14% (5–22%); beer, 21% (12–30%); and wine, 39% (10–58%). For each 240-ml serving consumed daily, the risk of stone formation increased by 35% (4–75%) for apple juice and 37% (1–85%) for grapefruit juice. The authors conclude that beverage type may have an effect on stone formation that involves more than additional fluid intake alone."

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/143/3/240.short

about 2-3L

http://www.healthforworld.com/how-much-urine-output-is-normal

IMO the VOLUME of fluid, not the type of fluid is the main focus of this thread. OP claims to only drink about 48oz a day on a regular basis. I was doing that when I ended up with the stone! The day of my first 24hr collection, I drank what I assumed was a TON...and it wasn't. For the last year I have been drinking out of containers that are 24-32oz each, and I drink 64oz MINIMUM. Today I have had 3 water bottles that are 24oz each AND a diet pop that was 30oz+...that's 102oz, and I think I may go for another bottle of water before bed!
  • imtriagain
    imtriagain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm with you OP. I have just never been a water drinker. Every so often I force myself to carry around a water bottle, but for the most part, I don't drink the recommended amount. When I'm training, I do have more, but probably not enough.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Water increases health, so is quite important, it aids in flushing toxins from your system, hydrates your body and if you are weight training, it aids in helping your muscles to recover hugely. So get into it - !!
    I don't particularly like water, but I don't mind it... so have made a consious effort to try to drink more.. it's working, too a few days to get into the swing of it - but do try it... for overall health. Also, sometimes what may feel like "hunger" is actually thirst!

Completelt agree with this! The more you drink water the more you will get used to it. Flavor it up alittle if it would help you - lemon, limes, mint, cucumber - all are good!
  • Jester522
    Options
    Yes.

Basic rule of thumb: drink your weight in ounces of water. I.E.: if you weigh 120lbs you should consume 120oz of water

120oz/ 8 oz/cup = 15 cups of water.

The 8 cups is really a bare minimal number. My clients take down a gallon/day if not more.