weight to lose or self esteem issues?

Options
I am seriously frustrated!!! My scale won't budge and I have been told that maybe I am at my ideal weight for my frame, but I don't like the way I look !!! I think that have about 20 lbs to lose but no matter how hard I try I can't seem to lose more than 5 lbs. I am 5' 11", 158 lbs (today at least) and almost 32 yrs old. What can I do to get some pounds shed? I walk/jog on the treadmill 3-4 times a week for 45mins or so at 4.0mph and have been adding in situps 2x a week. I admit that some days I do go over on my calories, but I didn't think it was often enough to affect my weight so much. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I am just crazy and need to be happy with how I am......:sad:

Replies

• mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am seriously frustrated!!! My scale won't budge and I have been told that maybe I am at my ideal weight for my frame, but I don't like the way I look !!! I think that have about 20 lbs to lose but no matter how hard I try I can't seem to lose more than 5 lbs. I am 5' 11", 158 lbs (today at least) and almost 32 yrs old. What can I do to get some pounds shed? I walk/jog on the treadmill 3-4 times a week for 45mins or so at 4.0mph and have been adding in situps 2x a week. I admit that some days I do go over on my calories, but I didn't think it was often enough to affect my weight so much. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I am just crazy and need to be happy with how I am......:sad:
  • ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    Options
    Maybe you should start doing more toning exercises, that would probably help. With so little weight to lose if you just toned up what you have it may increase your self esteem and help you lose a few more pounds.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    oddly enough I read a post a while back about "body dysmorphic disorder" which basically affects women in a way that they hate what they see in the mirror no matter how healthy and how right they are it makes them feel inadequate in comparison to the idea of "beauty" whereas that "beauty" is airbrushed, photoshopped, and just gifted women, and people who have this get EXCEPTIONALLY low self esteem in cases like this. I have the same issue as you do so I can sympathize. I hate feeling that way and I also read that you should not think as a "fat" girl would but a "thin" girl would and appreciate how strong healthy and fit you are and work towards that, cause any other negative thinking may sabotage any positive outcome. It actually held some truth. Even if it is a simple mantar to repeat to yourself when working out basically. I tried doing it and I am starting to lean more towards the positive side now. Especially when I run I say "I am strong, I am a machine" or during yoga I am healthy and I basically thank my body for being that way...I hate the negative thoughts though I REALY REALLY DO!!! There are times looking in the mirror I cringe but I know its a work in progress. Or heres my new idea, set your goal mine is a half marathon and I am in training for that so I dont think of it as wt loss but training and I know by not worrying about that I wont notice when it does shed off, just how in shape I am!!! You are not alone girl!!! BE PROUD!!!!! YOU ARE HEALTHY!!!!
  • mamaof2girls
    Options
    Do you have any great toning exercises that you suggest? I thought about doing yoga.
  • FitJoani
    Options
    Do you have any great toning exercises that you suggest? I thought about doing yoga.
    Yoga is fantastic!!!!! I have a friend who turned me onto "core secrets" which uses a stabilty ball and light wts and u do all the toning reps like flyes chest press tricep lefts while stabalizing on the ball. u can also do leg lifts and such. its a total body thang
  • ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    Options
    I have to say I have been doing some pilates, I actually saw results in less than 2 weeks, my husband said my butt looked higher after a week, even though that wasn't a very nice thing to say, I do believe it was a compliment. Plus I though pilates was pretty easy, I am not very coordinated and I am very accident prone. Hope this helps!

P.S. I have only lost 11 lbs so far, but I have lost at least two inches in my arms and legs and 4 on my waist and hips. So keep that in mind. Sometimes as you are gaining muscle you don't see it on the scale but you can see it in the measurements!!!
  • MissMe9669
    MissMe9669 Posts: 82
    Options
    Heeey! In High School... I was 5'9" and weighed 145lbs.... and honestly... I had a "bangin'" body! You are 2 inches taller than me... so u probably are right about at your ideal weight... don't obsess over it... from what i see of your pics... you look great!!! :love:
  • FitJoani
    Options
    MissMe is so right. You LOOK GREAT especially with 2 kids. I am jealous:love:
  • mamaof2girls
    Options
    You guys are too sweet...thanks for the nice compliments. I need you on repeat on my iPod so I can listen to you when I feel down. :flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I also think you look GREAT
    BUT if u really wanted to loose a few pounds, are u eating enough, considering the cals you're burning?
    I know how active it is to be a mom of 2 kids....because of that (and w/ out taking into account working out) I bumped up my cals
    I'm 5 '7 and 130 right now (lost 25 on this site)
    I think I'm at a pretty good place, I just need to TONE UP!

Kim

25185.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I agree that you look great. Unless you are going for a fitness trainer look, I'd say you're just right! :flowerforyou:

I agree with other's suggestions about taking your measurements, and also making sure you are eating enough once you take your exercise into account.

You also might want to consider trying to figure out your body fat percentage. You can try those scales, or the tape measure method, but it's probably better to get a caliper test by someone who knows what they're doing (at a gym, for example). For women who are fit but not athletes, somewhere in the 20-25% range is a very healthy. If you go less than 19%, you might stop menstruating (not the end of the world since you already have 2 kids, but...).

Here's what Wikipedia has to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You might want to vary your cardio workouts and do interval training. Your body gets used to the same exercise after a while and you stop seeing results. Also add some weight training in the mix. That helps you shed pounds and tone better and faster than cardio alone. As far as nutrition is concerned, it depends on what you are eating. You might be eating too much fat and/or too much of simple carbs and sugar. Don't think of it as dieting but as eating better to be healthy. No one wants to diet all their lives, that is not possible, it is not realistic. But one can make better choices most of the time....you can do it!!! And BTW, you look great!!! :flowerforyou:
  • violetvy
    violetvy Posts: 33
    Options
    Like everyone else, I agree you look fab, but I know u are also looking for suggestions to lose those last few pounds. You may be plateauing so it is hard to lose these few lbs.
    Try do some high interval work outs that increase the intensity of your training and adding in more weight resistance training. Adding the muscle will help you burn more calories at rest.