To tell or not to tell?

Options
Do you tell others that you are embarking on a new weight loss effort? I am struggling with telling my partner, work associates and friends. I find when I open my mouth I tend to enter the sabotage zone.

Replies

• nesmythe
    Options
    I am not sure I would. If you feel that you may backslide and can find support on here then get a good start and share then. but that is just my opinion..
  • alexandrajane84
    alexandrajane84 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not usually... I find that they then start scruitenising (wow bad spelling!) what I'm eating, what I'm doing...
    I've told my partner this time around and he's good and bad with it - depending on the day!
    I agree with the finding support here - same boat :)
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I never do. It seems then people either tell me what to eat or try to get me to eat 'their' food.
  • pberta
    pberta Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I only tell them that I am making healthier choices. In my case I have a lot to lose and most of them have seen my roller coaster ride with my weight over the years. Some people I tell that my doctor wants me to come in for some tests and I have to watch my eating for a period of time. (This way they feel guilty by putting the box of donuts on your desk)
  • jesjosep
    Options
    I struggled with this question too. I still am actually. I would love for my family and friends to be supportive but the reality is that most of them won't be. They won't understand why I'm doing this. Or, in the case of my parents, they only criticize me when I fail. I want to do this, but I struggle, so I need a very supportive environment. That is why I am here. This is where I get my support. And so far they have helped.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    a couple people at work introduced me to the site so they know I am doing it. They are very supportive try not to eat a lot of junk around me or talk about it when they do choose to eat it. My hubby is pretty supportive although he does not appreciate all the fat free salad dressings and other fat free items around the house. I do try to keep some stuff he likes around and so far I have done pretty good at staying out of it or I just take a couple bites and record it.
  • SP2Bfit
    SP2Bfit Posts: 114
    Options
    I didn't bring up the topic but if people noticed I was eating less or losing weight I didn't deny it...that said, I did tend to change the subject to something else (My ticker no longer reflects my original weight loss of around 40 pounds). I made a point to allow for occasional nights out with friends and/or dinners with my husband so what I was doing was not so different from what I was doing before I tried to lose weight. If you are making small changes vs. radical changes to your routine many people may not even notice. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Tell your partner & get their support!! Maybe get them to join for accountability!! My hubby joined with me & has been the biggest support of all!!!
  • poetictraveller
    poetictraveller Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's the beauty of MFP....we are in it together! I have the same sort of issues at home and work....I just tell people I'm making better choices and that they can too. Hold steady and go after what YOU want!
  • KatGalr
    Options
    I haven't... feel free to add!
  • wickedboots
    Options
    I would LOVE to tell my partner, but she happens to be super fit. She has never had a weight issue, always been athletic and can't relate to my efforts. Glad I posted.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    She would probably be super excited that you would join her in being healthy then!

I told my husband, mom, and best friend, but it has been awkward with all of them, almost as if I will start judging them or something. I am glad that I get the support I need on here, or this would be a lonely journey. Hard to be proud of yourself and not share...
  • KLPlatinum
    Options
    I tell anyone who asks me how I am losing weight (the first place I loss is my face, so everyone thinks I have lost more than 7 pounds). Since telling co workers and friends, 3 of them have joined and we are all supportive of each other and share some great recipes. My boyfriends knows that I am doing it and is very supportive...he is usually the one that motivates me to do Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred each night when I really just want lay in bed and watch TV. Not that he doesn't love me the way I am now, but he knows how much getting healthy means to me.
    So I guess that was a long explanation to say, just tell people. I think you will be surprise at how supportive people can be!