Freezer vegetables

Options
Living alone can be hard to cook for one without the food going bad. I want to make individual stir fry bags. I was thinking of buying green and red peppers, eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, and maybe some potatoes or asparagus. I would devide them up into single serving bags, freeze them, and bust one out and throw it in a skillet when I want stir-fry. Are vegetables good once they have been frozen? If not what is a a good method for cooking for one?

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of frozen stir fry vegetables available and I'm not sure you can put them together any cheaper. But, if you want to do it yourself, you will need to blanch them before you freeze them. Then put them in freezer bags and into the freezer they go. Hope this helps!
  • EvilMomma
    EvilMomma Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My secret weapon are the Green Giant Steamers--several varieties and mixes of frozen veggies and light sauces, some have pasta or rice mixed in. I can eat a package (microwave right in the package) and it totals about 300 calories. I add a little protein sometimes or just a glass of milk and I'm done.
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have frozen mushrooms, peppers, onions,green beans, and tomatoes successfully. As long as you are going to cook them, freezing is fine. To thaw and eat raw it doesn't always work since the freezer changes the texture of some vegetables.
  • BrewerFan2
    Options
    Usually I just buy a variety of frozen veggies then mix them together and freeze the ones I want together. I FoodSave everything so it lasts longer; this way I can either boil in the bag, cut bag open to stir fry, or cut bag open to steam in my Pampered Chef microwave steamer pan. That way I don't have to blanch anything because they are already frozen to begin with. Most veggies you can buy in the frozen section anyways in bulk. Just an idea.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    As a college student, AND one who has to cook for one, I can relate. When I know I'll use veggies fast, I'll buy them fresh...Ex: Squash, carrots, bell peppers, asparagus, etc. However, I always have frozen veggies around! They're so easy to take out, steam, and serve. Plus, you can take out as much as you want, without having to worry about the rest going bad. Common ones I keep are corn, broccoli, sugar snap peas, etc.

Speaking of stir fry, my local store has frozen veggie mixes specifically for stir fry, as well as fajitas, soup, etc. I love keeping the stir fry ones around, because it's 150 cals for the whole bag. On a night I need a quick meal, I prepare half of the bag, add in some grilled chicken, and 2 tbsp of my favorite sauce. It's one of my quick, and delicious, "go-to" meals. :)
  • Hollybot2
    Options
    I did it with mushrooms, zuchinni, squash, snap peas, peppers, and eggplant. All but the eggplant came out real well. ANd to be honest I've never had eggplant before so it might be just fine too, and I just don't like eggplant. I blanched the veggies, then shocked them, let them dry off and put them in freezer bags. Thanks for the tips pals
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are sometimes better than ordinary grocery produce. They're frozen when they're still fresh, instead of waiting on a truck followed by the store display. Some foods even tenderize as their water content crystallizes, so cooking is easier.