Muscle recovery

Options
Does it really take a full 24-48 hours for a muscle to recover before you should work it again?? I am determined to do push ups and pull-ups and want to try more everyday, but someone said that I am wasting my time doing that because I won't gain anything from it. Thoughts? (go bro-science) :grumble:

Replies

• jjefferies7
    Options
    recovery time depends on your work out volume, calorie intake and experience.
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    recovery time depends on your work out volume, calorie intake and experience.

Do tell. What do you suggest the mix should be for someone dedicated enough to work out every day?
    Workout volume- well, to exhaustion typically 3 sets...
    Calorie intake: variable
    Experience- eh call me a beginner.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    beginners aren't as efficient in recovery as an experienced person. if you eat too little calories that will hinder your recovery as you won't have enough fuel. as for volume someone who say does 12+ sets for a muscle group would take longer to recover than someone doing 5 sets for a muscle group(however even at lower volume in most cases you should rest for a day or two).

while you aren't doing many sets, 3 sets if all to failure can take a toll. I would recommend waiting a day or two

however you be the judge, if you are still hitting more weight or reps and making progress at most if not all sessions then you probably are fine.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I would recommend training heavy with weights 3 times a week full-body. Read this article if you are interested in high frequency training http://humanmachine.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/grease-the-groove-for-strength/

The take home point is that if you want to train those movements every day, you can't push yourself too hard or you won't recover fast enough.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Does it really take a full 24-48 hours for a muscle to recover before you should work it again?? I am determined to do push ups and pull-ups and want to try more everyday, but someone said that I am wasting my time doing that because I won't gain anything from it. Thoughts? (go bro-science) :grumble:

I've been trying to play with 'active recovery' - brisk walking, swimming. Not sure how much they impact progress, but it's definitely easier to stay on track if you do *something* every day..
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I would recommend training heavy with weights 3 times a week full-body. Read this article if you are interested in high frequency training http://humanmachine.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/grease-the-groove-for-strength/

The s!!take home point is that if you want to train those movements every day, you can't push yourself too hard or you won't recover fast enough.

Ohhh what a great site. Thanks!! (though I am gonna stay p too late reading it and I blame yooouuuu!)
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    There are three aspects to training: frequency, intensity, and volume.

You can manipulate them to suit your needs.

If your interest is push-ups, pull-ups, dips, body weight squats etc., there is no reason why you couldn't do them every day and see amazing results. Even if you were doing high intensity weight training, you could do it every day. In both instances, however, you'd limit volume to allow for a quick 24 hour recovery.