Has anyone ever heard of loosing weight while pregant?

Options
124»

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    My mom had gestational diabetes with me, so she was put on a special diet (really not all that special, just keep track of how much carbs, protein, etc, much like MPF). She said she lost weight with me, but wasn't actively trying to. So, it's possible. Probably not healthy to go out of your way to, though. If you have weight to lose, and you're eating right for you and the baby, I don't see why you wouldn't lose your extra weight (although you may not see it in numbers while preggers)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I actually read up on this. I have never had a kid - don't really want any either. Depending on the size you are, you can potentially lose weight while pregnant.

I am already very over weight for my height and age. So losing weight while pregnant would be possible for someone who has a lot of weight to lose.

If you are in the normal weight rage or even in the over weight rage, it would be very hard to lose weight while pregos.

Please see a doctor about this. Eat healthy for babies sake, get regular exercise (no insanity or p90x, 30ds!)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Dieting while pregnant is a terrible idea! Get fit before you have the kid-your child will have a lower risk of chronic disease later in life if you're at a healthy weight when you get pregnant.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Dieting while pregnant is a terrible idea! Get fit before you have the kid-your child will have a lower risk of chronic disease later in life if you're at a healthy weight when you get pregnant.

"Dieting" while pregnant is a bad idea...but eating healthy is a great idea especially if you are already on the path of doing so as the OP said she is. It just so happens that if you are above the normal range of BMI that you will continue to either maintain or lose during pregnancy provided it is a commonsense approach. You aim for optimum health and sometimes they happens to have an added advantage of losing the weight in such a way that mum is healthy and bub gains gestational weight as per normal because as the second poster said the process will use fat stores IF you have them ...not recommended in normal or under BMI. doctors don't want mothers in normal category or above to put on more weight than is required because of baby's health and complications with excess weight. There is nothing controversial about it ...use commonsense, research and talk to the doctors/midwives.

I stress too, by making the statement "losing weight during pregnancy" I don't mean you see a change on the scales as in going down while you are pregnant! You still gain throughout the pregnancy to the required weight for your BMI. It is only at the end once bub is born, that u quickly lose pregnancy weight and may have lost more. Aim to maintain, eat at levels recommended per trimester. After 5 pregnancies, this was my healthiest. Bub is fine and I am not a miserable depressed mum.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

"Dieting" while pregnant is a bad idea...but eating healthy is a great idea especially if you are already on the path of doing so as the OP said she is. It just so happens that if you are above the normal range of BMI that you will continue to either maintain or lose during pregnancy provided it is a commonsense approach. You aim for optimum health and sometimes they happens to have an added advantage of losing the weight in such a way that mum is healthy and bub gains gestational weight as per normal because as the second poster said the process will use fat stores IF you have them ...not recommended in normal or under BMI. doctors don't want mothers in normal category or above to put on more weight than is required because of baby's health and complications with excess weight. There is nothing controversial about it ...use commonsense, research and talk to the doctors/midwives.

I am using research, actually. The general recommendations are for women who are overweight to gain 15-25 pounds and obese women to gain 11 to 20 pounds. It's not something where you can just try to eat healthy and not worry about it. If you don't gain weight at a steady pace, you could get some nasty complications, such as hemorrhoids and whatnot. A woman's body is undergoing many rapid changes during pregnancy, and fat stores simply can't provide adequately for both mother and baby. There are exceptions, but doctors generally recommend a moderate amount of weight gain for women of all sizes. Of course, weight gain should be monitored to stay in the above ranges. I learned this from a a college level course on maternal and child nutrition I took last year, and I expect you could find similar information on credible sites.
  • raeraeti
    Options
    Where Does the Extra Weight Go During Pregnancy?

Baby: 8 pounds
    Placenta: 2-3 pounds
    Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
    Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
    Blood supply: 4 pounds
    Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
    Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds
    Total: 25-35 pounds

After the baby is out and you're normal again you should only have gained 5-10 lbs :)
    That's if you were maintaining your weight, of course (not trying to lose weight).
  • HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I was born my mum was 14 lb lighter than before she got pregnant. She was an obese lady and this was safe, the doctors were fine ... I was 9lb 5 weeks early :D
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    Options
    with my third pregnancy i really didnt want to gain loads of weight as i got pregnant just 4months fater my second and still was over weight from that pregnancy. i ate healthy and walked daily i walked loads and i only gained 2lbs! the day my daughters was born i lost 12lbs and kept losing ever since. it is possible not to gain loads of weight if you watch what you eat and carry on with a good fitness level!
  • VickyJo68
    VickyJo68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I only put on 1/2 oz with my second. But reasoning doesn't always work because with my first I ate super healthy etc as instructed and put on 4 stone and with the second ate everything moved and put on next to nothing?

I couldn't work it out either! I would concur though and be as sensible as you can.

Vicky
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I am using research, actually. The general recommendations are for women who are overweight to gain 15-25 pounds and obese women to gain 11 to 20 pounds. It's not something where you can just try to eat healthy and not worry about it. If you don't gain weight at a steady pace, you could get some nasty complications, such as hemorrhoids and whatnot. There may be exceptions, but the normal recommendation is a moderate amount of weight gain for women of all sizes.

All due respect please see edit lol I think I anticipated this response. I gained 12 lbs which fitted in with my BMI. I did not aim to lose weight. I aimed to gain at the appropriate times. U are under doctor supervision as per any normal pregnancy. U increase protein, dairy and fruits and veg. You still avoid high processed foods which usually mean high sodium which means problems with blood pressure when that can already b problematic during pregnancy as well as gestational diabetes and pre eclampsia. Innumerable problems! Me - blood pressure. When I said research..I was not having a go at you. I meant in general..most women who fall pregnant be it your second or fifth still need to pick up a book or two to guide them through.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have had 4 pregnancies carrying 3 to term. Each pregnancy was completely different for me, as if it was the first time each time. The only thing that remained constant is that I gave birth earlier and earlier each time. My little guy came out 5 weeks early. Sooo, you never know how your body is going to respond. After my miscarriage I gained a bit of weight and didn't really take it off before getting pregnant again. I think I was around 170, normal weight for me is 143 at the top of the scale. But in between my second and 3rd baby, I got down to a really good normal weight without even trying. Go figure. Basically just ate one meal a day at that point. I would just like to add that it is harder on your body, the more overweight you are and your body goes to feeding you instead of the baby. Often obese women give birth to small babies. But all of these are choices you have to make. Holding the baby in your arms for the first time erases all the bad memories of carrying the baby and child birth (I was not a happy pregnant lady lol). Things usually work out just fine in the end. If I took a break in between any of my kids, I would have probably stopped earlier. I used to want 4 kids lol. Now hubby is getting the snip snip because I am DONE. lmbsao. Enjoy your babies, it is the hardest and most wonderful job in the world.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I did with my second child during the first and second trimesters. I ended up at 220 when I went into labor, and left the hospital at 170. I'm not sure how much I weighed before I got pregnant, but I can tell you that my normal jeans were not tight anymore. I wore those home from the hospital and recovery from labor and delivery was so easy. I was at the grocery store three days later. My doctor was impressed. He stopped "traffic" at the checkout to tell everyone he knew I just delivered an over 10 lb child. I got applause!

Pregnancy is a great time to pay attention to your diet, and to remember that you are not eating for two. The plus to eating healthy during pregnancy is that it will continue after delivery. It may not seem like you are losing weight by the scales, but if pound for pound you are adding and subtracting (add for baby, subtract for extra weight) and eating correctly for the pregnancy, there is no reason that you cannot come out of the second pregnancy in better health with virtually no additional weight to lose.

Good luck!
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    There are healthy plans that the doctor can issue - at least over here anyway - that allow you to lose weight while pregnant (providing you're overweight already). What it means is that you're losing while baby is gaining, so it looks as though you've lost about 20lb, but some of it is baby weight you've gained.
    Mostly it is just keeping active and eating healthily, but yeah, if you're losing now, then it's good to keep going. Runners and weight trainers can still do the same thing they've always done up to the last week of pregnancy if they've always done it. Dancers and riders etc should do those things till the 3rd trimester and then ease it back.
    I'm not a brilliant one to talk, since I ignored the doctors advice. When I should have been losing weight, I put it all on instead.