GROCERY LIST HELP!!

Options
2»

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I find alot of my recipes on skinnytaste.com and they are phenomenal!
    I feel that unless you are going to be eating very basic like grilled chicken, straight veggies out of the can or bag, your grocery list should be easy. If you are a lover of cooking and like trying new recipes, always best to pick which recipes you want to try this week, make a list of all the ingredients and look through your pantry and fridge to make sure you don't already have some of the ingredients and know which ones you need to buy. I have found this makes me less clueless at the grocery store.

I completely agree with her here. You want to have basics to make real meals. The sugar free stuff is fine BUT you need the real stuff like veggies and fruits.

I just tried skinnytaste.com and boy was my first recipe fantastic.

I tried the Asian Grilled Chicken and it was soooo good. My whole family loved it and told me to cook it again in the future.

Here's the web link: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/05/asian-grilled-chicken-33-pts_3510.html

I would say that as you pick what you want to cook, get any missing ingredients. If you plan ahead, it'll be easier to make decisions about what to eat.
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals and snacks first, then make a shopping list. It's much cheaper this way.

Yes, planning ahead really helps. If you find this overwhelming, theme your week. (Crockpot monday, taco tuesday, roast wednesday, fish friday, etc.) Theming makes it fun and helps add variety. I cannot tell you how much stuff has gone to waste because I bought lots of good stuff and didn't use it. Really helps to have a plan in place. :)

Good luck!
  • RokkinRobin
    Options
    I'm all for easy stuff, especially when grabbing stuff to pack in my lunch. I am never without fresh cucumbers and celery, la tortilla factory's mini wheat or bran wraps, reduced fat cheese, thin sliced turkey breast, cottage cheese singles, 10 calorie jello cups, raw almonds...

For a meal I like boneless skinless chicken thighs (grilled with a little bbq sauce they are great), fish (I get what is on sale to save money), or lean cuts of beef. for taco meat, use ground turkey and mix in some refried beans to cut fat and make it go further.

I love seeing the ideas of others... Thanx everyone
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    red seedless grapes
    blue diamond hundred calorie pack dark chocolate sprinkled almonds
    jimmy dean fully cooked turkey crumbles (makes GREAT tacos)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life whole wheat bread! It has only 35 cals per slice. There is a white bread version but it doesn't taste as good.

Greek yogurt. Flavor with vanilla, splenda and fruit.

Fruit, lots of it!

Vegetables. Pick all the bright colors! Choose sweet potatoes over white.

Whole wheat or higher fiber pasta. They keep you full longer and don't make your blood sugar spike like regular pasta does.

Oatmeal, whole grain rolled oats. Not the quick or prepackaged, sugar and sodium filled junk. Oatmeal with crushed fruit and splenda (or whatever sweetener you prefer) is awesome. I also pour in some flax seed.

For snacks: 100 calorie popcorn (it's high in sodium though), low fat, no sugar pudding, boiled eggs (when I first started and was hungry, I'd eat just the whites to fill me up as there are only 17 cals in one large egg white), sugar free jello, frozen fruit bars (there are a lot of 70-90 calorie bars), string cheese (again, high in sodium though), cut up a bunch of veggies once a week and keep them at eye level in your frig

Skim milk. You get used to it and it's good for you.

Nuts and dried fruits to make trail mix but only if you can control your portions. 1/4 cup has 160 cals but it's very filling and easy to carry around.
  • kimmyannl
    kimmyannl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bex0178
    bex0178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump