Three Weeks In

Options
Hello, I'm not sure if anyone is reading, but on the chance that you are, my name is Tracy. I am currently over 300 lbs, I have diabetes, and high blood pressure. For the first time in my life, I am actually concerned and afraid for my health. Upon seeing my Ophthalmologist and confirming the diabetes, I decided it was time to get serious about my health. So I am in my third week of physical activity. I am walking the track at a local park. I started off, and all I was able to do was one lap around. The second day I pushed myself to do at least two. By the end of the first week I decided to do three laps. That's the most I could do before my back, my feet, and my head would start hurting. At the beginning of the second week, I decided to stop counting laps and focus on time. Instead of walking three laps, I decided to walk for 30 minutes, then 45, now I'm walking an hour. I realized I can do 8-10 laps in an hour. I need to lose approximately 100 lbs. I know I should lose more, but I don't know if I can or should. I am focusing on my short term goals of 1-2 lbs a week. If anyone is paying attention, please offer words of encouragement, and success stories as well as anything you feel may help. Thank you all so very much. Oh, by the way, I am down from 308 to 304...small start, but a start nonetheless!

Replies

• Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You've made the first step and that's the most important thing you can do. Be proud of what you've already done. You clearly have a long road ahead of you, but we all do as this is the rest of our lives. Take each day at a time and focus on the small victories. Give yourself smaller goals to work toward.

You will find tons of support and information on this site I'm sure.

Good luck on this new journey!!
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Tracy!!! Friend me for support. I have high BP as well, I was at 240 at my heaviest. My goal is to be healthy and off the BP meds for good...This is the best site for you, and 1-2 lbs a week is the healthy way to lose...
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It's all baby steps Tracy! You may think 4lbs is a small amount, but it;s still 4lbs less than you were three weeks ago! In three more weeks you could be in the 200s! But don't just focus on the weight, focus on being healthy. In the long run you won't just see a difference, but you will FEEL a difference as well. Eating healthier, I have noticed I just feel better, like I'm not run down all day, and I have less anxiety.

Just believe in yourself and don't get discouraged if you plateau, or even regress at times. It's all part of the journey.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well done Tracy. Little and often always works. I will be happy to be your PAL.
  • CarrieEly
    Options
    You have started the path to a new you! I started off at 353 pounds and understand the pain the body feels after walking. You making short goals is important. For me I couldn't focus on the huge amount I need to lose, I focus on every ten pounds to lose. Good luck in your weight loss and becoming a more healthy you.
  • jensenkm2
    Options
    Great start Tracy. I started on MFP at 308 as well. I am 26 years old and do not have any major health problems yet minus slightly high cholesterol. When I heard that I knew I was on my way to some bas stuff and it was time for a change. I started with my diet only. Of course I do bits of exercise here and there. I try to park my car in the farthest spot int he parking lot and walk places that are short distances instead of driving. Your focus should really be on your diabetes and keeping those carbs out of your diet. Eat lots of lean protiens (fish, chicken, turkey) and load up on veggies and fruits (you can never eat too many of those). If you go over on calories because you ate a ton of veggies thats okay. Keep yourself under or around your calorie limit daily (if you go over by 100-200 its no big deal just stay under the next day. My first two weeks I lost 5 pounds, the next week i gained 3 back. I was sooo upset. I had to really focus on the food and setting a routine for eating and drinking tons of water. if you do snacks make them healthy and under 100 calories. I am currently at 49.4 pounds lost since March and hopefully headed toward at least 100 pounds lost. Feel free to add me as a friend and I can watch your journey and help support you if you need it. The friends you will make on this site and the support you will get from them is very important. Dont forget to get your family and friends at home involved. Once they see how easy it is and how good you will start to look they will want to join. My fiance, mom, sister and uncle are all memebers now and we are doing it together.
  • donnakcraig
    donnakcraig Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    you can do this. like me, your life and health depend on it. we are too young to not turn this around. you can turn this around for yourself.

I started 5 weeks about because they wanted to send me to the er for my BP. now I added a new med at night in addition to my morning meds. I track twice a day. I eat my cal on this site and eat extra with my exercies points.

I have lost 25 in 5 weeks so I know you can do it!!!!! good luck
  • sunspeck
    Options
    Hi Tracy, I am on my first day and need to lose about 70Ibs - when i think about that then i do feel a bit panicky and wonder at such a mountain to clime. however i try to think like you and am just going to have to take it day by day, step by step. Its encouraging to read other peoples stories and ideas too - i always used to think i could do this on my own, but 4 years on I now am realising i need support and positive re inforcement , even for the smallest of goals. And the smallest ones are often the most victorious and lead on to bigger things without us even realising it ! I hope though your tough moments you remember that its ok to feel like you do and that you are not alone in all this, i will be sending you masses of positive energy and encouragement :))) hope this helps a lttle - please friend me as it would be good to help each other - big smiles Kate x
  • noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You are well on your way, and doing terrific! As has been mentioned, small goals...attainable. Just a word of encouragement about your diabetes; my twin sister once weighed 270 and was insulin dependent. Today she is 144 and no longer requires meds. for her diabetes. She has it completely under control with diet & exercise. I too am new to this. I started watching my food and exercising about 3 weeks ago. I have a considerable amount of weight to lose also. We can do this!
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    welcome, you are fantastic with your weight loss, take one step at a time proud of you doing walking. you have came to the right place for & friends, Feel Free to add me i would like to be your friend & support you.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Tracy, I'm here to tell you that you CAN do it...stay determined and focused. my amazing husband has been on a mission towards great health since he was diagnosed with Type 2! He's lost about 60+ lbs since March and feels wonderful, his energy is back! No more sleep apnea, no more tired grogginess.

Remember this is not a one time quick fix. this is about a lifestyle change. Eating the right foods and staying active, taking your medication and staying on top of your glucose levels, getting enough rest and reducing your stress will do wonders!
  • tenaheff
    Options
    Tracy, what a wonderful start. If you are comfortable with a goal of 100 pounds, go with it. I am sure 100 pounds will make a huge difference in how you feel and with your health. After you lose that 100 pounds you can reassess. If you feel like it then, you can always change your goal to lose more. If not, you will still be 100 pounds lighter than when you started!

Tena
    120111 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good luck Tracey, I am proud of you I am still in astruggle trying to get started...keep up the good work...Keep me in prayer that I can get it together, my life depends on this...need all the support I can get!
  • tracydroberts
    Options
    Thank you so much for your words! I love this place already.:smile: