Target Heart Rate vs. Breathing

Options
Way back in the day, when I had an amazing and fit personal trainer, he told me that I should push myself a little when doing cardio. He told me that one way I could tell if I’m pushing myself enough (if I didn’t have an HRM) is to pay attention to my breathing.

I should not be out of breath.
I should be breathing heavier, but have a good rhythm.
I should be able to speak, but completing a sentence without breathing heavy should be difficult without pausing for breaths in between.

This is what I do when I jog and it has always felt fine.

Lately, I’ve been working out on the elliptical and all versions seem to have heart rate sensors. I’ve had one machine tell me to slow down waaay before I even started breathing heavy. Another machine had a huge sticker that kept reminding me that someone my age should have an 80% rate of 168, making me all paranoid since I’m most comfortable between 173-181.

If I can go an hour at this rate and feel great, is it safe to keep going like this?
Or do I really need to pay more attention to the HRM?

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer but I'm curious too. I use this same technique when I'm running. It helps control my speed so I can run longer and to prevent side cramps (I get them when I'm breathing too heavy).
  • FireFae
    Options
    I'm not a professional nor do I have any education in this field, but just using my common sense, I'd agree with your former trainer. Somebody your age is just somebody your age, but only you are you and to me there's absolutely no point of doing cardio if you don't get seriously winded (well, at least when you're still on your way to getting fit, etc.)

I think you shouldn't listen to the machine, but to yourself and your trainer :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The problem with machines is they generally use the formula 220 - age to calculate your max HR. But that's just a very poor estimate. My max, according to the formula, should be 183. But in reality, it's probably 200 to 202. So, my target range is considerably higher than a machine would estimate.

I think the advice your trainer gave you is pretty good advice.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    If you're not experiencing any adverse symptoms then you should be ok just to keep going.

The target heart rate zones are estimates used to focus on different fitness goals from more aerobic at lower heart rates to anaerobic the higher you go.

It might be worth however including some sessions where you purposefully work out at a lower HR even though you might not feel it is helping due to your perceived lack of physical exertion. It helps build a solid cardiovascular basis which has many benefits.
  • ChinkyButt
    ChinkyButt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Yes, you need to find YOUR Maximum Heart Rate and YOUR VO2 max but consider this,

What your trainer was talking about was Perceived Rated Exertion (PRE) which is a scale that does not need heart rate or VO2 Max it is YOUR definition of how hard you are working and is therefore a really good indicator. Google search it, once you understand this concept it will allow you to push harder but for shorter - like Tabata Protocol.

Does a Marathon runner want to be out of breath after 100M - NO, Mr. Bolt does but each individual will have a different PRE.