Do you know what you USED to eat? OMG!

Options
As an experiment, I just entered a typical day's worth of food into MFP - a typical day BEFORE I began my journey 10 months ago. What an eye-opener! Compared to a typical day now, I've cut out 2300 calories... 2300!!! Plus 39g carbs, 114g fat (!!!), 66g protein, and a whopping 4300mg of sodium! OMG! And on top of all that, I was eating 12g FEWER in fiber. That tells you how much fruit & vegetables I was eating (not).

Have you calculated your cuts? It's a very motivating exercise. ;c)

Replies

• avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    True. Too True.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 1000-2000 calories from coffee and softdrink with heaps of sugar. I'd eat everything on bread with butter (even potato chips) and usually have about 4-8 sandwiches a day which could be anything up to another 1500-3000 calories. The only vegetables I ate were potatoes and peas with my dinner sometimes.
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    I havent calculated but I know its terrible. In one sitting I would eat a footlong sub from subway, 3 peanut butter cookies and almost a whole tube of pringles. Or those digiorno frozen pizzas, the big ones...I could eat a whole one of those. Its crazy...I would make myself sick if I tried to eat like that now. Oh, also 3-4 cans/bottles of pepsi a day,
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    thats an excellent idea!! must try that sometime and log what I would have ate in a typical day and see how many cals I have reduced my diet by :)

Thanks for that!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I went through a time of being in school/working full time that I would eat fast food for both lunch and dinner. I cannot imagine... no wonder.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't look at the macros when I did it, but once I entered just some of the meals I would have eaten and didn't even count snacks and I was up over 3,000 calories! CRAZY!
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I use to drink a 2 pk of diet soda and no water per day.:embarassed:
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    this whole summer i've been eating whatever i wanted (and i wanted a lot). I study abroad and I'm only home during winter and summer and I kinda let myself go crazy, mom's cooking and candies...
    Which i don't intend to do anymore.
    I tried to do the same thing, just out of curiosity, and i found out i was eating approximately 2500-3000 kcal a day! and i'm supposed to be on 1600-1700 to maintain my weight.
    Luckily, i was active so i didn't gain so much-but i did gain.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I was sedentary and ate pretty much whatever I wanted. Now I walk routinely and try and keep my intake within moderation.:bigsmile:
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    From about Jan-July this year, I was having a thick slab of toast and two little packs of butter from the canteen in work. Every morning. I knew I shouldn't, but did it anyway. I was also eating sandwiches or baguettes for lunch most days, eating crisps at least once a day. Because I was exhausted from working, I wouldn't have the energy to pre-prepare lunches to take with me and I'd rarely have the energy to cook decent meals in the evenings. We'd generally have some kind of chicken or fish with chips and salad or veg. Bread on the side, too.
    Drinking beers on weeknights to try to unwind, being tempted into too many takeaways on weekends...

I have to say, losing my job in July has done wonders for my energy and my diet.
  • shortnerdy
    Options
    I'm going to try this but typical I would an entire large bag of smartfood, 4 hot dogs at lunch 3 of which on white wonder bread with a process slice of cheese each and ketchup. Dinner usually take out. Mary browns fried chicken 3-4 pieces with potato wedges and gravy. Breakfast was usually 4 slices of white break with butter and chips :S How i didn't balloon up to more than my 185 Ill never know. :S
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    What you can get away with at 27 catches up to you ten-fold at 45 or 50!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I've been eating better for going on 2 full years now, and I cannot physically eat the volume of craptastic food I could eat before. I don't even come close. I was taking in something along 3000-5000 calories per day of pure junk food. If I try to do that now, I get sick halfway through. I can do fast food periodically, but not all day every day like before, and I can't do an entire bag of chips anymore either.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried logging it but I notice a lot of things that seem fairly small that actually really upped my calories - like having 4 chocolate biscuits after dinner - that's like doubling the calories of what I have for dinner now, pretty much! Or a sugary iced tea, around 100 calories... (now I have herbal tea without sugar, or drink water).

I think that's why calorie counting has really made a difference for me - I didn't think I ate that unhealthily, but actually I was consuming a lot more calories than I needed.
  • Innerautumn
    Innerautumn Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I actually thought I WAS eating healthy. My favorite salad at Chili's has over 1200 calories and I would order it with EXTRA DRESSING!!! Even things I thought were good for me were really terrible. Now I check my calorie counter app before I go anywhere!
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I used to go to McDonald's on Friday's and grab breakfast on the way to work. A large Coke, a sausage/egg McMuffin and three chocolate chip cookies.

I hit the vending machine almost every afternoon for cookies or candy.

I also would have two Reese Cups or some quantity of chocolate every night before bed.
  • seashman
    Options
    I had a super eye-opening moment when my family went to Johnny Rocket's the other day. We used to eat there all the time and when I was a kid I would split chili cheese fries with my mom, and then have chicken tenders and a kids size milkshake for me. I think there were even a few times when I was a preteen when I would do the same thing, only off the adult menu...it had to have added up to more than 2000 calories! Thankfully I got wise before it became any kind of a habit, but it still scares me a bit to think about what could have happened if I kept up with those eating habits.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Few of my dinners I used to eat I checked would have totaled over 1000 cal. The way I used to eat though was nothing during the day.. and all my food consumption would be at night.. and when my dinner would be typically over 1000cal. I also snacked after up until sleep and lets not forget the infamous soda (non diet) throughout the day. Fat in a can.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have done that too and I was shocked at the 400+ grams of carbs per day, of which only a tiny fraction came from sources like fruits. They came from chips, potatoes, coffee drinks,etc.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I think that's why calorie counting has really made a difference for me - I didn't think I ate that unhealthily, but actually I was consuming a lot more calories than I needed.

That's my problem also. I cook good food! I rarely ever ate out, had the occasional soda and did a lot of walking/hiking. It wasn't super healthy by any means but a lot more than many people. I didn't have to make too many drastic changes thankfully - the biggest thing that helped me was just to eat more slowly. Putting down the fork between bites and taking some breaths while eating was a good thing. Now I can feel that I am full and stop right away instead of continuing to 'hoover'. I'm down almost 20 pounds without much effort.