Mars disowns deep-fried Mars Bar

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
Chocolate manufacturing giant Mars has distanced itself from the famous deep-fried Mars bar by seeking a disclaimer.

The Carron Fish Bar in Stonehaven, in Aberdeenshire, claims to be the birthplace of the recipe almost two decades ago.

Plans to bid for EU protected geographical status were dropped.

Mars has written to the owners saying the product is not authorised or endorsed as it does not fit the company's promotion of healthy living.

A menu disclaimer is being sought.

A Mars spokesperson said: "We are really flattered that customers of Carron Fish Bar like our product so much that it has now become a flagship product for the store.

"No application for a protected geographical indication has been filed to date.

"Should an application be filed, unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to support it as deep-frying one of our products would go against our commitment to promoting healthy, active lifestyles."

'Craziest takeaway'

The deep-fried Mars bar has become synonymous with negative aspects of the Scottish diet since it was first reported in the Daily Record in 1995.

The newspaper called the phenomena, which started in Stonehaven, "Scotland's craziest takeaway" and said "sweet-toothed youngsters are ordering their favourite choc bars deep-fried in batter".

By 2004, the reputation of the deep-fried Mars bar had travelled the Atlantic and it was mentioned on the Jay Leno Show in the US.

Later that year, UK medical magazine The Lancet published research from two Glasgow-based public health experts who thought the craze could be an urban myth as they had never met anyone who had eaten one.

They surveyed hundreds of fish and chip shops in Scotland to find out if "the delicacy" was available and if people were actually buying them.

It found 66 shops which sold them, 22% of those who had answered the survey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-19487149

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Replies

• BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm still amazed that Mars sees it's product as an asset to a healthy lifestyle. A treat, a reward maybe for active people, but not an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. Just my opinion.
    Deep frying it is quite frankly disgusting, but the Mars bar is not a health product even without deep frying it.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    This is surely a blow to all the people who think that "deep fat fried" junk food is solely the province of the fat Americans. Thank you for letting us know that it is an integral part of America's Scottish heritage.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I'm still amazed that Mars sees it's product as an asset to a healthy lifestyle. A treat, a reward maybe for active people, but not an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. Just my opinion.
    Deep frying it is quite frankly disgusting, but the Mars bar is not a health product even without deep frying it.

well, you name one product, no matter how healthy.. and its not an "essential part of a healthy lifestyle"...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Deep frying negates the health benefits of a Mars Bar. I fully support this separation.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Say what you want about it, but I'd love to try one someday. It sounds glorious. Fatty, calorific and wholly unhealthy, but glorious.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Say what you want about it, but I'd love to try one someday. It sounds glorious. Fatty, calorific and wholly unhealthy, but glorious.

Same with the deep fried twinkie.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Mars makes candy bars, but promotes healthy eating? Huh?

So, it's OK to eat 250-calorie, no nutritional value candy bars as long as you don't dip them in boiling oil first. LMAO
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Fair food is meant to be extravagant. I don't think you can demonize any one food.

(although I do confess to having a pizza demon which motivates me against my will to reach for the delivery line on Fridays and Saturdays....) (get thee gone, Satan!)
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    What kind of fat are they frying it in?

It could be the best bit ... ;)
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

THIS!
    did you guys notice how all of a sudden all junk food companies promote "healthy lifestyle"?
  • amsohs85
    Options
    LMAO...sooooooooo the Mars company thinks they promote healthy living?????

Here's some:smokin: and some:drinker: to go with that oh so healthy Mars Bar....Whootwhoot!!! Give me a break...spare me the "we are so offended by the use of our product in a fried dessert!!" :laugh:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

THIS!
    did you guys notice how all of a sudden all junk food companies promote "healthy lifestyle"?

All of a sudden?

It's been going on for a long time ... decades ...
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    I can't believe we have a thread debating the health benefits of a Mars Bar. Deep-fat-fried or not, it's a Mars Bar. Tasty as they may be they aren't healthy by any stretch of anyone's imagination.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth.. deep fried Mars Bars are delish!

as are deep fried snickers, twinkies, oh henrys and twix bars
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I like my deep fried Mars bars with a gallon of whiskey and hookers and blow.

(seriously though....deep fried candy bars are delicious)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

^ This
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Mars has been trying to make a move towards making their products a little more health-concious. They have a long-term goal of reducing calories and sodium in all their products. Probably what has influenced this announcement.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I don't find the idea of deep-fried Mara Bars appealing, but the other Scottish treats of deep-fried pizza or deep-fried black pudding I'd be happy to try!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

THIS!

All of a sudden?

It's been going on for a long time ... decades ...

haha not where i live. mc donalds especially, i mean who are they kidding? their SALADS (even without dressing) are full of sugar and additives.