body pump

Options
is body pump of lesmill a Cardiovascular or Strength Training?

Replies

• Chrisswa
    Options
    I think its more strength training :)
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Its cardiovascular excercise unfortunately.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a bit of both, really! Depends on how heavy your are lifting.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Its cardiovascular excercise unfortunately.

Is true, it will build endurance, and is light strength training, but you wont gain a lot of strength.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I do this class and it really is more cardio than anything - I use it for my cardio and I lift on opposite days
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think it's a mixture of both - i'm not sure if i've gotten a lot stronger but i'm definitely more toned
    I find it helps if you mix up your weight every now and then for the extra challenge/give your muscles a shock :smile:
    if you're a les mills member i highly recommend the new grit classes - they're a killer but boy do you feel awesome afterwards!!
  • lolobi1
    Options
    I'm an ex body pump instructor and its actually a full body workout, and is a mix of aerobic and weight lifting. its fun but can get monotonous if the instructor uses the same repetitive music releases.
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex body pump instructor and its actually a full body workout, and is a mix of aerobic and weight lifting. its fun but can get monotonous if the instructor uses the same repetitive music releases.
    ^this^

It is total body using barbell weights. You can add muscle using it by adding weights. It is also cardio because it is fast paced & high rep.
  • lolobi1
    Options
    ^this^

It is total body using barbell weights. You can add muscle using it by adding weights. It is also cardio because it is fast paced & high rep.

yep, what she said :-). overall importance should be focus on proper form and correct posture.
  • SydneyBristowe
    Options
    In terms of MFP tracking its Cardio - I burn around 600 calories for an hour.

How much it develops you strength wise depends on how much weight you lift. I'm still a relative beginner, but even with light weights I can still see that my muscles are more defined and I'm getting stronger all the time.

It's my all time favourite class and I've chosen my gym for years based on if they run Body Pump classes!!
  • nnmmss
    Options
    600 Kcal?????/ really so i have to confess , something should be wrong in my body pump class, I burn around 250 kCal.
    I am 40, 169 cm, 63 kg.
    i do squat with 20 Kg total.
    triceps 10Kg
    chest 10 Kg
    biceps 5Kg
    lunge 15 Kg
    these are the MAX i had.
    so can i know the weighs and calory the others have to compare with mine.
  • nnmmss
    Options
    any idea?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It's a cardio/muscle endurance class. Definitely not strength training.

I took a couple of classes over at the rec center just for kicks. Not my thing but I always like trying new things as far as fitness is concerned.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Muscular endurance and cardio class. And you aren't building muscle unless there's a calorie surplus and even then, it's VERY minimal if that.

Strength training is progressive in weights at LOW REPS. Body pump reps are in the range of 12 or more. That's NOT strength training, it's muscular endurance training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Muscular endurance and cardio class. And you aren't building muscle unless there's a calorie surplus and even then, it's VERY minimal if that.

Strength training is progressive in weights at LOW REPS. Body pump reps are in the range of 12 or more. That's NOT strength training, it's muscular endurance training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^ This!!
  • Sakye
    Sakye Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question to one of my gym's trainer and he said it was endurance/cardio. If you want to increase your strenght, I'd suggest you to add weight lifting to your weekly routine.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    600 Kcal?????/ really so i have to confess , something should be wrong in my body pump class, I burn around 250 kCal.
    I am 40, 169 cm, 63 kg.
    triceps 10Kg
    chest 10 Kg
    biceps 5Kg
    lunge 15 Kg
    these are the MAX i had.
    Your burns at 250 are what I burn. I am 48 5' 148 lbs, I use the same weights as you.
  • lolobi1
    Options
    I am 40, 169 cm, 63 kg.
    triceps 10Kg
    chest 10 Kg
    biceps 5Kg
    lunge 15 Kg
    these are the MAX i had.

Everybody is different hun...it doesnt matter what u burned, how do u feel after the session? hopefully exhilarated ;-)
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I count this as cardio - circuit training in MFP.

Definitely not strength training (at least according to this place).