Looking for support from guys/gals that lift

Options
Just started with a personal trainer and have been lifting for about a month. I really need support from people who believe that building lean muscle mass is more important than all the cardio and weight loss.

I'm not looking to get the body of a bodybuilder by any means, but I think this may be the key to ultimate fitness for me.

Thanks! REALLY appreciate it.

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Q: What's the best fitness routine?

A: The one you stick with.

I love lifting. Cardio is a thing I associate with intense boredom and/or injuries. Yuck. I mean, I still do it because my trainer yells at me if I don't, but it's not *fun*. Picking up something that was too heavy to lift a week ago? ULTIMATE POWER SURGE!

The only reason I started working out in the first place, and didn't quit after the first week (or month, or year), is because I promised myself I wouldn't try to lose "weight". I have lost fat - two pants sizes down without moving the needle on the scale - but that wasn't the goal. The goal was fitness, and it's a moving target but at least it's fun heading towards it.

When I chose my personal trainer, he asked if I was sure I wanted to work with him and not with one of the fitness models, and my answer was dude, I want to be able to flip a tire, not wear a bikini. (Not that there's anything wrong with that as a goal, it's just not one that motivates *me*.) He's been great, very supportive of my goals, and I've just now started going down in weight because he's helping me do it without losing any of that lovely muscle I've worked so hard on.

So yeah. Do what you love and the rest will follow. Or it won't, but at least you'll be enjoying yourself along the way.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Just started with a personal trainer and have been lifting for about a month. I really need support from people who believe that building lean muscle mass is more important than all the cardio and weight loss.

I'm not looking to get the body of a bodybuilder by any means, but I think this may be the key to ultimate fitness for me.

Thanks! REALLY appreciate it.

Weight loss is equally or more important than lifting. However lifting is th eonly critical exercise for looking good when the weight is lost.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just really LOVE lifting. SO empowering!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Send a request here.
    I'll seed you out to my group.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Come join us in this thread and post your successes no matter how big or small they are. The only thing that matters is that you're trying hard and making progress. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/712595-strength-training-pr-s-brag-about-your-success
  • IronTitaness
    Options
    I so enjoy weightlifting. I lift 5 days a week. I have my own tiny gym at home :). My friends tease me telling me that I can send flyers around that a new gym has opened :D. I lift 4, usually 5 days a week BUT I do cardio 5 to 6 times a week as well. Feel free to add me. I need the support :).
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi Laurie,

I have used weights on and off all my life, but never with the research or intention I have right now. I am currently in stage one of New Rules of Lifting for Women (subtitled: 'lift like a man, look like a godess', lol). I log on mfp every day and like to keep my friends group small so I can interact with everyone. I would always be happy to have another lifting friend for mutual support though, so please feel free to add me!

:D
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can add me, I lift 5 days a week but i also do cardio all week too!!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge proponent of lifting. I truly believe it revs up the metabolism and gives an amazing shape. But some of e best benefits are the ones no one can see, like walking taller and mo confidentially being stronger mentally and physically and I LOVE LOVE LOVE feelingmy own muscle.. It just feels so good and tight and strong... No amount of cardio ever made me feel this great in my own skin! I have cut down a few of my 60+ minutes of cardio session to. 20-30 minute card sessions that could be an easy run or HIIT. I love it....