How is this possible?

Options
I weighed myself on 8/21 and was 245, and I weighed myself today after a whole day's food at the end of the day and was 238.5! This was done on the same sliding scale at the same gym. Is this possible? Maybe I was retaining water or something? I have been doing this since May, so 15 lbs since then isn't tons overall anyway, is it?

Is this possible or could the scale be broken? On the plus side I have been following my plan to the T.

Replies

• Jester522
    Options
    IM not understanding the problem. Elaborate.
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    Unless your idea is to gain weight, a 7lb loss is ok in two weeks.
  • aoikirin
    Options
    Well considering I have done this since May and had only lost 8 lbs until the 21st of August - this was quite surprising and I was wondering if it was possible or maybe a mistake. I don't think my original message was unclear.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow's weigh in will tell you if it was a random fluke or not.
  • aoikirin
    Options
    Tomorrow's weigh in will tell you if it was a random fluke or not.

I should do it again tomorrow?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Scale weight is really likely to fluctuate - I suggest you enjoy the sense of accomplishment this week, but don't be surprised if the scale goes up a little bit next week. I found that graphing my weight loss was really helpful - that way you get a better sense of the big picture without so much of the weekly ups and downs.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I always check a day or two after a fluke
    I appeared to drop 4 kilos in a day, sure enough it's back to having only dropped one in reality and now I'm even scared to add that to my check-in in case it vanishes!!
  • aoikirin
    Options
    Oh so maybe it is a fluke ;/
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand the problem. You weighed yourself on 8/21. Now, today, you are down about 7 pounds. What is the issue?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Body weight fluctuates a LOT during the day. a LOT. So you could conceivably step on the scale tomorrow and be right back where you started. Or, you could do it and be all astonished that you actually did lose that much :)

From morning til night, I can fluctuate around 6 lbs. I know it's not changing for real, it's just a normal body doing what it does.

Check again tomorrow :)
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on the same day at basically the same time dressed in the same manner. SO many things can make the scale fluctuate. When my husband joined me on my journey I told him to do the same thing when weighing. We just use it as a guide that were making the right choices. Even if I had a gain I won't really register it until it's still there 2 weeks in a row. Which for me it never is when I know I'm making the right food choices. It just means that on Tuesday at 8am my body didn't know it was supposed to show a loss. My body fluctuates so much over the course of day and of a week it's just too discouraging for me to weigh myself more than once a week. I keep a journal and I see my weight loss has a pattern. Being a woman I have a week where I had a big loss. Next week it's less. The next week it's less and the 4th week it can be no loss or even sometimes a gain. BUT the next week I start again with a big loss and the pattern repeats itself.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself in the same way every time. Wearing the same, or similar clothing/shoes/etc., same time of day, same scale, etc, to minimize the random flukes. However, you could have been retaining water for one reason or another, and that's part of the loss. If you've made any major changes in how much water you're drinking, how much sodium you're getting, etc, this will cause a huge change in weight.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself in the morning again to get a more elaborate weight. I often step on the scale twice in a row and both times get two complete different readings. Scales drive me nuts.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    it could be a fluke, if it isn't it's possible your body is liking what ever you are doing and starting to drop. This is why more "Dieters" fail because they expect immediate results and don't stick with a healthy plan.

You are sticking and sometimes you'll see favorable sometimes you won't. It's all about how your muscle is building and your fat is shedding.
  • 40tmw
    40tmw Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Folks - READ his original issue, it's pretty clear. It was the SAME day! I have dropped significant weight during the same day (four pounds once) but it was back up to the other weight the same day. Yes, sometimes can be water weight - it amazes me how much this impacts a weigh in at any given time. It might not hurt to try another scale, but sticking with the same scale is usually best. I hope for your sake it wasn't a fluke! Good luck!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Folks - READ his original issue, it's pretty clear. It was the SAME day! I have dropped significant weight during the same day (four pounds once) but it was back up to the other weight the same day. Yes, sometimes can be water weight - it amazes me how much this impacts a weigh in at any given time. It might not hurt to try another scale, but sticking with the same scale is usually best. I hope for your sake it wasn't a fluke! Good luck!

No, it wasn't the same day. He said 8/21 and then today (9/5). However, you are right, weight fluctuates. That's why measurements are better.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I have had similar things happen. Basically, your scale records everything including water. Your body can retain a lot of water so you can lose fat and stay the same weight. You may have just flushed a bunch of water out.
  • frankhanson
    Options
    Don't second guess yourself. Your goal is to loss weight. Continue what your doing and weigh yourself at the same time next week. Compare the results and see what happens, you'll know if something isn't right. Data doesn't lie. I would not recommend jumping on and off the scale every day or you'll drive yourself crazy.