how do I record strength training

Options
I was doing the cafemom workout strengthen, tone, and condition video and I don't know how to record that in my log. It was a half hour work out.

Replies

• katpkg1307
    Options
    I typically use "strength training" under cardio. 100 calories per hour (per my trainer).
  • bobbienelson
    bobbienelson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I need to find out how to log in this category too. I work-out for 30 minutes at CURVES for Woman and it's a combination of strength and cardio and I've been told that a normal work-out (depending on intensity) will burn about 400 calories. The closes thing I can find on here is cardio training and it shows that I've only burned 240 calories for that amount of time. Is there a way of changing that number?
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    HRM + strength training under the cardio section = strength training calories.
  • diztimetoshine
    diztimetoshine Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have asked this question to a few friends. None have which have been doing weight training. I would like to know as well
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    hrm is utterly innaccurate for strength training...
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Explain?
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options

Explain?

Yes, please!!!!
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options

This..
  • Thundermountain
    Options
    heart rate monitor is innaccurate for strength training? how do you figure?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor is innaccurate for strength training? how do you figure?

How high does your hr get up when you strength train?
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was doing the cafemom workout strengthen, tone, and condition video and I don't know how to record that in my log. It was a half hour work out.
    I think when I did it I typed it in manualy and then when you add it again in brings strength training up and you click on it. hope this helps, just play around with it that's what I did.
  • fudgiemudge
    Options
    I needed that question answered as well. Thanks for the responses. Very helpful!
  • Jynus
    Options
    easy. hrms measure heartrate. And then use a formula based upon OXYGEN consumption per heart beat to guestimate calorie burn.

strength training uses the lactic acid and ATP-CP energy systems to power the muscles. not the cardio system. neither of these systems use oxygen. no oxygen used means the hrm formula is utterly useless.

HRM`s are only remotely accurate as long as you`re using your bodies cardio energy system AND doing work with it. thats it. Meaning things like going for a casual walk is not accurate as you`re not using your cardio system, but your much more efficient fatty acid system to do work. on the same token, if you`re not doing the work, it`s not accurate. sitting in heat your heartrate increases, but your metabolism does not for example. alternately burn victims can have a 6fold increase in metabolism.. yet don`t have a 6fold increase in heartrate to account for this huge increase in calorie burn. hrm is a very specific device. used outside of it`s parameters and it`s very unreliable.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I use strength training under cardio, mainly just to log the time spent for myself.

I Ignore exercise calories because they are highly over estimated.

You can't exercise away eating too much. It look me 15 years to figure that out! LOL

my blog http://bobbiesfitness.com/
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have usually used "circuit Training" for the video workouts that incorporate and rotate your strength and cardio for 20-30 minutes and in most cases it comes out pretty close to numbers I have seen for other similar activities and when I monitor using my FitBit as well. It is still based on the level of activity and the time frame in which you are doing the exercises.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Strength training is not really something that you can quantify. If you use it solely for getting your heart rate up, you are not really doing strength training. That would fall more into circuit training. Real strength training burns more calories after the workout (while rebuilding the muscle) than it does during the workout. There is no real way to quantify afterburn calories other than trial and error with your own body.

What I do is bump my resting state metabolism up to the next higher category (under Settings>Update diet/fitness profile) and then log in the number of minutes using the strength training cardio option as you would regularly. It is not exact all of the time, but it seems to balance out for me.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    easy. hrms measure heartrate. And then use a formula based upon OXYGEN consumption per heart beat to guestimate calorie burn.

strength training uses the lactic acid and ATP-CP energy systems to power the muscles. not the cardio system. neither of these systems use oxygen. no oxygen used means the hrm formula is utterly useless.

HRM`s are only remotely accurate as long as you`re using your bodies cardio energy system AND doing work with it. thats it. Meaning things like going for a casual walk is not accurate as you`re not using your cardio system, but your much more efficient fatty acid system to do work. on the same token, if you`re not doing the work, it`s not accurate. sitting in heat your heartrate increases, but your metabolism does not for example. alternately burn victims can have a 6fold increase in metabolism.. yet don`t have a 6fold increase in heartrate to account for this huge increase in calorie burn. hrm is a very specific device. used outside of it`s parameters and it`s very unreliable.

WOW - Wonderful explanation that even a non-nutritionist can understand! THANKS! :flowerforyou:
  • Thundermountain
    Options
    oi vey...

I give up. People and fitness are a crack up. too many self proclaimed experts.

Bottom line FOR ME..

A HRM is a great monitor for JUST THAT... monitoring your body.. Just as much as we like to look at results in the mirror, on the scale, or the way our clothing fits... It is a monitor. Use it for motivation. Use it as a guide in your fitness not as the GOLDEN RULE to your fitness.

Then take the comments such as UTTERLY INNACCURATE and blow them into the wind like a dandelion.
  • Jynus
    Options
    oi vey...

I give up. People and fitness are a crack up. too many self proclaimed experts.

Bottom line FOR ME..

A HRM is a great monitor for JUST THAT... monitoring your body.. Just as much as we like to look at results in the mirror, on the scale, or the way our clothing fits... It is a monitor. Use it for motivation. Use it as a guide in your fitness not as the GOLDEN RULE to your fitness.

Then take the comments such as UTTERLY INNACCURATE and blow them into the wind like a dandelion.
    great.. still doesnt change the truth that hrm is utterly inaccurate for strength training. sorry bro. don`t even need to be an expert to figure this out. it`s bio 10. human body energy systems. it`s really not that complicated.