Eating Before Workout

Options
Hey guys,

Recently me and my Mr. have decided that it would be more practical to do our workout first thing in the morning. Since after work there are just to many excuses.

He is saying that I can not go unless I eat breakfast though. I don't like to eat breakfast and never like to eat before a workout because if I do I just don't feel well. He is saying that I cannot workout with out eating first. And what he has in his mind for breakfast is to much for me. So I tried to make a compromise with him that I could just have a small snack and maybe a sport drink to go. Hes still not very happy with this :/

What would you guys say is appropriate?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.

I NEVER eat before a morning run and I typically run 2-5 miles. It would make me throw up (had to learn that the hard way).
  • CookieRehab
    CookieRehab Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I usually have the same reaction...

Thanks
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My husband has a little protien snack bar before working out in the mornings, but if I eat I feel like I will throw up. I never eat in the mornings before I workout. Good luck! :)
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Personally, I try to eat a little something like 1/2 of a protein bar or 1/2 of a banana or granola bar and some water. I also find that if I eat more than that I get nauseous. After morning workouts is when I like to eat a normal breakfast.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    If you eat too much right before a workout (as in within 1 hour) you could get stitches and/or throw up. Just tell him that.

You could have just a bit of banana or a handful of nuts, just to have some energy.
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I get up 5am to workout I never eat before hand ....always after I think I would be sick if I did too !
  • CookieRehab
    CookieRehab Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am happy I am not the only one that gets sick. Idk how he does it :/
  • CatThumbs
    Options
    I'm not a big eater before working out either, but I read that if you eat an orange before you work out it helps give you energy and prevent soreness. I always eat one before my jog and it doesn't upset my stomach at all!
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    When I do my morning workouts, I never eat before..... this was about 60 minutes of strength or 45 minutes of cardio
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I hate eating a lot before working out, makes me feel sick and super-barfy. Since I work out on my lunch hour I've switched to just light snacks all day and it works great. Something smaller is fine, especially if it's protein. I hate eggs, but something with peanut butter on it, a protein bar or shake (or half of one if that's too much), etc should get you the energy you need. Lately my favorite have been apple slices with just a little bit of peanut butter. Takes the edge off but doesn't upset the stomach!