Weight Loss Plateu - Do cheat days actually work?

Options
Hello all,
I have recently hit a weight loss plateau after losing 20lbs, I have remained the same weight for around 3 weeks to a months.
I think the main reason is because I eat the same amount of calories a day, and work out exactly the same too.
What are some tips on breaking the dreadful plateau?
I heard that having a cheat day can help to break it, but does that really work?
Please respond,

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Given what you've said, I think the problem is your workout.

Over time, your body becomes more and more efficient at performing any given exercise. That often means you enjoy it more, but it also means you are expending fewer calories while doing it. So in all likelihood, you are overestimating the calories burned in exercise, meaning your calorie deficit is smaller than you believe.

You can try new exercises, or you can increase the duration or intensity of the workouts you are currently performing.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but when I took a two week break and ate what I wanted (within reason, that is), I lost 6 pounds. o___O Broke my three week plateau.
  • WintersMoonlight
    Options
    How many grams of carbs are you eating?
    Sometimes when we consume TOO many carbs or bodies are not as efficient at burning fat as it used to be since it uses carbs before fat stores.
    Also,if you are currently within a healthy weight range your body may have just gotten comfortable at the size you are at.
    The closer you are to a goal weight or healthy weight the harder it is for you to drop weight.
    I was stuck on an almost 4 month plateau,and lowering my carbs worked.
    I used to be one of those people who supported the cheat days but all it did was stall my weight loss,make me feel lethargic and I had a lot of water weight for a week or more after,not worth it at all.
  • sammi_xx
    Options

Over time, your body becomes more and more efficient at performing any given exercise. That often means you enjoy it more, but it also means you are expending fewer calories while doing it. So in all likelihood, you are overestimating the calories burned in exercise, meaning your calorie deficit is smaller than you believe.

You can try new exercises, or you can increase the duration or intensity of the workouts you are currently performing.

You have a really good point, I normally exercise every day (or every other day when I'm busy) and I usually run vigorously for 35 minutes, and jump rope occasionally. In addition, I eat around 1200-1300 calories a day. It's as much of a vigorous workout I can get, taking into consideration that I work and am a student. Maybe switching up my workout and focussing on toning up with weights would be a good idea, thanks for the feedback :)
  • tereced
    tereced Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. I took a break (a short one) and upped my calories by 300 more than MFP recommends and the scale moved by three pounds.
  • sammi_xx
    Options
    Not sure, but when I took a two week break and ate what I wanted (within reason, that is), I lost 6 pounds. o___O Broke my three week plateau.
    Yeah, it also happened for me, a while back I had a cheat week because of the end of exams to celebrate which involved going out to eat with friends quite a lot. I initially gained 3 pounds, but then by the next week I dropped 8. I was quite surprised.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    You should consider a full diet break. And no, this isn't a binge fest. It's a planned 10-14 days break eating at maintenance. I take them every 3 months.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • sammi_xx
    Options
    How many grams of carbs are you eating?
    Sometimes when we consume TOO many carbs or bodies are not as efficient at burning fat as it used to be since it uses carbs before fat stores.
    Also,if you are currently within a healthy weight range your body may have just gotten comfortable at the size you are at.
    The closer you are to a goal weight or healthy weight the harder it is for you to drop weight.
    I was stuck on an almost 4 month plateau,and lowering my carbs worked.
    I used to be one of those people who supported the cheat days but all it did was stall my weight loss,make me feel lethargic and I had a lot of water weight for a week or more after,not worth it at all.
    You make a really good point.
    I normally try to avoid carbs as much as I can.
    For breakfast I normally have weetabix (pure wheat breakfast), and tea (with sweeteners), for lunch, a salad, and for dinner I normally have grilled salmon and vegetables.
    I don't think I consume a lot of carbs, the most important factors for me are minimizing both sugar and carbs.
    Yes, I am currently at a healthy range for my height and weight. Maybe I need to focus on working harder.
    Hmmm, that is true. It did work for me a while back, but then I got back into it again which leads me to doubt it.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

You have a really good point, I normally exercise every day (or every other day when I'm busy) and I usually run vigorously for 35 minutes, and jump rope occasionally. In addition, I eat around 1200-1300 calories a day. It's as much of a vigorous workout I can get, taking into consideration that I work and am a student. Maybe switching up my workout and focussing on toning up with weights would be a good idea, thanks for the feedback :)

I think you might not be eating enough. As I read your post, you aren't eating your exercise calories, though I might have misunderstood. I'd try to eat at least half of them.
  • sammi_xx
    Options
    You should consider a full diet break. And no, this isn't a binge fest. It's a planned 10-14 days break eating at maintenance. I take them every 3 months.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
    Yes, I guess that would work for some people.
    I love food too much, If I were to go on an extended break, I believe it would take a lot of effort to get back on track again.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    as crazy as it seems if I take a break from my walking routine 1 time every so often I break through my plateau. It stormed this am and I didn't get my hour walk in..and I will hate it and it will bug me but I can almost bet tomorrow I will have lost a few oz's.
  • sammi_xx
    Options

I think you might not be eating enough. As I read your post, you aren't eating your exercise calories, though I might have misunderstood. I'd try to eat at least half of them.

I do also add in a lot of fruit and low fat/sugar yorgurt too.
    I have estimated that I am eating 1200 calories a day on average, I've been well informed that this is a healthy daily goal for my weight (136lbs).
  • sammi_xx
    Options
    as crazy as it seems if I take a break from my walking routine 1 time every so often I break through my plateau. It stormed this am and I didn't get my hour walk in..and I will hate it and it will bug me but I can almost bet tomorrow I will have lost a few oz's.
    That's fantastic,
    I think I will try having a healthy diet and exercise break for 2 days, and then report whether or not it has worked for me in 9 days.
  • WintersMoonlight
    Options
    Yes it sounds like you eat a healthy balanced diet.

Have you incorporated lifting weights into your routine?

I also do something called HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training) and it seems to help a lot,granted for a few days after I am sore as can be but that's how you know you are doing it right?:) what types of exercises are you doing currently? Have you tried jogging on the treadmill? I know it might not seem too fun but it does help your body become stronger and it might even surprise it. ;) I hope all the answers you are receiving may benefit you in some way:)
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You may alo want to think about just mixing things up. Try a varied calorie plan where you eat a different amount each day that averages out to your goal over a weeks time, and also mixing up your workout by adding some weights. 1200-1300 isn't much at all and your body will get used to that. I like to think that I have to keep my body guessing. I do 2 really tough workouts a week and 3 moderate and I vary my calories accordingly (by eating back some and sometimes most of my exercise calories). It's not as scary as just taking a break (at least for me).
  • sammi_xx
    Options

I also do something called HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training) and it seems to help a lot,granted for a few days after I am sore as can be but that's how you know you are doing it right?:) what types of exercises are you doing currently? Have you tried jogging on the treadmill? I know it might not seem too fun but it does help your body become stronger and it might even surprise it. ;) I hope all the answers you are receiving may benefit you in some way:)
    Thank you very much for being kind :)
    I actually work out everyday, I run for 35 minutes a day (vigorously) and occasionally jump rope. I would have to say that I prefer cardio to strength training/lifting weights because I get sore really easily, but I'll suck it up and start lifting some weights and trying to tone up.
    Thanks for the feedback :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    three weeks isn't a plateau.
  • WintersMoonlight
    Options

Thank you very much for being kind :)
    I actually work out everyday, I run for 35 minutes a day (vigorously) and occasionally jump rope. I would have to say that I prefer cardio to strength training/lifting weights because I get sore really easily, but I'll suck it up and start lifting some weights and trying to tone up.
    Thanks for the feedback :)

You are welcome! Sounds like you know what you are doing.
    Sometimes it's best to wait a bit longer and keep trying to shake things up.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I think you should try cheat days and see if they work for you. A lot of people need them to balance out the good days. I try to maintain an 80 / 20 balance to allow myself some variation and not get too bored with my eating patterns.
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are working out with the same exercise now as when you started, then if you want to get the same calorie burn you will need to try running for 35 mins with 20 lbs strapped to you! Rather than do that, if you want to same calorie burn and so more weight loss, you will need to exercise a bit more. I really recommend weights. If it makes your muscles sore then start light and be patient, but i reckon that will help. It sounds like you are in a healthy eating zone, and if you think cheat days might jeopardise that then I wonder if it would be sensible to make that your first plateau-breaking strategy. It might work for some, but with your psychology it might do more harm than help. If you really don't want to try weights then maybe try running for an extra 10/15 minutes, and don't eat back those extra calories, and I would not be at all surprised if the weight started coming off again. You seem to be eating wel and 1200 calories fine in my opinion.

I really wish you good luck with it. Actually losing weight and seeing it on the scales can be really motivational for denying yourself food, and I would find three weeks to be a long time to not have that satisfaction for your efforts. But, it should help you start thinking about what maintenance might really look like, once you are at a weight you feel happy with, and thinking through what will motivate you to remain at that weight once you get there. Just thinking ahead ... (because you will make it!). :smile: