Do you track when you gain?

Options
I've put on 2lb, stupid I know. But it's given me a kick up the bum to track harder & better.

But do you update your weight when you gain, or shall I just ride it out and wait untill theres a loss again to change it and update it?

Seems a little silly logging the same 2lb as weight loss, if it found me again!

What do you do?

Thanks!

Replies

• NWriceC
    Options
    I log it all so that the history stays true and you can either see your progress or your decline, lol.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I probably will this time, except for T.O.M. fluctuations. I haven't in the past and wound up gaining back the 35 I lost ....and then some. Keeping a blind eye has not worked for me in the past. If my gain lasts more than 2 weeks I will update my ticker.
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i never log it because the next week i always lose more weight from the weight two weeks ago... if this makes sense. i never truly backtrack. i guess its usually just water weight.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I probably will this time, except for T.O.M. fluctuations. I haven't in the past and wound up gaining back the 35 I lost ....and then some. Keeping a blind eye has not worked for me in the past. If my gain lasts more than 2 weeks I will update my ticker.

This, except I will only wait a week to update if that weight stays.
  • diztimetoshine
    diztimetoshine Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have, it makes me realize that I have to be accountable for what I eat. Seeing the gain is painful... I am weighing the same time once a week... Good luck
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes remember mfp is a tool for you. Most folks will never know your gain or loss unless you have them as a friend . If they are here with you on MFP then they too go up and down. I weigh my self every day and record only on Monday. Women just yoyo. You got this. Stay the course.

Patsy
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, once a week. Sometimes, if I know it's just from high sodium content the day before, I'll wait ONE extra day to log. But never more than that. Weight loss isn't linear. It's important to remember that a gain one week means very little in the grand scheme of things!

Here's my chart over the last 16 months:

i-Zc3Xpmw-L.jpg
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Depends on how long the gain lasts. Sometimes we gain cause of too much sodium..or too much food one weekend..but then it drops off. If the gain sticks around for 2 weeks..I will count it
  • FenderGuy
    FenderGuy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I recommend logging everything and staying accountable. You are just fooling yourself if you only log the losses.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If it stays up for more than a week or 2 then yes I log it. I give myself a chance to get back down there again first. If I can't get down to my low after awhile, I go ahead and log the higher weight and keep on going.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'll also record the gain if it sticks around MORE than it should. :\ That's where I'm at right now. Went out to eat and am retaining a LOT of fluid. I was actually UP 3 lbs from last WI when I should have been down at LEAST 1.5 lbs. So I am working on staying at my calories for the day. Will weigh in again tomorrow and it BETTER be down. If not, will just have to keep plugging away. It will come off eventually...even if it's not as fast as I'd like.
  • Chellie_Bellie
    Options
    I log everything, if I have a gain I can see what may have caused it if it happens again. If I have a really good loss I go back and see if I can figure out how to do it again. But most of all it keeps me honest with myself.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Yes otherwise I feel like I'm being dishonest with myself and I will have no way of looking back to see what happened
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I log everything, including my body measurements, which I am paying far more attention to ever since I switched to Maintenance mode.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I log it. I hate doing it but if I don't log my setbacks, I'll give myself leniency later.
  • saugonda1
    saugonda1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes I do
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I report both losses and gains. If I want to be true to myself and others I need to accept the good with the not so good. :)

Besides when you go up like that, you usually lose it back off pretty quickly.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but I log once a week. If I'm sitting at the same weight for a whole week, then go up or down on my logging day, I don't log it and wait to see what the trend for the week is. I don't want to log fluctuations, just real mass/fat change.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If I'm up on my weigh day (Friday), I log it.
  • scottg1024
    Options
    I didn't before, but I definitely do now. The problem was I would get in the mindset, "oh, I just have to lose an extra pound to catch up" but soon things started to slide and where I claimed to be and where I actually was were two distinctly different things. Then there was the mental hurdle that I had to lose enough weight to make the number correct, rather than lose weight to simply be improving. Don't cheat yourself - even if its a little - its a slippery slope.