slow progress

Options
was wondering if people who reached. close to reaching, their goal weight if at the begging even though you tried hard, ate well and worked out if progress was pretty static? and even so you carried on anyway if it caught up?

ive already posted about my weight not moving well i wish i hadnt bothered as it now has moved...up a 1lb.

i feel so deflated i under stand muscle weighs more but im not sure ive done enough strength to start gaining, ive done 2 days of 30ds and 2 sessions in the gym only leg weights, i do pole dancing 1-2 times a week i guess thats strength, i have to carry my body weight doing moves. but i mainly do cardio and i dont have fixed day off i just do a workout every day unless something happens that means i cant..think in 3ish weeks ive had 4 days off.

i have so much fat to loose im not sure how i can fix this.

i geuss i just need some stories to show me i will get there if i keep it up coz atm i feel like im physically incapable of getting back my pre baby body no matter how hard i work at it :(

oh yeh ps. im eating cleaner then i ever have b4 and am always in the green on here :s

Replies

• Aqua0276
    Options
    My tip and it works for me, you need to let your body know that you're not starving it but eating more cals on a particular day. Still exercise on that day, but eat loads. If your cals are 1200 - eat 1400 - 1500. I make sure I earn those cals back with exercise and I don't eat crap, but it works. For me anyway and a couple of my friends.
  • jodiegr88
    jodiegr88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    it is slightly nerve wracking to do that tho in my head its like if i go over ill gain...that being said im under pretty much all the time and its not exactly doing me an favors haha

ill give it ago.
  • himynameislara
    Options
    I agree with Aqua0276 :) I find that my weight loss plateus sometimes. I think it's because my body has gotten used to what I'm feeding it, and I put a day in a week where I allow myself to go over my cal intake by about 200. That way my body is surprised and burns some serious calories!!

But it is really demoralising when you've worked your bum off trying to shift weight and nothing changes (for the better, anyway). I've been there and it's really hard to keep going. All I can say is keep at it, maybe try a different exercise to shake things up a bit :)
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 lbs in the first 3 weeks doing 1200 calories and then I plateaud for FIVE weeks with NO change!

Everyone told me I wasnt eating enough. So I tried 1800 calories and nothing changed.

As soon as I started eating 1500 I lost 3 lbs for the past 2 weeks each.

So right now I am eating around 1500 and losing consistently. I hope this continue to works for me.

Something about when you dont eat enough your body thinks you are starving it so it grabs and holds onto all the fat, thus making it hard to burn off - so you dont lose any weight. You need to give your body the calories that it needs just to function.
  • jcraig1980
    Options
    I will agree. I hit a plateau these past couple of weeks, of course as I am so close to goal. So when this does happen I find that mixing up my diet helps. One day I will eat 1400-1600 calories, and then another I may drop down to 800. Not suggesting you go that low, but I try to pick a day to stay ubber busy and distracted from food. It seems to help kick start it back down. Sometimes I will just cut my carbs way down and that is all I need to do. I am a shorty at 5' 3" and if I eat 1500 calories a day everyday I will consistently gain weight.
  • jodiegr88
    Options
    yeh i think that might be my downfall its just a strange concept to get my head around ive always thought burn more cals then you consume is a sure fired way to shift weight, seems its more give your body the cals it needs to workout....

and my workouts are pretty varied, i mean pole dancing is something you continually progress at and it varies from class to class some days your great at spins the next you might be rubbish but are killing the inverts.

ive added 30ds as ive heard amazing things about it.

and when i can i go to the gym for cardio machines, fast walk, a ski stepper thing and rowing.

im not sure how i can vary it much more haha thanks for the sugestion tho :)
  • jodiegr88
    Options
    Well im expecting this to happen closer to the goal but ive only just started :s

its very annoying for me as ive been heavier then i am now by alot, and lost it all without even thinking about it and maintained for about 5 years i got to lower then my goal.

and now im actually trying its jst not happening for me haha sods law!!
  • wendye1960
    wendye1960 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would agree with trying the differ your exercise routine that worked for me recently. I've been losing fairly consistently since May when I started but 4 weeks ago I only lost 1/4 of a pound and the week after 3/4 of a pound I altered my exercise and for the last two weeks have lost 2 and 1/2 pounds and 2 and a 1/4 pounds respectively. I've not really tried the food alterations but I am noticing that I seem to be getting hungrier as my weight is going down so I must be getting my metabolism going more I suppose. I know I also have loads more energy even on days where I haven't slept well the night before as well.
  • bigwagon52
    Options
    New to training- Anyone new to exercise will more than likely gain a few pounds in the beginning due to water and glycogen retention. It's natural and common.

I just read this on a post. Maby its you. Remember it takes time to gain fat and also to lose fat. Dont give up.
  • jodiegr88
    Options
    interesting, unfortunately im far from new to exercise...been pole dancing for gettin on 3 years, i was on my unis cheer squad and been a gym rat/fitness dvd user for 8 years. not sure i could lose all that progress in the time it took to have one baby haha...but im not ruling it out.

i shall keep trying anyway i missed exercise being preg and am enjoying being active again and my second day of 30ds went loads better then day 1 so im optamistic i can get fit again :)
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Read this article; I found it helpful. Best of luck to you!

Why the Scale Goes Up When You Start a New Workout Plan

By Chalene Johnson

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

My own personal example of this is running 10Ks. I don't do it very often, maybe once or twice a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race, you push much harder. It's natural for me to be insanely sore the next day. It’s also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it's still a bummer. We're all human and hard work should mean results. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting ourselves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break. Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process.

The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose weight when they eat more because of these fluctuations.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong. And I learned it all from a coach with multiple PHD’s by reading his books in the Venus Index Workout and The Anything Goes Diet.

my blog http://bobbiesfitness.com/
  • SickSkilz
    Options
    I have hit plateaus a couple times while losign weight. There are several options but the point is to change somethign up. Starvation could be an issue as it was for me. Here are 2 things I have had work for me

1) For 3 days try to net 0. Eat your full calorie burn plus what you excercise and no less. Then go back to eating less. You may gain a little doign this but for me it sort of resets me
    2) A couple times in 2 or 3 days, get truely full. Not full of garbage, just full of healthy foods but that do have calories. I did this by eating a small breakfast and lunch but a 1200 calories dinner.

For me, eating 500-1000 calories under what I burn works for 3-4 days and then i get too tired or overly hungry. So on Wednesdays and Saterdays I now always go over on calories. On Thursdays and Sundays I eat 100% of what i burn and then I go under by 1000 calories the other days.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    My tip; when I lost 35 lbs and got within 10 lbs of goal; I joined a challenge. A REAL challenge; that was split up into teams and you posted every day. You got points "coins" for each task "logging food, staying On Plan, Not eating junk food, drinking 8 oz of water, drinking 1/2 your weight in water (in oz up to 100oz), doing 30 minutes of exercise, taking your vitamins, doing OARS (special exercises established for each challenge)); it was fun b/c you were trying to rake in the points to be the winner of your team, but also to help your team be the winner of the challenge. It really helped me lose that last 10 lbs. It was amazing how I could be eating within my calories and NOT be eating "on plan" and still be eating JF (junk food is defined as food that has no nutritional value but has calories)

Also - one thing I noticed after I lost all that weight; I noticed my weight fluctuated quite a bit if I got too much sodium. I am much more sensitive to sodium than I was when I was over weight.....let me put it another way. When I was overweight I didn't NOTICE the fluctuation from sodium because I was overweight, but when I lost all that excess; it became VERY noticeable. I would check your sodium intake (its hidden every where).

When you plateau...you have to do one of two things (notice I said ONE of two things; you can't do both): change your calories (either up or down) or increase your exercise.

With the calories you can try this approach which I've heard will get you over a plateau (heard from the dietitian and fit coach on eDiets but I've never tried it); that is eat your calories as planned (say 1200-1400) M, T, W, then on Thurs eat 1500-1600, then F, Sa, Su back on the 1200-1400, M eat 1500-1600; what this is supposed to do is rev up your metabolism. Like I said I've seen it recommended to break a plateau, but I haven't tried it. However, it does make sense to me.
  • jodiegr88
    Options
    Read this article; I found it helpful. Best of luck to you!

Why the Scale Goes Up When You Start a New Workout Plan

By Chalene Johnson

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

My own personal example of this is running 10Ks. I don't do it very often, maybe once or twice a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race, you push much harder. It's natural for me to be insanely sore the next day. It’s also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it's still a bummer. We're all human and hard work should mean results. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting ourselves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break. Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process.

The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program!

this is fascinating thanks for posting its really helped, i wasnt going to give up anyway but its deffinatly restored some hope as i ached more then ever after my first day on 30ds
  • jodiegr88
    Options
    Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose weight when they eat more because of these fluctuations.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong. And I learned it all from a coach with multiple PHD’s by reading his books in the Venus Index Workout and The Anything Goes Diet.

my blog http://bobbiesfitness.com/

This makes so much sence to me, the first time lost my weight i barely ate, only coz i wasnt around the food and i didnt feel i needed it, it fell off i only started exercising wen i became a normal size n was taught by my ex how to eat right n workout...

also really overweight people always lose looads the first few weeks coz they have alot to lose thats why i was abit hummm why have i stopped wen i only just got started and have sooo much to lose. im 5.6" and 210lbs 60lbsbaby weight but 70lbs to shift..

thanks everyone for the really detailed info i love to find out why our bodys do stuff any more scientific stuff please send this way :)