When to get your first tattoo?

Options
I assume that the ideal time to get your first tattoo would be once you achieve your weight loss goal. That said, how long would you recommend "maintenance" before getting inked? Six months? A year? A year and a half? Two years? Any personal experiences or thoughts on the matter?

Replies

• Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want.
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    I got my first tattoo for my sixteenth birthday. I'm twenty one now. You get your first tattoo whenever you're ready. I don't understand what you mean by maintenance,haha. There really isn't any "maintenance". There is aftercare, ofcourse, but they'll explain that to you when you get your ink done.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have no plans of any tattooing but if you are trying to get a tattoo where you might have 'loose' skin, you should probably wait 3 years as that is about the time it should take for things to firm up plus regain tends to happen within the first year or 2.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I just tattooed my wrist to avoid deformation haha.

It depends on where you want the tattoo. I personally would never get a tattoo in an area that frequently changes shape - stomach, low back, etc.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i got mine when i was almost 19 and i was overweight then. i've gained weight over the years and have gotten two more since. my skin is still good enough to shrink back when i continue to lose weight and all my tattoos are in spots with tighter skin anyway (lower back, upper back/shoulders, inner arm under the wrist). none of them have stretched or anything... but i'm waiting to get my next one when i officially lose 40 pounds (halfway there!).

There's really no absolutely perfect time to get your first tattoo, except when you absolutely know what you want and where. The rest really doesn't matter.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think it definitely depends on where on your body you're wanting it. :-)
    stomach/hips etc might be the only places I'd personally wait until I was at goal to get.. that is if I wanted a tat there xD
    Otherwise most places on the body don't stretch or change general shape when losing weight. At least in my experience.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Never sounds good to me.
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think maintenance should be based on the tattoo. For example, my shoulder one can get maintenance whenever but if I had one on my ribs and I'm trying to lose weight, then maybe weight. It's up to you.

Nikilovesaxl - maintenance is when the tattoo fades or the original artist didn't fill in all the corners and needs touching up.
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Whenever you are comfortable with getting it. It's permanent so you want to be comfortable with it, not depending on others. It took me 3 years of thinking to get my first one. ;o) I contemplate everything...
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    you dont have to do it on a weightloss goal. i was going to do that for my first one, but then found something different to do it for...i have three currently, soooo be careful they are addicting! lol but my first one i got on the year anniversery of my grandmother passing away. its on my left hip/thigh area, another on my ankle and another on my wrist. but you don't have to be a certain wait to get ink, unless again thats your own personal goal. just make sure its what you want done b/c once its done its done
  • TheGuyMatt
    Options
    I think what she means is that after losing weight, and that person wants a tattoo, should they get one right away? Or should they make sure they can keep the weight off before getting the work done?

I'd vote make sure the weight stays off, first, unless it's somewhere that a little extra fat won't make it look bad.
  • Pudgebrownie
    Options
    I got my first tattoo for my sixteenth birthday. I'm twenty one now. You get your first tattoo whenever you're ready. I don't understand what you mean by maintenance,haha. There really isn't any "maintenance". There is aftercare, ofcourse, but they'll explain that to you when you get your ink done.

"Maintenance" referring to maintaining your goal weight (not losing or gaining).
  • Pudgebrownie
    Options
    I just tattooed my wrist to avoid deformation haha.

It depends on where you want the tattoo. I personally would never get a tattoo in an area that frequently changes shape - stomach, low back, etc.
    Good considerations. I had a baby not too long ago, and I agree, don't get tats in those postpartum pregnancy areas..
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    Not really sure what you mean by maintenance before getting a tattoo. If you're worried about stretching on the skin or anything that totally depends on the placement. I'll tell you on mine that regardless of weight gain over the years they have not really changed, the skin is very resilient. I have eight - ribs, back, ankles and tummy and I have seen little to no change in the lines. I had my ribs and tummy done when I was 21 and weighed about 115, even after gaining around 40 lbs over the years they haven't changed. The most important thing for tattoos is *take care of them* to keep them pretty. Moisturize during and after healing, always use at least a light SPF lotion when out in the sun.
  • kimberlyhaddix
    Options
    I got mine when I was 38! It took me that long to decide what I wanted and I am very happy with both of mine. It's really a personal decision. When you feel ready go for it!
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want. I would just be wary of getting one in an area that will change with pregnancy, weight gain/loss, etc. I recently got another one on my back. Originally I was going to get it on my stomach and I'm so glad I didn't because I'm sure it would stretch.
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options

"Maintenance" referring to maintaining your goal weight (not losing or gaining).

I see. Well, as someone stated a few posts before, just watch areas that are known to stretch (arms, thighs, stomach, hips). Other than that, mine have stayed perfect. I have one on my wrist, one on the back of my neck and on my ankle. I don't think they're going anywhere :smile:
  • stagegoddess
    stagegoddess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i have four tats and only the first one has had any deformation but its just kinda stretched out (on my hip bone/pelvis area). the wrist, behind the ear and middle of my back tats have all gone thru major weight gain/loss/gain and now some loss again and they're fine.

word of advice that i don't think anyone can stress enough: make sure this is something you'll be okay with having your entire life. my bf is trying to get two tiny stars removed from his thumbs and its been a long process to have them lazer removed
  • chunkymonkey414
    chunkymonkey414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I got my first tattoo when I was 17 at a tattoo party, with my mother's consent, of course. I did it there because I knew the artist.
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    There's really no absolutely perfect time to get your first tattoo, except when you absolutely know what you want and where. The rest really doesn't matter.

This ^^