Bike shop... tip???

Options
Ok so there is a local bike shop by me... absolutely wonderful place and the owner is great. He tuned up my bicycle for free because the gears were slipping. Do I tip?
He's awesome and it's his shop, he's a young guy who really pays attention to his customers. Sometimes tipping can be offensive, sometimes NOT tipping can be. If so, how much?

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    The bike shop I go to has a tip jar and we always tip. They are way below price from other bike shops and have super service. I always put a buck in the jar at least depending on what they're doing.
  • Culley34
    Options
    Sure - tip him or buy him a gift certificate to somehwere -- maybe a local restaurant or something.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    how much to tip? the job is probably like $15 maybe elsewhere? I was thinking like $5-$10
    They don't have a tip jar. I'm glad you guys are saying to tip because I'm leaning more towards it. If he was charging me like $50 or anything I probably wouldn't think to but it's such a wonderful shop.
  • redcon1228
    Options
    If it's a $15-20 job total I would slip him a $5 with a heartfelt 'Thank you-- I'll be back."
    A good bike shop and mechanic can be hard to find, which is why I do almost all of my work myself these days.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    We tip bike shops now?!??!?!?! Okay call me clueless!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Maybe if he served you lunch. Reward him with your future business.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    In my younger days I was a mechanic in a bike shop... tips were fairly common. Like any non food server, the amounts varied greatly. But it was always great, as a tip was never "expected."
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    I have a great shop here... I have been known to bring them a sixpack of good beer when I pick up my bike. While its not money, they do tend to remember you.

As far as the "we tip bike shops now?" Why not? there is no law that says you ahve too, however I know my guys work on a pretty thin margin even when you buy a bike that is 4 grand.... I also know that my guys will work on your bike most excellently even if you choose not to tip. They are good people.