Aren't some strength exercises technically cardio too?

Options
Now, I'm hoping I'm not fleshing out an already fleshed-out topic, or asking a stupid question, or even showing how out of shape I am...

But aren't some strength exercises cardio too? If my heart rate is up, and steadily up, then how come I can't count that as some cardio? If it does count, then why won't myfitnesspal count certain strength training as cardio, and adjust your calories acccordingly?

Am I thinking too much, or do I have some wiggle room?

Don't get me wrong, I know that I need to do some actual cardio. But aren't I burning calories when I do, say, squats and lunges?

Replies

• Culley34
    Options
    Yes, for instance: My cousin is a crossfit trainer and the workouts generally last between 15-20 minutes -- but it's a number of different exercises with no weights.

I remember having to do 5 sets of 30 burpees and alternating them with 5 sets of 50 squats. It's go at your own pace, but you're not supposed to stop -- your heart feels like it will jump through your chest.
  • Daneelbel_Lee
    Options
    Okay, that's good to know. So why doesn't myfitnesspal count it?
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    There is a strength category under cardio, that is what I used.
  • frizbplaya
    Options
    "Circuit Training, General" is an option under cardio. Circuit training is when you do several strength exercises with little rest between. It's a blend of cardio and weights.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    no, strength training is NOT cardio. totally different things.

if you say take your everyday workout dvd where you say do squats and shoulder presses while holding 3lbs weights and do say 20 reps of that, then you`re not doing strength training. you`re doing cardio.

far to many people have the mistaken assumption that just because they are holding weights and moving them in patterns consistent with strength training, that they actually are doing strength training. nothing could be further from the truth. most workout dvds and circuit training type things are actually cardio.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

if you say take your everyday workout dvd where you say do squats and shoulder presses while holding 3lbs weights and do say 20 reps of that, then you`re not doing strength training. you`re doing cardio.

far to many people have the mistaken assumption that just because they are holding weights and moving them in patterns consistent with strength training, that they actually are doing strength training. nothing could be further from the truth. most workout dvds and circuit training type things are actually cardio.

Basically this, strength training is strength training. Cross-Fit is a method of training that has some strength focus and helps with aerobic activity.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Please elaborate
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think I know what you're talking about. If you're doing high reps/movement with little rest, that's technically interval training. Try categorizing it under Circuit Training when you record your exercise. I do a lot of bootcamp style classes and that's what they're based on.
  • Restybaby2012
    Options
    What is strength training

...........and

What is circuit training

...........and

As a rookie with a lot of weight to lose, what is recommended for time...per day et al

Please and thank you
  • Jynus
    Options

Please elaborate
    if you`re using the ATP-CP energy system to perform maximal load exercises, you`re doing strength training. Problem is, atp-cp energy systems only lasts for aprox 30 seconds or less before failure. if you`re able to go for longer than that, then you`re not using that system. thus not strength training.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    yep, me too.

Nearly all exercises will have at least SOME cardio component and at least SOME strength component to them; it's just a matter of degree.

Even like running and biking take some strength, and participating in them will preserve your muscle strength as compared to being totally sedentary. However for anyone who is not seriously sick/deconditioned to the point that they don't have the strength to walk, this strength benefit is so miniscule that it's not worth thinking about at a strength exercise.

By the same token, certainly lifting heavy objects for a few seconds, resting, repeating will raise your heart rate. This will provide some cardiovascular benefit, again as compared to being totally sedentary. But, it's not as effective for cardiovascular benefits as a lower-intensity activity that you could maintain at a steady rate for 15+ minutes, so, again, not something that most would label as a cardio exercise.
  • jamesey73uk
    jamesey73uk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are lots of programs out there that use both strength and cardio together - common program is Body Pump from Les Mills this is a cardio work out with weights over a 60 minute period! Design for functional strength as well as cardio endurance!
  • Jynus
    Options

...........and

What is circuit training

...........and

As a rookie with a lot of weight to lose, what is recommended for time...per day et al

Please and thank you
    strength training 3x a week using a template like starting strength. on offdays, feel free to add in 1-2x a week of some low resistance circuit training movements.

strength training is anything VERY heavy with a rep range of under 8 before failure. circuts is basically a training style where you take a bunch of movements, and do them one after another with little to no rest between. it`s NOT strength training, more cardio and muscular endurance training.
  • Jynus
    Options
    yep, me too.

Nearly all exercises will have at least SOME cardio component and at least SOME strength component to them; it's just a matter of degree.

Even like running and biking take some strength, and participating in them will preserve your muscle strength as compared to being totally sedentary. However for anyone who is not seriously sick/deconditioned to the point that they don't have the strength to walk, this strength benefit is so miniscule that it's not worth thinking about at a strength exercise.

By the same token, certainly lifting heavy objects for a few seconds, resting, repeating will raise your heart rate. This will provide some cardiovascular benefit, again as compared to being totally sedentary. But, it's not as effective for cardiovascular benefits as a lower-intensity activity that you could maintain at a steady rate for 15+ minutes, so, again, not something that most would label as a cardio exercise.
    you seem to have the basics. but do understand that the body has different energy systems and muscle fiber types. and the activity you do determines which are being used, if any at that moment in time. a proper exercise template should span all energy systems and muscle fiber types. you`re correct that there is overlap, but not to the degree which you may think there is. running and biking almost exclusively use Type I fiber if you`re pacing. It`s not until you`re past the anaerobic threshhold repeatedly that Type II fiber starts to be used enough to retain muscle tissue for example. And type IIb fiber will not be touched through any sort of cardio. you need big amounts of resistance to properly target those fibers. or VERY high intensity movements.
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you are asking if you burn extra calories while lifting weights, the answer is yes. Now how much energy you burn(Calorie deficit) depends on alot of things, but to simplify how hard and how long you workout. I have gone to the gym and put on my HRM and executed 5 sets of heavy lifts (Squat, Dead Lift, Snatch, etc) with moderate rest and had an elevated HR (burned more calories) so there is benefit there. Now a Crossfit, Intervals, Giant set program using Medium to heavy resitance where you keep your HR elevated by minimizing rest works real well to burn calories.
  • Restybaby2012
    Options

...........and

What is circuit training

...........and

Please and thank you
    strength training 3x a week using a template like starting strength. on offdays, feel free to add in 1-2x a week of some low resistance circuit training movements.

strength training is anything VERY heavy with a rep range of under 8 before failure. circuts is basically a training style where you take a bunch of movements, and do them one after another with little to no rest between. it`s NOT strength training, more cardio and muscular endurance training.

this helps more than you realize.. Thank you so much.

Basically what Ive been doing then is more of a circuit training albeit very simple for 20-30 at a time 6 nights a week. I enjoy it so far and will expand as I get more into it.
    ...again, thank you
  • Daneelbel_Lee
    Options
    Weird un-double post.
  • Daneelbel_Lee
    Options

...........and

What is circuit training

...........and

Please and thank you

Ahh, okay. This makes perfect sense. So technically, what I've been doing...not strength training.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I do a class at my gym called "Group Power" which is a weight class, choreographed to music (it is way more fun than it sounds). Basically, you work one muscle group for an entire song (4-5 minutes). I would definitely count this as cardio training as opposed to weight training in MFP. Does anyone else do this kind of class?
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    thank you all for this info. It really clears up what I should have been logging in the 1st place. it's circuit training not strength training. will change my log for today's workout now.