You can be fat AND fit!

Options
2»

Replies

• millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've got news for you... If you live long enough, you won't look good with your clothes off now matter how skinny youa are! :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad:

so true!!

I posted to get opinions, so thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely not advocating staying overweight and using this as an excuse to do so, though maybe the thread title was a bit inflammatory :devil:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I've got news for you... If you live long enough, you won't look good with your clothes off now matter how skinny youa are! :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad:

so true!!

I posted to get opinions, so thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely not advocating staying overweight and using this as an excuse to do so, though maybe the thread title was a bit inflammatory :devil:
    No, it's not. See above.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Some of this might be true. My best friend Daniel fit into this category of metabolically fit. No high blood pressure or sugar. No high cholesterol. But obese. And at the age of 37 he dropped dead.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yeah but you won't look good with your clothes off..

END OF DISCUSSION

I always have to laugh when people say this. It is strange to me that this is actually a goal for some people. (Maybe it's because I've been married for nearly 20 years) :laugh:
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    579441_380469625338355_144159505636036_1196171_1955862427_n.jpg
    This man is not impressed with your opinion. (He's 65)

Ugh. Truly, those arms are reptilian. Not nice.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Hmm. I think I like it.
  • tenaheff
    Options

I didn't state an age. Let's see what he looks like at 90...
  • tenaheff
    Options

I been unfortunate to see some really really old dude in the gym locker room and some of them had great bodys. So its really what you do. If a 69 year old can look fit and good why not keep working out?

First of all people... It was a joke, hence the smileys... second of all, I never said what age was long enough...
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the 245-pound fit woman. People should be supported and focus on habits. It's also possible for people to be in the "obese" category and be healthy - I am hovering at 180 pounds, 5' 8", 38 years old, and am not at risk for any obesity-related disease, but this country would have me think I'm hugely fat and in the obese range (though not morbid, obviously).

While I want to become leaner, I lose weight really slowly eating very sensibly and working out tons. If I don't become leaner, should I hate my body and say, screw it! I should eat lots of junk and sit on the couch!? No. I absolutely have to have the ONLY goal of being well. Body image is BS. You could lose your nose tomorrow in a freak accident, fit man, or live to be 100 and not look like you think you want to look, or get cancer and lose your hair and energy. Life's unpredictable and how you look is no measure of who you are.

Be fit at whatever size, and good for everyone making changes.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Some of this might be true. My best friend Daniel fit into this category of metabolically fit. No high blood pressure or sugar. No high cholesterol. But obese. And at the age of 37 he dropped dead.

Wow I am so sorry to hear that, did you ever find out the cause? was it weight-related? sorry for you loss x
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options

END OF DISCUSSION

I'll never look good with my clothes off so what do I care?
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

END OF DISCUSSION

Awww... :(
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    If you're obese, you still need to lose weight, even if you're "metabolically fit." This is the kind of crap that has obese people thinking they don't need to lose weight because they aren't sick... yet.

Why?

The study revealed that obese people who were metabolically fit were as healthy as skinny people who were metabolically fit. While skinny people who were not metabolically fit had the same health issues as obese people who were not metabolically fit. The study found that it is not a person's weight that is important.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

END OF DISCUSSION

I always have to laugh when people say this. It is strange to me that this is actually a goal for some people. (Maybe it's because I've been married for nearly 20 years) :laugh:
    I too have been married a long time and I am 61. I still couln't imagine not wanting to look hot for my wife and vice versa. We are a long married couple. Not dead!
  • MarisaLWood
    MarisaLWood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm quite muscular when I'm at or close to my ideal weight... yet according to the BMI charts I still have a BMI in the high 20's. Charts don't tell the whole story.

Right now I'm at the low end of obese (BMI about 31)--but I can bench-press 90 pounds, can do 45 pushups before tiring out, AND regularly do moderate to strenuous hikes. My resting pulse is 68--same as it was when I was 18 years old, and I'm in my 40's!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

END OF DISCUSSION

Can't imagine that being true! Women's fit bodies are beautiful!!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    In high school I always was considered "over weight" but people said it looked like I need to lose 5 or 10 lbs absolute max, but in reality I'm considered obese. My dad is the same way (5'8 and 200). But my dad is super muscular and strong it's insane. Just naturally. And that's the way I am too (not that muscular looking, female, hello). But I was always in good shape, always ran the fastest sprinting, and distance. I played soccer competitively, was a competitive cheerleader, and played basketball competitvely. I also did track and cross country. I can lift 3x more weight than my husband can for lower body strength. In leg presses, he is no match ;) I was injured, so put on some weight, but I'm still fit and strong, and more fit and strong than my other "skinny and fit" friends. So i'd say, yeah.