When to get your first tattoo?

Options
13»

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Whenever you think you are ready, you could make it a goal, hit goal weight get your tattoo, but if you dont feel like waiting go ahead and get one. All I would say is if you plan on doing any sort of office work, don't get it where it will always be visible (so not on your face!) and certain parts of your body hurt alot more than others.. I got my first one in college, my second one came a few years after.. And Don't get something generic or from the wall, have them draw you something you want and then take the copy with you.. don't get something 100+ people already have.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    >> When to get your first tattoo?

At exactly the same time you want to disqualify yourself. Unless your shipmates, or cellmates, guilt you into it, don't do that.

Chick with a tattoo? Turd on a pizza.

How embarrassing for you. You accidentally posted your opinion in a thread where no one cares about your opinion. :embarassed:
    :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

At exactly the same time you want to disqualify yourself. Unless your shipmates, or cellmates, guilt you into it, don't do that.

How embarrassing for you. You accidentally posted your opinion in a thread where no one cares about your opinion. :embarassed:

:laugh:
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    As soon as you know with absolute certainty what you want and where you want to put it. Just be sure about it....don't get one because it's "trendy" or the cool thing to do.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about placement. I have 3 and in places that aren't as affected with weight loss as others.

To those posting garbage about "never" and "respect your body" the OP didn't ask for your opinion on whether or not she should get one.. Nowadays you're in the minority as far as tattoos go so it really doesn't benefit you to spout off about it.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i have eight tattoos, five of them are on areas where i've gained and lost weight (calves, thigh, hip). they haven't been distorted or warped by weight gain or loss, though they seem to "move" a little bit. the tattoos themselves seem to stay the same size, but since the flesh around has gotten smaller, the tattoos seem larger in comparison. for example, i have a train on my left calf that i had done when i was heavier. it used to only occupy the side of my calf, but now it sort of wraps around to the front a little bit. i also have a tattoo that goes around my entire right thigh and that hasn't really changed with my weight.

that said, i found it LESS painful to get tattooed when i was heavier. the train on my left calf was done at about 135-140lbs and it was an easy peasy experience. the carousel horse on my right calf was a reward for hitting 115lbs and it hurt significantly more.
  • throgmar
    throgmar Posts: 16 Member
    Options

"When should I get a tattoo? I'm not asking for your opinion! Really!'

Brilliant. You're a real thinker. Go get your ink, genius.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how long it will take for you to get time with a quality artist. To many people get instant gratification tattoos, and not enough wait for an appointment with someone who does spectacular work. The best guy I know of has a 6 month wait list unless you stand outside his shop for several hours Saturday morning to do a walk in. So if that is the kind of guy you are talking about, the line forms at 7:00 AM.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I set my timeline to when I hit goal, but then realized I'd been at "goal" before and then slipped! I set my new timeline to 6 months at goal. So far I've slipped a little and am getting back, but wondering if getting the tattoo would have given me a more visual reminder to stay on track. So, for me, this time it will be when I hit goal (again!) as a good reminder.
    Really, that was the long answer to say "when you make your goal"!
  • ashedw425
    Options
    Whenever you are ready to make the commitment, because that's what it is. After you make really sure that what you're going to have inked is something you can LIVE with because it's there forever and ever! Oh, and after you find a good and reputable tattoo ARTIST! Always original art and never flash.

I got my first at 18 and my most recent (not last) 3 or so months ago.