Getting back into running, Need new running shoes to buy?

Options
I need to purchase new running shoes. Want the mizuno's but they are $200. I can not afford to spend that much on a pair of shoes. What other options do you suggest?

Replies

• aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. What works for me, likely won't work for you. You should be able to spend around $100 on a good pair.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. What works for me, likely won't work for you. You should be able to spend around $100 on a good pair.

Agree, 100%
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You should go a specialty store and get fitted, if you haven't already. You might find that the shoes you want, aren't what's best for your gait or foot. That happened to me.... Also, you need to give the salesperson your budget. Most reputable stores will find you a suitable shoe within you budget.

Once you find a pair you like, you might see if the previous model is similar. That should save you some money.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a good running shop in town, go to a shoe store that has their shoes on the floor (not one of the ones where you have to ask a sales person to go in the back and get your size). Try on as many as you can and notice how they feel, how they cup your heal, how they support your arch, how wide or narrow they are in the toebox, how tight or roomy they are across the top of yoru foot, etc.

Pay attention to all of those things and figure out what supports your foot the best (not necessarily what feels the best), and give those a shot.

But a fitting is your best bet if possible.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    get fitted for new balance if that option is available in your area. Otherwise the best brand is Brooks.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    get fitted for new balance if that option is available in your area. Otherwise the best brand is Brooks.

Aside from the "get fitted" part, this post is garbage.
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    My best advice is to find a good running store. Let them check your feet out, ideally on a treadmill, and then let them suggest something. Everyone's feet are different.. I ran in New Balance for a long time, switched to Asics, and now am in my first pair of Newtons, which I absolutely love. But what you need could be completely different.

Price-wise, a very nice pair of traditional (cushioned heel) shoes should cost $100-$150. A nice pair of more minimal shoes (lower heel) should be under $100, but they also won't last as long.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    If you don't have a good running shop in town, go to a shoe store that has their shoes on the floor (not one of the ones where you have to ask a sales person to go in the back and get your size). Try on as many as you can and notice how they feel, how they cup your heal, how they support your arch, how wide or narrow they are in the toebox, how tight or roomy they are across the top of yoru foot, etc.

Pay attention to all of those things and figure out what supports your foot the best (not necessarily what feels the best). You'll probably want them a little tighter than your normal/casual shoes, so probably look at a half size smaller.

Buy the ones that support your foot the best.

The issue with this is, the way a shoe feels doesn't mean it's going to move your foot the way it needs to (or NOT move it) based on whether or not you need a correction.

Also, most shoe fit experts suggest 1/2 to full size larger for running shoes. I go a full size myself. Tight is bad. That's how you lose toenails.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Pay attention to all of those things and figure out what supports your foot the best (not necessarily what feels the best). You'll probably want them a little tighter than your normal/casual shoes, so probably look at a half size smaller.

The issue with this is, the way a shoe feels doesn't mean it's going to move your foot the way it needs to (or NOT move it) based on whether or not you need a correction.

Also, most shoe fit experts suggest 1/2 to full size larger for running shoes. I got a full size myself. Tight is bad. That's how you lose toenails.

Really? Your running shoes are bigger than your casual shoes? That's not been my experience, or that of most people I run with.

Yes, which is why I said what supports your foot the best, not the ones that feel the best. Hard distinction to make for a lot of people, but if you wear enough shoes you can get the feel for it. And I'd only suggest this option if a fitting isn't an option. Not everyone has a running shop near them for fitting (myself being one of them).
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Brooks
    New Balance
    Mizuno
    Asics
    Saucony
    Nike
    etc
    etc

All good brands. I wouldn't rank one over the other. Just depends on your foot.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My running shoe is a full size larger than my every day shoes. I wear Nike, which tend to run smaller anyway.
  • studyinstead
    Options
    Nike Pegasus.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It will cost a bit for new shoes but get fitted or go to runners world and look at the shoes for your type of feet. They have different shoes for over pronaters, under pronaters, etc. Make a list and go try some on at the store, write down the brand and model that works. Once you know a model and brand that works you can shop around for the best price, either online or in a store.

Super important to get a shoe that fits YOUR FEET.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Also, most shoe fit experts suggest 1/2 to full size larger for running shoes. I got a full size myself. Tight is bad. That's how you lose toenails.

Really? Your running shoes are bigger than your casual shoes? That's not been my experience, or that of most people I run with.

Yes, which is why I said what supports your foot the best, not the ones that feel the best. Hard distinction to make for a lot of people, but if you wear enough shoes you can get the feel for it. And I'd only suggest this option if a fitting isn't an option. Not everyone has a running shop near them for fitting (myself being one of them).

Yep, really. I can't think of a single running friend that wears a running shoe the same size or smaller than their dress shoe either. Interesting.

Yeah, I get what you are saying about the feel of the support. Most people aren't going to be able to make that distinction though. Maybe a better alternative is running through the Shoe Dog feature on RoadRunnerSports.com and letting it tell you what type of shoe you need and work from there. At least it's a starting point.
  • aswearingen22
    Options

I think it's fairly common knowledge that you buy running shoes around a size bigger than you normally wear in order to allow your feet to expand while running. Tight shoes are bad. They feel bad and you lose toe nails.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I think it's fairly common knowledge that you buy running shoes around a size bigger than you normally wear in order to allow your feet to expand while running. Tight shoes are bad. They feel bad and you lose toe nails.

But big shoes allow your foot to move/slide, leading to other issues.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I will add that I like my track shoes or racing flats to fit more snugly, but I'm only wearing them for 10K and shorter distances.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Yep, really. I can't think of a single running friend that wears a running shoe the same size or smaller than their dress shoe either. Interesting.

Yeah, I get what you are saying about the feel of the support. Most people aren't going to be able to make that distinction though. Maybe a better alternative is running through the Shoe Dog feature on RoadRunnerSports.com and letting it tell you what type of shoe you need and work from there. At least it's a starting point.

Compared to a dress shoe, I can see that. But compared to your "everyday" sneakers (assuming they aren't last year's running shoes)?

Just ot be clear.. I'm not trying to argue my point versus your point... I edited my original post because you make a good point about all this and how it's all relative to how you wear your every day shoes. The point is to make sure they fit right.
  • aswearingen22
    Options

One size up is not big enough to feel like you're slipping in the shoe. Straight from runnersworld...buy them with room, not tight. They don't specifically say a size big, but they say around a half inch of room at end of toe. Every runner I know goes up a size in their running shoes...sometimes two sizes, depending on the brand, like Nike.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--10779-0,00.html
  • jacksonpt
    Options

One size up is not big enough to feel like you're slipping in the shoe. Straight from runnersworld...buy them with room, not tight. They don't specifically say a size big, but they say around a half inch of room at end of toe. Every runner I know goes up a size in their running shoes...sometimes two sizes, depending on the brand, like Nike.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--10779-0,00.html

ok. I concede.