carbs from fruit

Options
2»

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss goes it doesn't matter.

As far as health goes of course the fruit is healthier. But it is the difference between simple carbs and complex carbs and your body needs some of both.
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    So I'm guess from this thread that almost all foods have good AND bad carbs? Is this correct? I've been trying to stay away from breads, pastas, pototoes, etc all of which I love. Apparently I can still eat them just not as much or as often and still lose weight?
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

sugar is sugar.

and heroin is heroin...
  • hummus40
    Options
    there are TWO TYPES of carbs...SIMPLE and COMPLEX

Fruits are SIMPLE
    Pastas are COMPLEX

meaning?

Complex carbohydrates provide a slower and more sustained release of energy than simple carbohydrates.
    (complex take longer to DIGEST vs simple)

Simple carbs provide instant energy
    Complex provide energy for the long haul

(mother of a type I diabetic for the last 14 years)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    So I'm guess from this thread that almost all foods have good AND bad carbs? Is this correct? I've been trying to stay away from breads, pastas, pototoes, etc all of which I love. Apparently I can still eat them just not as much or as often and still lose weight?

It's not so much "good" or "bad" carbs as items which cause you to over eat for various reasons (which include as much psychological reasons as physiological)

If you find that you can consume bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and they don't trigger you to over eat then by all means keep eating them. If they do trigger you then reduce or eliminate them.
  • _granola
    Options

What should be gathered from this thread is that are two different types carbs, but neither is inherently good nor bad. Moderation is key. If you like pasta, potatoes, and bread. Eat them. Fruits and vegetables are also very good for you. Eat them as well.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Once it hits your digestive system, your body turns it all to sugar and processes it the same....sugar is sugar. And yes, bread, pasta, potatoes are sugar once they hit your system. However the bread/pasta etc is more damaging to your health, but again, sugar is sugar.

Untrue and stupid. First of all, some sugars are digested differently than others- a small amount of fructose can be processed by the liver, glucose cannot- just for an example. Second, there are multiple steps in the digestion of complex carbs vs simple sugars, so it's not like they're all immediately sugar when they hit your system. Eventually, all carbs break down to sugar, but the multiple digestive steps is what differentiates "complex" from "simple" carbohydrates. Finally, how EXACTLY are bread and pasta "damaging to your health"???? I notice you use the incredibly vague term "health" rather than specifying what exactly is so damaging, I'm assuming it's because you yourself don't actually understand what you've stated and you're just regurgitating the nutritional folk-lore presented by Dr. Oz and his cronies.
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    Once it hits your digestive system, your body turns it all to sugar and processes it the same....sugar is sugar. And yes, bread, pasta, potatoes are sugar once they hit your system. However the bread/pasta etc is more damaging to your health, but again, sugar is sugar.

Untrue and stupid. First of all, some sugars are digested differently than others- a small amount of fructose can be processed by the liver, glucose cannot- just for an example. Second, there are multiple steps in the digestion of complex carbs vs simple sugars, so it's not like they're all immediately sugar when they hit your system. Eventually, all carbs break down to sugar, but the multiple digestive steps is what differentiates "complex" from "simple" carbohydrates. Finally, how EXACTLY are bread and pasta "damaging to your health"???? I notice you use the incredibly vague term "health" rather than specifying what exactly is so damaging, I'm assuming it's because you yourself don't actually understand what you've stated and you're just regurgitating the nutritional folk-lore presented by Dr. Oz and his cronies.

Obviously you haven't seen the commercial set forth by the sugar industry informing us all that sugar is indeed sugar. And its on TV so it can't be a lie... :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Finally, how EXACTLY are bread and pasta "damaging to your health"???? I notice you use the incredibly vague term "health" rather than specifying what exactly is so damaging, I'm assuming it's because you yourself don't actually understand what you've stated and you're just regurgitating the nutritional folk-lore presented by Dr. Oz and his cronies.

It's the whole grains are bad for you spiel I am betting - you know lectin, gluten, phytates, that kind of thing.

Obviously, women in Italy are now shaking in their boots over their relative health status...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Obviously you haven't seen the commercial set forth by the sugar industry informing us all that sugar is indeed sugar. And its on TV so it can't be a lie... :laugh:

I get that you're being sarcastic and I am a giant stick in the mud for responding with a serious answer to this- but the point they're making is HFCS and cane sugar are the same- which is actually mostly true. The formulation of HFCS that is used in most food applications is HFCS-42, which is 42 %fructose, then there is HFCS-55 (55% fructose) which is sweeter than HFCS-42 and primarily used for making soda, and there's a third HFCS-90 which isn't used directly in food, but used primarily to make HFCS-55 from HFCS-42. Cane Sugar (table sugar) is 1 molecule of fructose attached to one molecule of glucose, so 50% fructose. So most of the "High" fructose corn syrup used for food isn't actually higher fructose than table sugar- it's kind of a misnomer. It's still not something that I want in my diet regularly, but in the case of the commercials for this one specific thing, they're actually right. They're chemically very similar.
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options

I get that you're being sarcastic and I am a giant stick in the mud for responding with a serious answer to this

I was being sarcastic. I actually loved your answer :wink: I agree that "sugar is sugar" is a BS response...
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    What's the context? If your calories are in check, protein is in check, fat is in check, have as many or as few carbs as you want.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What should be gathered from this thread is that are two different types carbs, but neither is inherently good nor bad. Moderation is key. If you like pasta, potatoes, and bread. Eat them. Fruits and vegetables are also very good for you. Eat them as well.

^^^^^^this.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Im a type 2 diabetic and have to carefully watch my carbs. I must keep them below 50 per meal. I do

However........I eat some fruit every day and almost daily I eat a small plain baked potato drizzled with lemon juice.

....................and Ive lost 50 pounds since July

>Im so freaking proud of this I could puke.....I just weighed in....9 pounds in 10 days!!!!<

Sorry...didnt mean to derail your thread.
  • byanyothername56
    Options
    I am new, but I think there is alot more to consider nutritionally to the whole thing. Most fruit is high in carbs, but also high in fibre, making them more acceptable than the "white carbs". You need carbs for your body to function properly. Its more about balance and quantity.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Fruit, bread, wholegrain rice, sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, wholegrain pasta - nothing wrong with any of these in moderation, as long as you are able to eat them in moderation. I personally avoid pasta and most breads, but do eat organic spouted bread, which has just one ingredient - wheat or spelt. And I have 3 servings of fruit a day and it has not done me any harm in getting to and maintaining my current weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options

Untrue and stupid. .

:huh:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking most fruits contain complex carbs which are the more desirable of the two.If you're staying within your total calories and losing wight I wouldn't worry about it too much (if you're involved in endurance sports like running, biking etc carbs are your friend).

Fruits are simple carbs. Whole grains are complex carbs. Whether a carb is simple or complex is not because of the nutritional value. A cupcake is a complex carb and an apple is a simple carb.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002469.htm
    Carbohydrates are classified as simple or complex. The classification depends on the chemical structure of the food, and how quickly the sugar is digested and absorbed. Simple carbohydrates have one (single) or two (double) sugars. Complex carbohydrates have three or more sugars.

Examples of single sugars from foods include:

Fructose (found in fruits)
    Galactose (found in milk products)
    Double sugars include:

Lactose (found in dairy)
    Maltose (found in certain vegetables and in beer)
    Sucrose (table sugar)
    Honey is also a double sugar. But unlike table sugar, it contains a small amount of vitamins and minerals. (Note: Honey should not be given to children younger than 1 year old.)

Complex carbohydrates, often referred to as "starchy" foods, include:

Legumes
    Starchy vegetables
    Whole-grain breads and cereals
    Simple carbohydrates that contain vitamins and minerals occur naturally in:

Fruits
    Milk and milk products
    Vegetables
    Simple carbohydrates are also found in processed and refined sugars such as:

Candy
    Regular (nondiet) carbonated beverages, such as soda
    Syrups
    Table sugar
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I get that you're being sarcastic and I am a giant stick in the mud for responding with a serious answer to this- but the point they're making is HFCS and cane sugar are the same- which is actually mostly true. The formulation of HFCS that is used in most food applications is HFCS-42, which is 42 %fructose, then there is HFCS-55 (55% fructose) which is sweeter than HFCS-42 and primarily used for making soda, and there's a third HFCS-90 which isn't used directly in food, but used primarily to make HFCS-55 from HFCS-42. Cane Sugar (table sugar) is 1 molecule of fructose attached to one molecule of glucose, so 50% fructose. So most of the "High" fructose corn syrup used for food isn't actually higher fructose than table sugar- it's kind of a misnomer. It's still not something that I want in my diet regularly, but in the case of the commercials for this one specific thing, they're actually right. They're chemically very similar.

This is also what goes along with what I learned in Biology. Now, my biology text book is older (I graduated 12 years ago), and it says that basically our bodies do not have the proper enzymes to properly digest large concentrations of corn sugar. Is that part not accurate? I'm not reading the text book right now, just what I remember reading. Thanks for all of this. I stopped posting on this topic long ago to avoid the "sugar is sugar" people (and yes, that came from the advertising company for corn syrup, which is very readily available and is a big part of the economy right now).