Excersices and Lower Back Injuries

Options
Hello everyone,
I've just started a diet and cardio (walking) but I would like to start going to the gym and start a series of exercises but I have a lower back injury (Bulging Disk L4-L5) that I don't want to aggravate. I have been looking online but I've not been successful getting an answer. Can someone help me? If you know what I should do or what exercises I should try let me know. I want to be a healthy.
Thank you!

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I've just started a diet and cardio (walking) but I would like to start going to the gym and start a series of exercises but I have a lower back injury (Bulging Disk L4-L5) that I don't want to aggravate. I have been looking online but I've not been successful getting an answer. Can someone help me? If you know what I should do or what exercises I should try let me know. I want to be a healthy.
    Thank you!

I would talk to a Physical Therapist. My PT had me doing Romanian Deadlifts and various core and back extensions for therapy. I've carried that over into my normal strength training but just upped the resistance considerably.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you need to strengthen your Core in general, both with balance exercise and strength. Google "core" exercises. Once you strengthen the muscles in your core, your lower back will be less likely to become re-injured. In your case ( I also have a lower back injury ) maybe you should see a physical therapist because form is critical.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    stretch your hammys and calves dailly, try to do ab exercises, not so easy or practical, it's tough. if you need to lose weight, do it, ASAP. I think it help to stay hydrated, all the time.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Your injury is more serious than mine, but I've dealt with crippling low back pain that I've seen a chiropractor for. The best things that I've found to do are core exercises - so ab work, bent over rows with little weight (I started out with 10 pounds on the barbell), things like that. I also do a lot of stretching after my work-out. I honestly think that's the best thing I do as far as my back feeling better goes. When in pain, I use ice. My back pain is pretty much non-existent now. You CAN overdo it and aggravate it, so start out slow and easy. If you start hurting, stop. I do believe that the right exercises (core work & walking is great), stretching, ice, and adequate rest will improve your back function. I will add that I am no doctor and would highly suggest seeing a physical therapist and/or chiropractor.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    had the surgery yrs go. I know the PAIN from a sciatic nerve. You need to talk to your Physician before you jump in . Good luck to you. :smile:
  • eecruzmd
    eecruzmd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    As most of you replied to me to see a PT or a Chiropractor before I start doing any kind of straining exercises that would hurt me, I guess that is my best choice for now. I really appreciate your concern, support and advise.
  • GellisIndigo
    GellisIndigo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you see a doctor, who could then point you to a PT. I tried a chiropractor for years, but ended up having spinal surgery. I wish I had skipped the chiro and gone straight to a doctor.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I've got disk degeneration in my l4/l5 and was told by my consultant and physio to avoid high impact exercise like running and stick to things like swimming or cycling. Plus as the others have already said you need to work on your core to support your back but don't overdo it.