Beginner Runner Tips

Options
2»

Replies

• annokoye
    annokoye Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I will certainly implement these breathing techniques. I believe most times; I focus less on my breathing and more on the time and I get easily discouraged when my legs began to feel heavy. So my main focus is to get my breathing technique together. Thanks again so much for your advise.
  • annokoye
    Options
    I most certainly can focus on my running distance as well. Thank you all so much for your positive feedback and all of the great tips as well. I will keep aiming for my 16 minutes. My co worker seems to think that I am a little stressed and that I can even accomplish the run in 15 minutes. I am over 30 so; I have to do it in 16:20 or less. My goal was to accomplish it in 16 minutes but if I can possibly reach the 15 minutes; I will certainly try that as well. I mainly wanted to know if this goal was realistic. I am working hard at this and I know I can do it; I just have to continue to conquer the thoughts that roam through my head telling me I can't. I will take all of your comments and implement them in my training. I look forward to posting a success story in August. Your responses have really encouraged me to keep working hard at it. Thanks again so much to all of you.
  • TrekkieChic
    TrekkieChic Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much for this topic! I actually came online this morning to post something similar. I'm very new to running and fitness and only started gym a month ago. My personal trainer is very keen to get me started on running but I find that I am really, really struggling to get out of my head!

Last week I could run for two minutes (at 6.8km/h, huffing and puffing as I went, but at least I was moving!), this morning I couldn't even manage 30 seconds!

So Annokoye, thanks so much for your post and to everyone who responded. I will definitely try these tips tomorrow!
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has said this use C25K, I NEVER run since leaving school 20 years ago, I now run 5k in about 33 minutes (as of this morning) SERIOUSLY all you none runners out there that want to run give C25K a go.

FYI you only run 8 minutes out of 30 in the first three days and only a minute at a time with 90 seconds in between you even get 6.5 minutes to walk at the end, included IN the 30 minutes.

If you wanna try running, give C25K a go.

GOOD LUCK.

PEACE
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Another Air Force member here, only difference is I'm active duty. Your min time for 1.5 miles is 16:58, if you are under 30. This is obtainable by August if you are willing to put in the work. The few things that will help you are; increasing your running distance (longer runs), interval training (sprint the straights and walk the turns on the track), and strengthen your core. I am a UFPM for my sq. and all these methods have seen many Airmen knock out that PT test! Also, your servicing MPF will have a HAWK where they generally have a nutritionist and exercise physiologist! You can use them for FREE :) If you have any questions or need help, by all means ask away!

Best Wishes,
    Lt. Emely-Poynter

This! ^^^^

I'm an Army Reservist, and last month was the first time I passed my APFT in 2 years. So that I don't make myself sound like a total dirtbag I have a couple of injuries, but I found that as I lost weight my joints felt better and my time went down. Last year I was running 3 times a week and I still couldn't get a passing time, but this year, 30lbs lighter I kicked that runs @ss (kinda lol).

So basically what I'm trying to say, do the runs the LT suggested, but kick losing weight into high-gear as well.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304--11903-0,00.html (4th to last paragraph)
  • MsAziz
    MsAziz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Keep you posture erect and make sure to keep your hands down near your hips, don't bring them up because that will make you really tired. Because your body has to work against gravity to push the blood to your hands.

Good luck
  • wodforbacon
    Options
    I'm a Marine who for a long time went through a rash of injuries and my run times really sucked afterwards, so I know what your feeling, and most times that leads to training the wrong way (too fast, too soon) and not seeing the results that you think you should. Having said that...think of it as if you're trying to put on muscle or even lose weight...it never really happens overnight, but if you accept that it will happen and stick with it you will definitely see improvement. Here's some tips from a dude who has done a lot of running in my life (both the right way and the wrong way)

1. Stay with the 5 times a week or at least no less than 4 (if you do 4, do some sort of cardio training at an exertion level that seems similar to an easy run, and do them for at least 45-60 minutes)
    2. Take 1 whole day off where you do nothing.
    3. Most of your runs should be easy...only do speed work 2 times a week, i.e., and interval workout or tempo run
    4. Do one long run a week at an easy pace (just fast enough that you are slightly breathing hard, but could still hold a conversation if you were running with someone) Your goal is 1.5 mile run, so your long runs should be no less than 3 miles, and don't really need to be more than 5 miles
    5. When you do your interval runs they should be close to your goal race pace, and instead of walking, jog for your recoveries.
    6. For a 1.5 mile run your intervals do not need to be any longer than 400 meters.
    7. Work on making your form more efficient (search google or youtube for "running form" or something like that. Also, if you are a heel striker, this is not good. One suggestion is getting some minimalist shoes (I use vibram 5 fingers or I run barefoot for most of my runs, but for my longer ones...8 miles or more is use something with slightly more cushion), these will teach you to run with more of a mid-foot strike, which is more efficient and less taxing on your joints, and your body in general.

Here is something that you should be shooting for and a sample week of training to clarify:

Goal 1.5 mile 16 minutes (10:40 min/mile pace)

Monday- Rest

Tuesday- 2 mile Easy run (13:30 min/mile pace) focus on just completing without stopping, and not going too fast (just building endurance)

Wednesday- Interval run 4X400 meter run (between 9:45 and 10:40 min/mile pace) jog either 200 meters or 400 (maybe start with 400 meters) at around 13:30-14:00 min/mile pace

Thursday- 1.5 mile Easy "Recovery Run" (13:30 min/mile pace)

Friday- 1.5-2 mile Tempo run (Between 10:50 and 11:30 min/mile pace) should be a good workout close to your goal pace, but not so hard that you cannot finish or feel totally spent at the end of it.

Saturday- 1 mile recovery Easy pace (13:30 min/mile pace)

Sunday- Long Easy Run ( 13:30 - 14:30 min/mile pace) for maybe 3-5 miles. Just focus on finishing the whole run without walking...if you have to walk because you are out of breath you are going too fast. This will get your muscles used to a longer distance than you need to run for your PT test, and will really bring your time down when coupled with the intervals and tempo runs.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up. Good luck to you...make sure you post the results of your test!

Even if you improve, but still failed I would still consider it a success...4-6 weeks is not a long time to shave 3 minutes off of a 1.5 mile run. If we're talking about a 10K or Half marathon that is something different. It is definitely doable, but might be hard so even if you fail but come close stick with it and definitely the one after that you will smoke!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Check out this running plan:
    http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6028

Just follow the plan and you WILL see results. I promise. I have only been running since March and I'm at 6 miles constant. :)
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I dont think you need to be confused right now by talk about intervals tempos, breathing, pace and how to hold your arms to be able to run 1.5miles in 15mins - 10min miles are a steady jog - you dont need to develop speed.

Run for longer - the one tip that's coming through here is to run for a longer time. forget about speed and distance, just stay out there for longer. Get up to 3 miles at least of gentle running.

Run less often - also think 5 times a week is too much. 3 or 4 is plenty to improve over 1.5 miles and gives you better recovery. Of course if you are running long and slow you will need less recovery.

Lose surplus weight - ( if you have any) supposedly gets 3 secs for every lb over that distance

Expect to feel awful during your test - Your 1.5 miles test should feel distinctly uncomfortable the whole time and you'll probably want to throw up after it. If it's anything else you are not pushing yourself enough.
  • emelypoynter
    Options
    I most certainly can focus on my running distance as well. Thank you all so much for your positive feedback and all of the great tips as well. I will keep aiming for my 16 minutes. My co worker seems to think that I am a little stressed and that I can even accomplish the run in 15 minutes. I am over 30 so; I have to do it in 16:20 or less. My goal was to accomplish it in 16 minutes but if I can possibly reach the 15 minutes; I will certainly try that as well. I mainly wanted to know if this goal was realistic. I am working hard at this and I know I can do it; I just have to continue to conquer the thoughts that roam through my head telling me I can't. I will take all of your comments and implement them in my training. I look forward to posting a success story in August. Your responses have really encouraged me to keep working hard at it. Thanks again so much to all of you.

below 30 = 16:22 or less
    30-39= 16:57 or less
    40-50= 18:14 or less

as you age, the time to complete increases :) Either way, you got this!
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump =)
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    One of the best things you can do is longer, slow runs. Don't just run 1.5 miles. Run 3 miles at a slow easy pace. It really will enable you to increase your pace on the shorter runs. You may not want to go out and try to run 3 miles right away, but slowly add. Make at least one or two of your runs longer at an easy pace. Also, it does help to breathe slowly and deeply. Every 3 steps, breathe in, and then 3 steps, breathe out. Don't get hung up on the breathing though. That is just a general guideline.

Check out goodformrunning.com to make sure your form is right.

I started running in December using the Couch to 5K program, and am now running 3 times a week. 3-5 miles on 2 of the runs, and working up to 6.5 miles so far on the weekends. Sometimes I really push my pace, but on the longer runs I just try for a slow, sustainable pace. I have gone from averaging over 12 min per mile to 10 minutes per mile on my last 4 mile run.

You can totally do this. Just relax!!

^^This^^ /Thread

Run for longer. I think 3 miles would be perfect. Do something like the couch to 5k program (www.coolrunning.com) to help get you on a balanced running schedule. I think it's completely doable and you will surprise yourself. Good luck OP!
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    try doing longer runs. I've never been a runner but now i'm actually quite fast and in shape. The rule i went by was focus on mileage, the speed will follow. try doing some longer runs to condition your body, and you will gradually get faster. At the beginning of this year, I was so excited to get around a 10 minute mile pace, now I consistently run a 9:20 or so, and if i'm racing its a low 8 min mile for a 5K or 5 mile. you can do it, your brain just doesn't want to.

andddd i just saw others say the same thing. get in mileage and the speed will come to you!!!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, I will be 38 in August, and I weigh 183 pounds. So I'm no spring chicken either! :wink: You can do it!
  • mz_jess83
    mz_jess83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this topic, this is a big issue with me... RUNNING!!! I'm active duty Air Force and been on a profile for a year that finally expired in March, now in September I have my PT test and will be my first time in a year running. I'm not a runner what so ever, just the thought of it makes me exhausted. Lately I've been doing interval training to build up my endurance. I need a 16:22 to pass and I'm hoping for at least a 15:30-15:45. I haven't tried to time myself yet, but I will soon, maybe Saturday, I'm going to take everyone's advice to run for longer and not be concerned about the pace, my pace may be that of a walk though, lol... I'm telling you guys I'M A SLOW RUNNER, not to mention my shins and calf's become tight. Hopefully the app C25K will get me where I need to be, fingers crossed. Keep the advice coming!!!
  • emelypoynter
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this topic, this is a big issue with me... RUNNING!!! I'm active duty Air Force and been on a profile for a year that finally expired in March, now in September I have my PT test and will be my first time in a year running. I'm not a runner what so ever, just the thought of it makes me exhausted. Lately I've been doing interval training to build up my endurance. I need a 16:22 to pass and I'm hoping for at least a 15:30-15:45. I haven't tried to time myself yet, but I will soon, maybe Saturday, I'm going to take everyone's advice to run for longer and not be concerned about the pace, my pace may be that of a walk though, lol... I'm telling you guys I'M A SLOW RUNNER, not to mention my shins and calf's become tight. Hopefully the app C25K will get me where I need to be, fingers crossed. Keep the advice coming!!!

Another thing I found that helped me get back into the swing of things after injury (I'm very accident prone: currently have a torn ATFL that needs surgery) and having children was to have a pacer. The Air Force doesn't have anything in the AFI that says you can't run your test with a pacer. If having someone pull you along helps, then by all means go for it! Some people can be demotivated by it, so make sure you try it out before you test ;) Also, check out the HAWC. I know it gets a negative stigma about it. But, when I was applying for a commission as a SrA, I wanted the highest PT score I could get to go before the selection board and the staff really helped me out. They gave me a nutrition plan and all! Happy Running!
  • annokoye
    Options
    I would like to thank everyone that provided me with so much encouragement and tips for my running. I am replying to the post so that hopefully all of my orginal MFPs that previously replied with see this post. I would like you all to know that I passed my Fitness Test yesterday and in regards to running; I ran 4 miles today. I am still working diligently at increasing my speed as well so, I have implemented a distance run which has several inclines into my regime. So throughout the week. I normally run 1.5 mile for speed Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I normally run distance runs on Wednesday and Friday. Today was my first day completing 4 miles. I must say that I am learning to love what I once feared and it is very good for me.

Thank you all so much for all of your advice and suggestions.
  • annokoye
    Options
    I am not a beginner runner but I really do not like running so that is why I used the above subject name. I am in the Air Force Reserve and I am required to be far more physically fit than I am right now. I failed my PT Test twice which Is really horrible and I am really not proud to be making this post; however, I know at times it is a must to put your pride to the side and accept the truth for what it is and work diligently at trying to make changes. I have been running with a co-worker doing intervals on some days and running the entire time on other days. I am so disappointed in myself because I can't seem to see much progress and I have until the last week of August to knock 3 minutes off my run time. My co-worker has constantly told me when I am running I can't stop. Her assessment regarding my running is as follows: I am taking short swift breaths rather than taking slowly and in a more controlled manner, I am taking shorter strides rather than stretching out my legs for long strides, and finally that I have a psychological battle going on in my mind that I can't do it. She has told me that I am improving but it really hurts that I feel like I am not improving at all because I still stop instead of completing the entire time without stopping. Currently my workout schedule is as follows Mon, Wed, Fri 0600hrs Boot Camp- High Cardio Aerobics and Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri, Sat are my running days. Is it realistic to get my run time 3 minutes down by August? Currently running 1.5 miles in 19 minutes. Some days I run well and can complete it in 18 minutes, but today I stopped several times prior to completing it in 18 minutes. Please no negative comments. It took a lot for me to post this because it is really embarrassing to me at this point.

I would like to thank everyone that provided me with so much encouragement and tips for my running. I am replying to the post so that hopefully all of my orginal MFPs that previously replied with see this post. I would like you all to know that I passed my Fitness Test yesterday and in regards to running; I ran 4 miles today. I am still working diligently at increasing my speed as well so, I have implemented a distance run which has several inclines into my regime. So throughout the week. I normally run 1.5 mile for speed Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I normally run distance runs on Wednesday and Friday. Today was my first day completing 4 miles. I must say that I am learning to love what I once feared and it is very good for me.

Thank you all so much for all of your advice and suggestions.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update!! I have wondered about you a few times. Great to hear you passed!