Worst roommate!

Options
13»

Replies

• sommerskins
    Options
    I had a roommate who was a DJ and he would bring randoms home all the time... some were howlers, some were screamers and others well, one night I had to go to the restroom and we unfortunately had to share the one that was upstairs. As I walked in the door was open to his room and I think I saw the girls ovaries!!! Can you say disgusting!!!!

He also was on the Atkins diet and would cook meat and more meat and more meat and I don't eat meat, so the smell was horrid and the greasy mess that was left behind...UGH!!! Can you say disgusting??!!!!!

I owned the house and moved out of state and I let him rent the place and when I left he got a ration of pets and let them pee and poop in the house..... Then when he moved I told him to have it cleaned professionally and he decided to just do it himself (not the cleanest guy) and when I had the place inspected they found pee and poop on the window sills and I told him it was not satifactory and he called me up and called me every name in the book..... DOUCHE!!! Then a few years later kept trying to be my facebook friend!! UM, NO!!!
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    my husbands EX best childhood friends that he knew 30 yrs...moved in and then always gave us sob stories how he was broke and couldnt pay rent. Then our utilities went from 60 to 200 and he gave sob stories that he couldnt help with that. It was because he liked to take LITERALLY 3-4 showers a day. We had several talks with him that he had to cut down his showers. He said ok. Then several times a day when I would run errands and he thought i was gone for a while, he would sneak a shower, but i would be home soon enough to catch him. So i knew he had taken like 3 showers. My husband would ask him - so how many showers did you have today? And he would say , oh just one, even though i knew it was more for sure... and then there are these old heaters in every room that are expensive. we strictly said NO using them (we have a stove thing that heats the WHOLE house in the winter). Well we caught it on a few times set to 70 - when we confronted him he said he hung his shirt on the heater dial (and conveniently turned it to 70).

Meanwhile while he sobbed about being broke and couldnt pay us anything, he got a full leg tattoo, and bought a 50 inch flat screen for his room.

We tried kicking him out multple times with notice and he refused to leave...finally he left but told everyone we kicked him out with NO notice and he had to live out of his car (LIE he went and mooched off of his stripped bartender girlfriend who was married and going thru her second divorce)

Also since i am 14 yrs younger htan him, he did not like it when i told him to do things - like PUT HIS DISHES IN THE DISHWASHER. he would straight up refuse in front of me and leave his **** on the counter. he told my husbands friends that he didnt like taking orders from "a little girl"
    my husband will never speak to him after we discovered his true colors.
  • DresdenMN
    Options
    I had a roommate that was bi-polar and refused to take medication for it. Once a week she would have "The worst day of her life' and walk around the house (stark naked) wailing about how her life is amounting to nothing. She would then retreat to her room and come out an hour or so later and ask me if I would like to smoke some meth with her. I respectfully declined.
    I moved out within a few months. I only waited that long because it was really hard to find a new place.

Did I mention the passive aggressive Post-it notes that I received daily?

And she thought she was a weed dealer but she never really sold it, she just smoked a ton of it in order to sleep because of the meth.
  • cffordd
    Options
  • Anno_Domini
    Options
    My last roommates were absolute slobs. The kitchen was the worst; they never washed a single dish and I could never cook my own dinner without having to first find the least dirty pan on the stovetop and chisel last week's mac & cheese out of it so I would have something clean to cook in. The whole house stayed filthy all the time and I pretty much gave up after a while and stayed in my room 24/7.

The worst, though, was being treated with an utter lack of consideration or thought. I once came out of my room sweaty after a workout on the treadmill planning to take a shower only to find that they'd torn up the bathroom so they could paint it and it wouldn't be available for use for several hours - I had to cancel my plans and stay home because I smelled like a goat and couldn't do anything about it. Seriously, how hard would it have been to knock on my door and let me know what they planned to do five minutes before starting so I could hop in the shower real quick? It was that kind of thing all the time....
  • LishaCole
    Options
    I have had 13 roommates over the years, and also lived on campus while sharing a kitchen with 33 people. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

-shared a dorm with a girl that would blow dry her hair 4 feet away from me at 4 am. B1tch, please!
    -one girl would make a mess while trimming her pubic hair, and then refuse to clean the bathroom. Ever. She would also sit in the bathroom for hours reading when she was fighting with the girl she was sharing a room with. 5 people, one bathroom. Not good.
    -One girl would use my teflon coated baking sheets and frying pans as cutting boards... and then freak out when told her it was unacceptable. She also stole all my dishcloths/towels and flour when she moved out ... (I stole them back eventually)
    -one guy had a dog that would go into heat and bleed everywhere.... blaaaaaa .. and then he wouldn't clean it up.
    -another guy had a dog that would YELP and HOWL in the middle of the night if he was out drinking. Ear piercing.
    - beer cans in the shower :noway:
    - condoms in the washing machine.... :explode:

I have been living "alone"with my SO for a couple years now, so much better.
  • npaverico
    Options
    I had my daughter when I was 19 and I had her all on my own (her dad bailed when I told him I was pregnant). I had a friend that had a daughter the same age and she was getting a divorce from a possessive husband. So I thought two single parents helping each other out. Where do I start.

1. One time she left the stove on all day, which I almost stuck my hand on.
    2. She left the front door open all day, forgot to shut it when she left.
    3. Would leave the tied up trash bag right by the front door (Too damn lazy to walk herself to the dumpster which wasn't far away)
    4. Would go through my closet and wear whatever she wanted and didn't even bother to ask.
    5. Went through my jewelry box and I found a bunch of my earring in my 10 month old toy box. The toy box was next to my dresser. When I confronted her, she said the kids must have gotten into it.
    6. Right before Christmas, she asked if I could pay her rent in advanced so she had spending money for Christmas. I knew how it was and know how money is tight, so I did. When she went Christmas shopping for her daughter she bought her all unnecessary clothes. I bought my daughter toys. And then she turns and gets pissed off at me when the utilities came and she told me the amount I needed to pay. I wanted to see the bills first because it sure sounded like I was paying for the whole thing. Well then she fires back at me that I don't pay my bills and instead of paying my bills, I'd go and buy a $20 shampoos. And she wasn't able to give her daughter a good christmas because of my lack of bill paying.. Yeah what it was, she wanted the advanced and didn't have the money to pay the whole rent herself.. Not my problem.
    7. Slept with a different guy each night and treated our home like a party house.
    This list could go on...
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    At one point I lived in a 3 story house with 13 people in it not including me. Everyone in the house was a hand drummer except me, and they all had different schedules. At any given time of day or night there would be a hand drumming circle of four to one million people.
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Psh, living with my ex-husband was a nightmare. He was a slob, but only my messes upset him (I'm a shoes-everywhere-except-the-closet kind of girl). He insisted that I clean the kitchen after he cooked, but then that rule went out the window when I started cooking for us. He also refused to turn down his videogames so that I could sleep, declaring that my issue was psychosomatic and that he was not going to restrict his activities in another room just because I *thought* I could hear him playing. It got so bad I started having anxiety attacks/insomnia because I was afraid of not being able to go to sleep (go figure). I was not allowed to open windows/blinds, as he was offended by the sun. I was not allowed to use air fresheners, incense, or perfume. I was not allowed watch movies or TV shows that offended him, but at the same time I was not allowed to watch the shows he liked while he wasn't around.

Ugh. That guy was a pain in the *kitten*.
  • Elisabeth2506
    Options
    A girl I lived with last year used to insist on using all my bathroom items:- shower gel, shampoo, facial cloth etc.

I once went in after she'd showered to find my lady shave in the cubicle amidst a wig's worth of thick black hair. Considering we also lived with her boyfriend, I don't know hair she was letting grow that long before she shaved but the lady shave went in the bin after that :|
  • Mariana_87
    Options
    I had one that used to watch me..... Doing everything.. I would work out she would watch, I would eat, she would watch, I would sleep, she would watch
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My sophomore year in college, I was supposed to room in a triple with two friends. One dropped out of school and we got a replacement roommate - now you may be thinking that the "bad" roommate is going to be the replacement - nope, she was MOH at my wedding. My "friend" turned out to be totally psycho. She never, ever went to class. And I mean never. And we went to a very difficult, very expensive school. So her parents were paying $50k a year for her to sit around and do nothing. In addition to not going to class, she hardly ever left the room for any reason. We were in the same sorority and she never went to anything - meetings, mixers, rush events, nothing. She actually told me that she had an evening class scheduled during our chapter meetings and then would leave until I was gone, then sneak back into the room. She did have a class - but she never went - she just used the class as an excuse not to go the meeting. She would sleep all day and then be up all night. She was really obsessed with TV and would sit and flip channels all night long, even though we were in this tiny room and my other roommate and I were trying to sleep. But the worst was, she would get up every day at nine (when I was just getting back from my first class) so she could watch Perfect Strangers - I kid you not. Then she would go back to bed. When we sat down to make our "roommate rules" she insisted that we have a rule that no one could be on the phone in the room in the morning. This wasn't an issue for either of us - we never got phone calls in the morning. Well, every Saturday, her mom would call at like 8 AM and she'd sit in her bed and take the entire call, instead of going in the hall like we agreed. She gleefully told me that she wouldn't need to get a computer since I had one and she could just borrow mine. Then one day, she asked to use it and I said fine but just for a little bit because I had an assignment. She stayed on way past that and when I asked her repeatedly to get off, she refused. So I password protected the whole thing - she was not happy!

The happy ending is that she ended up moving out at the end of the fall semester and my other roommate and I had a nice big double!
  • jellybean82
    jellybean82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My worst roommate is from when I lived in residence during university.

She would always change her...how do I word this...feminine hygiene products in our room and would throw them out in the garbage that was in our room. Wouldn't even have the courtesty to wrap them up first! Needless to say people were constantly grossed out when they happened to look in our garbage and the smell was horrible. But who was stuck changing the garbage all the time...that's right...ME! I swear this girl was too lazy to walk the 25 feet down the hall to use the actual washroom.

She also always asked me to remind her when she had to change her tampon. Ugh, I was so happy to get away from her!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Some highlights from my worst roommate:

- broke my DVD player by using it constantly and leaving discs in it for weeks at a time
    - let her boyfriend use my comb to do his hair
    - gave her boyfriend a key without telling me; so I was a bit surprised when on one evening while I was watching a hockey game on tv, he suddenly appeared in my dining room asking what the score was (I should have told him the score was '911' if he didn't leave...)
    - had loud, wall-quaking sex with him at night, but had the nerve to ask me to turn down my music

And, for the coup de grâce...
    - when she and her man moved her stuff out of my place (and into their own), she left the doors open while I was out. When I returned in the wee-hours of the morning, I thought things looked a bit different in my apartment because... my television, laptop, all of my CDs and DVDs and other random items were stolen. They never found who actually did it and she swore up and down that she had no idea how it happened.

After that, I lived alone.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    I moved to a new city with a friend I known for years because she needed help getting out of a bad relationship. I got her a job, the place and all the bills were in my name (so the ex couldn't track her down), and two weeks after we moved in, she stopped going to work - but I still worked there. My boss almost fired me over it. I then spent the next 11.5 months having to call her MOTHER every month when rent was due. Her mother thought I was trying to pull one over on her and insisted I get her receipts for everything (to give her some credit, she did pay up every month, thank God). The day I wrecked my beloved first vehicle, I came home to her mother and grandmother going through her things on the porch while she was no where to be found. Oh, and she locked her dog up in her bedroom for 24 hours (I didn't know & when I figured it out, I took the poor thing on a long walk and fed him, ect.); her mother then insisted the reason her room smelled like feces & urine was because my cat crawled under the locked door (less than 1/2" clearance). Never in my life did I think a 25 year old woman needed her mommy to take care of her. Ugh. She didn't clean, either. And she burned a hole in my couch even though we weren't supposed to smoke in there. We made amends at a mutual friend's funeral several years later; she had experienced a major bout of depression and I was unfortunately the one who had to pick up the pieces. I'd never live with her again though. Ever...lol
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    My husband and I shared a house with another couple. At one point we used to be friends, but quickly realized how much of a self-righteous jerk she was and her husband was just the laziest.

Favorite quirks:
    - inability to clean up after themselves (they cleaned their cats litterbox biweekly and picked up after their lab once a season)
    - whenever we approached them about minor things regarding the shared space they'd attack us with things "we never did"; including things that happened once, three months prior.
    - turning thermostat to 80 when it was 40 degrees outside and then turning the a/c on when it was 60 degrees out.
    - treating our furniture like crap and then actually saying, "well, I don't think we would do anything like that."
    - when they did clean, they made a show of it, as in cleaning the bathroom for a literal hour.
    - ordering pizza or chinese every other night. I kid you not, they ate 13 pizzas in January and we came back from vacation on the 9th.
    - the passive-aggressive level was off the charts. She would stalk my blog which I never talked about her, and then post p-a stuff on her facebook which could only have been targeted at me.
    - the kitchen sink got clogged with hamburger meat; husband and I don't eat meat in house.
    - they always slammed the doors, doors that could be closed silently, so hard the whole house shook.
    - the water bill was always over $75/month. Now my husband and I are lucky if it goes over $20.
    - And lastly, when we moved out (they stayed) and we came back before the lease ran out because we just needed to steam clean the carpets and they went ahead and did it all for us without ever telling us. So we show up and they tell us they went in our room and did it ALL for us and seemed to expect a thank you. Note: their living spaces were still in horrendous condition.

Needless to say we don't keep in touch.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Lesson to learn here:
    Never move in with your friend.
    Apparently can't end well.
  • chizumlassstar
    chizumlassstar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had a roommate that spent literally 16 hours a day playing WoW on his computer. Never cleaned or helped around the house, only showered like 3 times a week... and got skinny as hell because he never ate enough. Didn't do *kitten* but play that damn game and stink up the house with body odor and cigarettes.

I think I know this guy, but now I think its an xbox and COD or skyrim! Did he have a cat that pissed all over your stuff too?
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    ALL of them were awful. I will NEVER live with another female whom is not related to me ever again.

Roommate #1: She was absolutely in love with our mutual friend who I will admit was attractive, but he was also so obviously GAY it wasn't even funny. I told her multiple times that I thought he was gay and was just not out yet, however she wouldn't believe me. One night we were all partying at our place and he was there, I got sloshed and he ended up carrying me to the bathroom and holding my hair up. This girl has the nerve to tell me if I try to hook up with him she will kick me out of the apartment we shared and was FREAKING out about it. I told her AGAIN that nothing would happen because I don't think he likes women and I wasn't into him anyway because he was way too feminine. Well the next day I did both she and I a favor and moved out. A year later he came out and started dating another one of our mutual friends who is a guy.

ETA: Same roommate as above also had a dog that she let roam all over the house while no one was home and tear up everything and piss everywhere. The place literally stunk like urine. Try having someone over and having to explain to them why your apartment smells like urine!

Roommate #2: We sign an 18 month lease together for an apartment and everything is great, we are the best of friends. One night a friend of mine who had been trying to date me for months that I was not interested in invited me out with him and a couple of his friends, so I invited her to come along. She almost immediately shows interest in him and I tell her to go for it hoping this guy will take the hint that I just liked him as a friend. He texts me and asks if its cool and I say it is. Long story short, they end up dating and a month later they get engaged. So she decides she wants to move in with him only 4 months into our 18 mo lease so she won't have to pay rent! She stops paying rent and I end up having to pay another deposit to move from our 2 bedroom into a 1 bedroom apartment in the same complex to get out of being stuck with paying out of the lease and/or having the leasing company come after me. It ended up costing me $1,000 in total and needless to say we aren't friends anymore.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    [...] and was like "isn't that your cat?" Yeah, it was. My cat, and my stuff, was in the background of many of her homemade bondage porn photos.
    That poor, poor cat.

Is the therapy helping him/her to live a normal life again?