Is it best to have a snack something before or after your wo

sincereme
sincereme Posts: 276
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Is it best to have a snack before or after your workout?:smile:

Replies

• volks80
    volks80 Posts: 56
    IMO after, I feel sick if I work out after eating anything and I am always hungry after working out.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    On Biggest Loser last night, they said to have your complex carbs and protein before your workout so you have energy and can make the most of it
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Gee, I do both. I eat breakfast (3/4 c cereal with 2oz milk) go to work out about 1 hour later and then a snack after. Usually a special K bar or granola bar but some times a slice of cheese with some kind of deli meat and I roll it up also an egg is good. Protein is the best but the carbs satisfy my hunger. This also helps me get my calories in.
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    When I worked out after work and before dinner I would have a high protein snack about 30min before my work out, that way I wouldn't get as tired and hungry through the work out and be tempted to stop early to go home for dinner.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    I'd say both !

Unless you ate a complete meal 2-3 hours before, you should definitely have a little something before you start working out. You really don't want you body to have to break down muscles to get the energy it requires to go through your workout ! I agree though that you can feel bad if you had too much too short before working out. I'll usually wait at least half and hour after snacking before I do my workout, a little more if I'm doing intense cardio.

And you should also have something within the half hour that follows, to re-fuel (high in carbs).
    5010 Posts: 59
    I worked out this morning before food felt quite weak ,i would say have something light to give you energy
  • sincereme
    I will be working out during lunch. So, I was planning on having my apple about 1 hr before lunch and then a protein shake right after the workout. Then maybe my lunch about an hr or so later. Is this good?
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    I am interested in this one also.
    I dont eat before because it sometimes makes me feel queasy during my exercise.
    Then I am NEVER hungry afterwards.
    I will watch this for advice.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    I would do the apple and protein before the workout and lunch after
  • knotarg
    knotarg Posts: 7 Member
    I was told less than 200 calories before; slice of toast, piece of fruit. You need the glucose to not burn muscle. You should refule within 30 minutes, protein shake, banana, 5-10 almonds and some blueberries...then have lunch/dinner about an hour after that.
  • sincereme
    I was told less than 200 calories before; slice of toast, piece of fruit. You need the glucose to not burn muscle. You should refule within 30 minutes, protein shake, banana, 5-10 almonds and some blueberries...then have lunch/dinner about an hour after that.

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing. Eating an apple about 1 hr before then a shake after. Lunch about 1 hr or so later. I will see how it goes today. Tx:bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.