crazy

Options
So yesterday I did not workout and had a glass of red wine with dinner and a 120 calorie dessert. I went over my calories by 250 for the day....No biggy right......just one day.....well today I am up 1 lbs.....are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so pissed! I workout a min of 4 days a week for an average 45 minutes...most days 50-60 minutes...days I have limited time at least 30 minutes and they are high intensity so I get the max workout, I make sure I burn at least 300 calories in the 30 minutes and shoot for 450-500 on the longer workouts. I take 1 day off and cheat JUST A TINY BIT and I gain a whole pound....rediculous!

Just had to vent, I know today I will drink lots a water and workout when I get home but MAN is that irritating!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• cnbenton
    Options
    Don't let it get to you. Doesn't sound like you even ate the number of calories necessary to gain a pound. It may be as simple as retaining water because you ate too much salt yesterday or because of the glass of wine. I'd bet that one lb. will be gone again by tomorrow. Sounds like you are still on track. I know it is frustrating but this is a good place to vent.

Cari
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain one lb by going over 250 on your calories in one night and then a pound magically appeared on the scale the next morning.

I have an official "weigh in" once a week BUT I weigh myself almost daily. My weigh in days are on Mondays and I could be at 166 lbs at my "official" weigh in and as I am weighing myself IN THE MORNINGS throughout the week, I go from 166 to 167 to 165 to 168 and then a week later on my official weigh in, I am always down from my last official...I make that the one that counts. If I counted everytime I got on the scale and let it bother me, I would drive myself crazy and give up.

If I were you I would wait a couple of days and try it again. My workout schedule is similiar to yours. I know that going over 250 calories in one day will not make me gain a lb. Don't sweat it.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    There could be numerous reasons why you went up a lb. Sometimes you just can't go by the scale i can be up a lb one morning next morning be down a 1.5 lbs so don't go by that.
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You did NOT gain a pound from that one simple incident. in order to gain a pound of fat, you would have to gain an extra 3,500 calories! This is why you shouldn't step on a scale every day. It's going to give you varying results and it's going to do nothing but frustrate people. Weight fluctuates on a regular basis. it's the "trend" you have to pay attention to.

Weigh yourself in the morning when you first wake up right after you use the bathroom. then at night, weigh yourself just before you go to bed. you can almost guarantee that you will weight more at night. Now do it again the next morning and see that it's back down again.

there are way too many factors involved. Was it an actual increase in fat that caused the number to rise? was it muscle? Was it water retention (most likely.) Was it undigested food that simply hasn't had time to process?

In other words, it's absolutely nothing to worry about in any way, shape, or form.
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    here's another thing to think about. lets say you set MFP up to lose 1 pound per week. That will put you at a 500 calorie deficit every day for a week ( to make up the 3,500 calories you want to ditch.) So now lets say that you go over that number by 250 calories each and every day. does that mean you will gain weight? NO! Because you are still in a deficit! That just means that instead of losing 1 pound per week, you will only lose 1/2lb per week. In fact, you could go over by 500 each day and, in theory, stay the same exact weight.

Just something to stop and think about on days that you actually go over.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    here's another thing to think about. lets say you set MFP up to lose 1 pound per week. That will put you at a 500 calorie deficit every day for a week ( to make up the 3,500 calories you want to ditch.) So now lets say that you go over that number by 250 calories each and every day. does that mean you will gain weight? NO! Because you are still in a deficit! That just means that instead of losing 1 pound per week, you will only lose 1/2lb per week. In fact, you could go over by 500 each day and, in theory, stay the same exact weight.

Just something to stop and think about on days that you actually go over.

+1
    I completely agree... once i learned dieting was all about math.... well, you can see my banner. 41lbs since October. Don't sweat the small stuff - everyone is human. In fact, its almost worse to deprive yourself. Deprivation sets off all sorts of triggers and most people end up blowing it WAY worse than the 250 calories they could have just eaten and enjoyed. So have your night of delight and get up the next day back on the wagon. Keep up the good work!
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sometimes it can drive you crazy....but I promised myself 90 minutes of yoga x tonight....that teach that lb to creep up.....lol :)
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i agree step away from the scale!!!! I check in with my scale almost daily to make sure i am on track, but i dont freak out within a couple lb range on a day to day basis... it is NORMAL to fluxuate 2-3 lbs daily based on water intake, salt and a number of other things. Please do not freak over one pound! :flowerforyou: