MFP Suggested Carbs/Fat/Protein

Options
Since I'm switching back to MFP from a low carb, low fat, high protein diet I've become a little confused and concerned about the suggested ratio of carbs/fat/protein that MFP puts in that little pie chart on my iPod. I'm eating a lot more protein than is suggested, about the same amount of fat that is suggested, and fewer carbs than is suggested.

Can anyone explain how these percentages for your daily intake are balanced? I feel like I'm doing something wrong by eating more protein than is suggested and fewer carbs but I'm terrified of carb overload (something that's VERY easy for me given the right circumstances).

Any suggestions? Should I just ignore it as long as I'm staying under my calorie goal?

Replies

• sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is really slow and another MFP friend suggested changing my percentages of carbs, protein etc so you can go on and do that if you prefer to have less carbs and more protein. However, since doing that I'm now struggling to eat therecommended amount of protein (I am vegetarian) whilst staying within the carb limit!!! Today I was due to have a deficit of over 600 calories as I had reached my carb limit (with healthy carbs no rubbish at all), my friend advised me not to get too hung up on the percentages and said that it's more important to eat the minimum of 1200 cals. So whilst I will try my best to stay within the percentages, I do agree that it is more important to eat a minimum of 1200 cals. Do hope that this helps and good luck with your weight loss journey x
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You can change it.

Click on the "My Home" tab, then "Goals" underneath
    At the bottom click the green "Change Goals" button
    Choose "Custom"
    Make your changes
    Click "Change Goals" at the bottom

Note: as you lose, MFP will ask to adjust your goals. You want to do this so it will adjust your calorie targets, but each time you'll need to go back in and reset your carb/protein/fat percentages.

I use 40% carb/30% protein/30% fat. When I was losing I used 30%/40%/30%.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You can change it.

Click on the "My Home" tab, then "Goals" underneath
    At the bottom click the green "Change Goals" button
    Choose "Custom"
    Make your changes
    Click "Change Goals" at the bottom

Note: as you lose, MFP will ask to adjust your goals. You want to do this so it will adjust your calorie targets, but each time you'll need to go back in and reset your carb/protein/fat percentages.

I use 40% carb/30% protein/30% fat. When I was losing I used 30%/40%/30%.

Thanks! Very helpful!
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    A high protein diet, while it may help in losing weight, might be unhealthy. The recommended daily allowance is 0.8grams per 1kg of body weight.

From my research I wouldn't recommend going much higher than 1 gram per kilo. To give you a feel for this I weigh 80kg. Therefore my consumption should be around 80 grams per day. A gram of protein contains 4 calories, so that's 320 calories per day from protein. If my daily energy requirement is 2000 calories, my protein should represent 16%.

For more information and the science why high protein consumption may be harmful, please read my earlier post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729061-alternative-day-diet-and-protein-consumption
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also use 30/40/30 carbs/protein/fat. the mfp carbs are too high for me but I don't consider myself low carb. you can change them.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    A high protein diet, while it may help in losing weight, might be unhealthy. The recommended daily allowance is 0.8grams per 1kg of body weight.

From my research I wouldn't recommend going much higher than 1 gram per kilo. To give you a feel for this I weigh 80kg. Therefore my consumption should be around 80 grams per day. A gram of protein contains 4 calories, so that's 320 calories per day from protein. If my daily energy requirement is 2000 calories, my protein should represent 16%.

For more information and the science why high protein consumption may be harmful, please read my earlier post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729061-alternative-day-diet-and-protein-consumption

This topic is not related to alternative day fasting.
    Also, a large number of personal trainers would beg to differ with you on that count.
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well personal trainers are not scientists. Personal trainers work primararily in the fitness industry which has a vested interest in protein and muscle growth.

My original post was in a different forum, however the contents are still relevant to the post here. My post has links to the science I'm simply making people aware so they can draw their own conclusions.
  • calitravelingal
    Options
    I was having a similar issue. I was constantly going over on my protein and not by a little here and there. I did some research and here is a website I found that may help you determine what levels are best for you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200

This information is offered by the Mayo Clinic (a well respected US hospital) and their information is based on US Department of Agriculture Healthy Food Guildlines.
  • melsmith612
    Options
    I'm checking out that Mayo Clinic link now, thanks (very good info)!

As for the benefits/risks of a "high protein" diet, personally I'm not worried about the risks of eating too much protein. I'm coming off of the Medi-Weightloss Clinics diet which basically consists of 600 calories of protein/day, with 1 serving of fruit, 1 serving of vegetables and 1 serving of a "healthy fat" (a vague term they use for olive oil, nuts, seeds, etc). If that didn't hurt me over the course of 6 months then I think I'll be okay with the protein I'm getting now - although I do appreciate the thought behind your post.

I went in to change my percentages yesterday and realized that I should probably wait to change them until I see how I'm eating for a couple of weeks and whether or not it's working... then adjust as needed.

I'm susprised at how many people are posting that they aim for 30% fat in their diet. It used to be that fat was the enemy (thank you 1980's and 90's food industry executives for tainting our perceptions of nutrition) but I'm glad to see that many people are less concerned with their fat intake than their refined sugars.

I have to refrain from replacing the box of No Pudge brownie mix that I've been making individual brownies from every night in my microwave. So good and yet so bad... I guess I'm just glad to have a brownie again. :drinker:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Assuming no dietary/health concerns, most people aren't going to be getting enough protein for it to be detrimental. There are lots and lots and lots of people getting well over 150g of protein daily (I'm usually closer to 200g daily). Ultimately, it depends on your goals and what is realistically sustainable for you.

Generally speaking, you should be getting
    - a minimum of 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass
    - a minimum of .3g of fat per lb of total body weight

The rest of your cals can be whatever you like.

• melsmith612
    Options
    Assuming no dietary/health concerns, most people aren't going to be getting enough protein for it to be detrimental. There are lots and lots and lots of people getting well over 150g of protein daily (I'm usually closer to 200g daily). Ultimately, it depends on your goals and what is realistically sustainable for you.

Oh boy, math... let's see...

I don't know my "lean" body mass but I'm currently getting between 80g and 120g of protein each day... which seems reasonable to me.

And fat would be about 60g by your calculation... I've been averaging closer to 40g/day. I'm just not sure what kind of "fat" to add in without compromising my calorie goal. Any suggestions? Want to take a look at my diary? I've got a couple days unfinished in the past week or so but the ones that were finished are accurate.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Oh boy, math... let's see...

I don't know my "lean" body mass but I'm currently getting between 80g and 120g of protein each day... which seems reasonable to me.

And fat would be about 60g by your calculation... I've been averaging closer to 40g/day. I'm just not sure what kind of "fat" to add in without compromising my calorie goal. Any suggestions? Want to take a look at my diary? I've got a couple days unfinished in the past week or so but the ones that were finished are accurate.

If you don't know your lean body mass, you can use .75g per lb if your in relatively good shape (.6g if not) of total body weight as a starting point.

As for the fat, add in whatever you like. The whole healthy fat vs unhealthy fat this is so overblown its ridiculous. I wouldn't go crazy with the trans fats, but other than that eat what you like.

As for the fat,