Clean house ='s skinny??

Options

Replies

• marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    So if I hire a cleaner, I'll become skinny?

I'd assume so. Sure makes things a lot easier! :D LOL

This is false in my case. Even at my heaviest, I was a very clean person. Maybe a little clutter on the kitchen table (coupons, mail, etc), but never filth. :) I am as clean now as I was back then.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I reset my activity level at the beginning of the month to sedentary since I am having a hernia repaired tomorrow and won't be able to do much. I have been very busy cleaning the house and getting my yard work done in preparation, and I have logged that activity since I had already reset my activity level. I can not believe the calories I am burning! I ate 2500 calories today and it was ALL exercise calories! So if one is very busy cleaning, one is burning off a lot of calories. But, I also have a large house and large yard so there is lots to do. If I lived in an apartment, I could keep it spotless and not burn much at all! And my house is old, so it requires more work in cleaning (like washing the windows- have to go in and out three times since the windows are single hang, not double hang, with storm windows that the last window doesn't come off, just moves up and down.) But my windows have 112 year old glass in them, all wavy! It is cool!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    So if I hire a cleaner, I'll become skinny?
    OMG! If this is true, I could definitely justify the cost:-)
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I am a fanatic clean and have always been so, so no I doubt that. I do have a desk job though. I don't even own a mop I hand wash my floors twice a week.
  • karylee44
    Options
    my house would be spotless if the four other people that live here picked up after themselves.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Funny, in highschool they always said the hottest chicks had the messiest cars. And mine was spotless. D:
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I've heard before the connection to decluttering and weight loss. Holding onto things and holding onto the fat? Seems to be applicable in lots of cases. You're fixing up your body, might as well fix up your house too!
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My house is a disaster all the time. But cleaning is good exercise!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    My apartment is ridiculously clean. But it's my boyfriend who does most of the cleaning (neat freak lol - not that I'm dirty, just not as cleaning obsessive as he is). And he is very skinny. So hmmm maybe?
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    lol No... My mom makes us keep our house nice and fusses if it's not up to par.... But 4 out of 6 of us are over weight.... hmmm... Their study lies!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    It's from logging all that cleaning as exercise.

i log cleaning all the time.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    not sure what the statistics are, but I have read that there is a correlation between lack of control in one area affecting a lack of control in other areas of ones life.

I know for a fact that my home was a direct reflection of how I was feeling when I was seemingly unable (unwillingly?) to take control of my weight once and for all. The more 'down' I felt about myself, (always weight related), the more of a mess my home seemed to become.

Once I finally took real control of my food choices, that same control started to manifest in all areas of my life, including work, volunteering, money, home, clutter etc etc :)

It may not be true for everyone but It actually is true for me.. when I start to backslide with eating choices too much I can always tell even before the scale shows me as it is visible in the clutter that starts to sneak up on me *lol*
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    The state of my house has more reflected how well my pain was managed than my weight.

Now, yes, you can argue that when I'm medicated and CAN move more, that the house is cleaner and I lose weight, but it's not a direct correlation. Even when I was at my fattest, if my pain was controlled, I sat down only when my body said "do it or we put you in bed tomorrow" and I got the house beautifully clean and organized.

When it's a serious effort to move from a chair to the toilet and back, I don't do much cleaning. Of course, I also don't do much cooking, either.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

You are living proof that one should log cleaning as exercise. Look what it's done for you....
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'd wager it's based on the fact that you're less likely to do boredom snacking, mindless snacking (in front of a soap opera/day time show), and you're moving. My house isn't spotless, but it's always been very tidy and clean and I was still chubby.
  • curvystormcloud
    Options
    I've also heard that a messy bedroom means you're wild in the sack......

Haha, if that's true, my husband may actually be fearing for his life. :devil: :blushing: I love that theres smileys to choose from. :bigsmile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

You are living proof that one should log cleaning as exercise. Look what it's done for you....

awwww shucks.

::flexes for you::
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I recently read that people who have the cleanest homes are the thinnest.

How clean is yours? What is your opinion on this?

By the way, I'm at a normal weight now but when I was heavier, my house definately wasn't as clean! Laziness mostly.

I have a very clean home and a thin wallet. I wonder if that has anything to do with the cleaning lady I use. Does that jive with the study results? Cleaning your own home is for suckers!
  • curvystormcloud
    Options

awwww shucks.

::flexes for you::

*note to self: clean vigorously.*

Nice pic.:blushing:
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    haha farce thru and thru!!!!

My house has ALWAYS been spotless - from 180lbs to 315 lbs and morethan half way back again
    Im not OCD but I am VERY obessive about having a clean house.
    Infact I just spent 2 hours scrubbing a not so dirty house...

oh and I also log cleaning as exercise