Can you get surgery if your'e "slighty" overweight

Options
Can I get surgery if I am almost 30 pounds overweight. I can't lose on my own and I feel this is a significant amount especially with my health problems.

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Most doctors/insurance companies if not all, require a certain BMI, proof of unsuccessful weight loss, consultations/lab work and a psych evaluation at the very least.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Why would you undertake a risky surgery that would require you to take vitamins the rest of your life and could result in you never eating certain foods again? So you could lose 30 lbs? Really? If you are desperate, you could look into something like optifast.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I sincerely hope not.

There are better ways of doing it.....
  • settledownspazz
    Options
    im just curious, why cant you lose it on your own? is it a medical problem?
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You usually have to be at least 100lbs overweight so 30lbs overweight is not going to cut it...keep at it with diet and exercise if you really want this you will find a way to change your lifestyle.
  • Hgdlrd
    Options
    Most insurance companies and drs require you are at least 100 lbs over ideal weight. I had it done, that is the lap band, I was 238 on surgery day and almost two years later I am 168, 10 lbs from my three year goal. I don't regret it at all.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    By surgery do you mean lap-band/ gastric bypass or cosmetic surgery like a tummy tuck?
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    No. You normally need a BMI of at least 40, or 30 with comorbidities.

Even then, you need psychological testing, to have lost some weight on your own and all sort of other hurdles before you would be cleared.
  • fun4ne1
    Options
    You have to be classified as Obese.
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If I can lose 30 (without surgery) so can you.
    You just have to really want to.

Stop making excuses and looking for an easy way out.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    It's only 30 lbs, not 300 lbs!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    by your own admission you are only trying to lose a slight amount of weight by your wedding that is in a month. this does not constitute a reason for a weight loss surgery by any ethical doctor.
  • nkeklund
    nkeklund Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Are you counting your calories using this great site? This and burn calories doing cardio should put you on your way to success! Good luck!
  • Keltinator
    Options
    As I am about 25 pounds overweight, it makes me upset when people insinuate that because the amount of weight is smaller than other people have to lose that it isn't "as bad." Emotionally, it can be just as brutal.... sorry I didn't answer your question at all, I just had to get that off my chest
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It's only 30 lbs, not 300 lbs!

And a BMI of 24.8.

I suspect that someone is perhaps spinning wild tales and should not be fed by the good people of this community. She'll go back to her bridge eventually.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Unless there's some medical reason behind not being able to lose the weight, I would think no. On a side note, I lost all of my weight without surgery and insurance won't even cover the loose skin removal. I say suck it up and give it a real try by using this website to count all your calories and if you are able to exercise start out small say 15 mins a day three days a week, and you should lose. There are many others on this site who have lost alot more weight without surgery as well.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    so your other post was boring you so you decided to troll and make this new one. NICE.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Why????? for 30 lbs and not being able to eat more than 1/4 cup of anything for at least 3 months why do that to your self learn how to eat and if its only 30lbs you are using an excuse not to eat properly I only have that much to lose and am doing it one day at a time. If you are serious about losing that little bit of a weight you can do it on your own dont look for an easy way out
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your health problems but I'll tell you this. Read my profile, and see how just losing a few pounds helped my health problems. I don't expect to have any of these problems after another 20 pounds or so, and if you're 21, there is no way you're getting a surgery you don't need. Let us teach you how to eat, you can do this, and enjoy your food.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Don't be lazy.