Do u count calories if it is just a bite or two?

Options

Replies

• scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I did something similar tonight. I took a couple bites of my husband's mashed potatoes. I just try to make sure I'm under my calorie goal 100-300 calories to make up for those little bites.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't, but that's because 50 calories make little to no difference in a day for me. If I was taking a bite or two of different things all day, I'd record it.
  • MsMandy23
    Options
    of course you have to count them. count everything- you dont want to cheat yourself
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Even though I am in maintenance, I count everything, so yes.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't log a bite or two because I can't figure out how to calculate them, but I go for an extra long walk or log 10 less minutes of a bike ride.
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Nope. Just gotta make sure that one bite doesn't turn into 10 :)
  • MLgarcia3
    Options
    I don't count it.. And it doesn't hinder me. Even when I was trying to lose weight.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It is all perspective versus measurement ...

If you are taking a bite or two of triple chocolate layered cheesecake or a few bites of potato .... a bit of a difference. The big thing is people sometimes overlook what they are snacking on or do not even realize they are snacking as much as they are...Eating the cookie dough before its baked sort of thing.

It is your choice... it is your choice on how exact to be or not to be my suggestion though is to always input the higher average calorie count ... but that is just me its still your choice.

The important part is consistency.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I count everything that passes thru my lips that is called food. Otherwise, you are cheating.:frown:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I personally am not that militant. A bite of mashed potatoes isn't going to hinder your weightloss.

This. No way could I have managed to log for so long if I were militant about logging a bite of food while cooking. I would have given up ages ago.

And, for the record, people are fooling themselves if they think everything they log is perfectly accurate. Nutrition labels in the US can legally be 20% off, above or below the stated calorie count. I do not weigh out the recipes I make to get the precise right serving, and even if I did, how do I know the raw chicken I used was precisely the same number of calories as the chicken that was tested to determine the nutrition content? Answer: I do not. Everything is an estimate.

Obviously if your bite here and there becomes a bite all the time and an excuse to eat more than your calorie goal, your weight loss might be hindered.

But nothing is going to be exact anyway. A bite of mashed potatoes to determine seasoning will not impact anything significantly.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary out of curiosity. I wouldn't worry about tasting food when preparing it. I do the same thing. Its not enough to worry about.
  • missattitude57
    Options
    If I'm being honest, no I don't. There's a jar of gummy things on a co-workers desk at all times that I count as my 'freebies' during the day. Yes I know it's technically cheating and if the candy of the day happens to be some sort of chocolate thing then I will count that since they're higher in fat and calories but for a couple of gummy worms, I'm not too worried. I figure I burn those off in the walking around the office during the day.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely if it is a high calorie item. If I'm cooking and tasting and noticing that I am having a lot of "spoonfuls" then I usually quick add calories into my food diary.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    count everything that goes frm the hand to the mouth.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I do. These calories can add up QUICKLY. For example, say you are 44-years-old, 5'4" tall, and weigh 157 pounds. You "forget" and put mayonnaise on your hamburger. That is 100 calories. It would take you 25 minutes of walking at 3 mph to work off the little bit of mayonnaise. Maybe a few fries left over from the kids? More calories, more walking. A couple spoons of mashed potatoes? More calories, more walking. One could easily add 500 extra calories a day by "tasting" a little bit of this and a little bit of that while cooking.

It is your weight loss journey and the choice is yours. :)

This!
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't count it.

I figured me just walking around doing house hold things, grocery shopping, whatever burns off that bite or two since it wouldn't be more then 100 cals for one bite or something.
  • BrenBringman
    Options
    :huh: YUP~it's a must...as I have seen written..."calories are calories!" If it enters your body it MUST enter your diary.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes! If it touches my lips, it goes in my food diary. Even if it's a really miniscule amount. Those pesky calories add up quickly.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    It depends on how you're measuring your other foods and meals. If you're weighing or using measuring cups for meals, then you should account for every bite. However, if you estimate your meals by sight or if you eat out, your total is already inaccurate anyway, so one bite is the lesser problem.

Either way, stay at or under your goal. If you lose weight, great. If you don't lose weight, you know what to do.
  • viad25720
    viad25720 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We all have opinions and here is mine: if you're not frantic about needing to lose asap, then who cares. YES calories are calories, I document gum if I have more than a piece in a day sometimes lol, but when I cook if i know my day will end with me having a few hundred defecit then I taste, as long as it ends with a taste or two, and It's not a buffet lol ha ha but seriously if you want results quick count every drop u put in otherwise relax! As long as ur not at ur daily limit for cals as well.