Hallelujah lyrics-what do you think they mean?

Options
marathon64
marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
"Hallelujah"
Leonard Cohen

I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Baby I have been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you.
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

There was a time when you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Maybe there’s a God above
But all I’ve ever learned from love
Was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you
It’s not a cry you can hear at night
It’s not somebody who has seen the light
It’s a cold and it’s a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well, really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light in every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Replies

• MissFit0101
    Options
    I LOVE this song... one of my favorites!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    In Hebrew it's actually two words, Praise Yahweh Halleluja sounds WAY better.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    It's a song about losing love and not regretting the loss, but basking in the memory.

Also, Jeff Buckley's version is probably the best in my ever so humble opinion.
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Love hurts.
  • stefanieceleste0530
    Options
    Great song! Although my favorite version is by Jon Bon Jovi. I get goosebumps every time!!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    These are some of the most amazing lyrics I have ever heard. There are dozens of versions of this song and I love nearly all of them. It is hauntingly beautiful.
    I think it is a sad love song. Shows how love can be a sorrowful longing thing.
    I laugh when people think this is a religious song. I recently saw it on a Christian website with an 11 year old boy singing it. I wonder if they listen to the lyrics other than "Hallelujah" And talking about David.
    But that's just me. Maybe I am way off.
  • murdie
    murdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • happypath101
    Options
    I could go on and on and there is plenty of analysis by people more "in the know" than I am. But, I'll just mention that my favourite bit of genious here is that the chord progression on the "It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth" IS the fourth and then the fifth. And, then we move into a minor chord for the "minor fall" and a major lift. Literally.

If that isn't the perfect poetry, I don't know what is!

(And I strongly suspect Mr. Cohen considers himself a flawed, but geniune lover of God and music - just like King David.)
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    OMG. Not religious at all, so maybe I miss the true meaning or something. But absolutely one of my favorite songs. Currently set as my ring tone. And I believe it is looking back at lost love.
  • boy03727
    boy03727 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like how the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall, the major lift- describes the chord changes in that part of the song. Its kind of musical shorthand for musicians. "Nashville number system"
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yes I love this song too-it's been pulling at my heart strings all day. Achingly beautiful is a good description
  • LishaCole
    Options
    This is my favourite song. I sing it in the shower everyday (for years, I've actually gotten pretty good, haha). Leonard Cohen is an amazing song writer, he actually once mentioned it took him two years to write this, and he went through 80 verses. I think it is about the many facets of love, or many types of "hallelujah". Awe, rejoice, obsession, love, lust, hurt.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's a song about losing love and not regretting the loss, but basking in the memory.

This. And yes... what others have said. Love is confusing. Relationships cause us to run the gamut of emotions... Leonard was simply able to put it into song.
  • LishaCole
    Options
    My favourite renditions are Rufus Wainwright (live) and K.D. Lang at the Vancouver 2010 olympics.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options

I too agree....w/ the gist of the song being of losing luv,but the actual words are refering to King David,being an accomplished harp player,song writer,feel in luv w/ Bathsheba while watching her bath from his roof top,he later had her husband killed by putting him on the front lines of war ,to have her for himself.After which he was never the same..(God punished them).the cutting of the hair is symbolic of losing ones strength(biblical/hebrew times),and Hallelujah is Praise Yahweh in Hebrew,or in English Praise Jehovah.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Yeah, I love Leonard Cohen, but this is totally a Jeff Buckley song for me.
    While reading the lyrics, I can hear his beautiful voice in my head. :love:
    .... I might have to go listen to his Grace album now
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think it's inspired by the Biblical story of King David taking one of his best soldier's wives, Bathseba, and killing the soldier, and the situation that followed.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know but it's a powerful piece... gives me chills.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I like how the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall, the major lift- describes the chord changes in that part of the song. Its kind of musical shorthand for musicians. "Nashville number system"

Exactly this!
    Love Jeff buckleys version the most of all but it's one of my favorite songs ever
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't know but it's a powerful piece... gives me chills.
    totally agree!