Food Addiction/Obsession

Options
Hi everyone. I am new on here, and I logged everything I ate today and I went over by 1400 calories. I sat down with my husband and analyzed my choices and I realized that a lot of the times I ate something, it wasn't because I was hungry, it was because I was bored. Or excited about eating the particular item. I have had this problem for a long time, which is why I have over 200 pounds to lose now. My question is, when starting this lifestyle, how do you battle and conquer your brain and body when it's telling you to go eat, even if you're not hungry. I know the simple answer is "just don't eat", but I am looking for answers from people who have actually dealt with this before please. I am going to try resisting these urges, and logging everything does help, so I will continue with that. I think I will have to take it day by day, hour by hour even. Because I really do want to change my lifestyle.

Replies

• mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    1) Drink water instead of eating when bored
    2) Get up and moving - try to get rid of the boredom by doing something - get out of the house if you can - get your mind distracted from food
    3) Downsize your portion, but eat often so you think you are still eating as much but you really aren't
    4) If by "excited" you mean food craving like sugary food, you have to wean yourself away from sweets, try having a protein snack like a few nuts instead.
    5) Don't eat any junk food. I know thats hard but don't have any in the house so you are not tempted.

I'm sure others will have some tips also
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    First off Congratulations for starting and for being honest. I am 418 lbs so I know how you feel. i have struggled with the same things your talking about. Some things I do 1) I enter what I plan to eat for the day to see how it adds up. If I'm over I adjust. 2) If I want to eat and it's not meal time I ask myself "Are you hungry?" If the answer is yes I eat. If not I ask myself why I want to eat. Am I bored, tired, excited? If I can figure it out I can talk to myself and not eat (most of the time) If this doesn't work and the food is still calling to me, I remove myself or the food. If I remove myself I will go for a bike ride, or a walk or get on my stability ball and exercise. If it's a little bit of food, I'll throw it out. Right to the dumpster so I won't eat it. And sometimes I just have to give in and eat a few bites to satisfy myself. Then I log it so it's accounted for. You will figure out what works for you. One of the best lessons I learned is that I didn't get this big over night and I'm not going to lose it over night. It's a process or a journey. I lost 32 lbs. since the middle of July. (I lost 10 before I started MFP). I'm still learning. Use this site. Friend people. You can do this and you have support here!!! Good luck!!
  • operasinger
    Options
    I have been fighting 40-50lbs for the last 25 years. I am addicted to fast foods and over eating every time I eat. I am taking it one day at a time with prayer, replacing the old habits with new habits and trying to do all of the things that mensasu said. Most of all try not to obsess about it. When you are busy living life you don't have to fill it with empty calories. Good luck. One day at a time and never, never give up. I haven't been on here since 2009 since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I have lost some and gained some in the last three years but I have not given up. I have found my way back to mfp recently.
    I am currently trying to replace over eating with healthy exercise and hobbies that interest me.
  • eric5150ii
    eric5150ii Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    For some reason, our society has placed a stigma on getting help psychologically when it is needed. We don't think twice about the doctor when we're hurt, or the dentist for a toothache, but seeing a shrink is seen as a sign of weakness. With the addiction that you are describing, I would recommend some type of therapy/counseling/support group. This does not have to be your battle alone, seek out some qualified professional help. You need to determine why you are using food in this manner, and the causes behind that behavior. We are all willing to lend support, but it sounds as though you need more than just the support of an nline community to understand and work through this.
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's super hard...it's like coming off crystal meth.....however it's all around you and legal

I've gone through night sweats over food, seriously like detox'd off fast food...and had dreams about food and the list goes on and on

For me it was as hard and as simple as one choice at a time. I really started to ask myself prior to eating...why am I eating this, am I hungry, am I bored/'angry/sad?

It's also about forgiving yourself. And just because you made one 'bad' choice does not mean the day is OVER...nope just keep going....
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    Don't buy bad stuff in the first place. Plan on more exercise if you do mess up. Portion control is very important! Remember to drink your water. With that said I am having some problems with my favorite thing right now Nutella. Needless to say it WILL NOT be coming back into my house.My boys think it is funny. I am not going to gain back what I worked so hard to lose. So I will find some other way to conquer my chocolate fix. (Believe me there are better ways)
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are and it's so much easier said then done. You've got the right idea...take it hour by hour, and try to aim for better choices. When you find yourself "craving" something, try to distract yourself. Cravings in general last for 20-30 minutes. If you can't let it go after that long, try for half of what you'd normally have. If you find yourself getting anxious about it (something that was a huge problem for me), just tell yourself (out loud, if you have to) that "this will pass, it always does, just get through it." These are some things I found that worked for me. Eventually, it just becomes habitual. It takes work, dedication, and probably most importantly, the ability to forgive yourself :-)

Best of luck to you :-)
  • primalperson1
    primalperson1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Check out Judith Beck's Diet Book or workbook....there are many great tips for exactly what you are asking about!
    Or come over to the Weight Watcher community and find the Power Foods message board and look for Binge Free thread
    for the day. Great group and the challenge is alot of fun. You don't have to join to post on the boards....its free.
    On the "Newbies" message board there is a group for the Beck book. Lots of options--just be willing to learn and change,
    slowly but surely. Carol
  • samanthajean001
    Options
    Something I do (if I acknowledge that i'm not actually hungry) is I chew gum or brush my teeth. Another trick (if you know that no matter what you want that food) is to put it on a small plate bc that tricks your body into thinking "hey im getting a full plate" or bribe myself. I bribe myself by saying i have to do some crunches or jog or something and after a designated amount of them you can have a chocolate kiss or something. Drinking water after you have a little a lot times can make you satisfied with that little bit you already ate. Good Luck!
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    I worked through this in my twenties with a book called "Feeding the Hungry Heart". Getting over eating for emotional reasons was one of the things I had to do before I could consider counting calories in a serious fashion.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There are several good books on the subject (my favorite is The Beck Diet Solution), but for the best resources and motivation, register at weight watchers and go to the message boards. There is a message board called "out of control" and a daily thread called the "binge enders challenge". The message boards and blogs on weight watchers are open to the public and free for anyone to go to. It's a great group with lots of support and resources.
  • ikeandisabellesmom
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on taking the leap to start MFP! I wish you the best of success on this journey. All of the previous posts have great suggestions for helping to control your cravings. I would also like to add that you have to learn to love yourself. Love yourself enough to make the right food choices and feed your body to live the healthiest life possible. I know this is necessary because I have been through it, and I'm still on my journey. Read everything you can about healthy living, read every label. Make it a priority in your life and your family's lives! You can do this!!
  • biggirl1000
    biggirl1000 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great tips.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Open your diary to the public. In a weird way, that helped me out a lot. I became more conscious knowing people were going to see what I ate. Good luck.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of books I found very useful for this stuff: Bethany Frankel Naturally Thin, and even more helpful John Barban the Anything Goes Diet. The later goes into navigating social events while dieting, reasons for eating behaviors, the new version (which all owners will automatically get) will have sections from Dr. Nicola Bird.

I used to have my food diary open but too many people judged me. You can learn a lot more about a diet that fits your lifestyle by reading the above books than reading others food diaries (they might be less truthful of people are viewing them).
  • chinakat72
    chinakat72 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I totally hear where you're coming from. A friend recommended a book that has worked for me, called "The Beck diet solution" By Judith Beck. It's not a diet book, but a book that teaches you why you eat and help you retrain your brain (she is a clinical psychologist who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy).

Once I sat down and really started looking at my eating behaviors, I was shocked to see that probably 60% of the food I was eating was eaten for some reason other than hunger. Such as... It looked/sounded good, It was too good/too expensive to stop eating when I was full, I didn't want to waste it. I wanted to "treat" myself. I was stressed. I was angry. I was sad. I was excited. Someone gave it to me and I didn't want to turn it down. I was afraid I would get hungry later and not have anything to eat. I would eat before parties because I was afraid I wouldn't find something I like to eat or there wouldn't be enough food, and then end up eating again at the party. But most of all, I was so sad and embarrassed to admit, I ate stuff JUST BECAUSE IT WAS THERE. Not hungry, didn't even really "want" it, I just picked it up and ate it without thinking. Realizing this really changed my life. I kind of knew it before, but sitting down and seeing it in black and white is sobering.

I won't go into a lot of detail about the book because I'm not trying to sell it to you. I rarely recommend "diet" books to others. But it does have some really sensible ideas about how to retrain your brain into thinking about food differently and being more conscious and aware of what you're putting in your mouth and why. It's worked wonders for me. Congratulations on making that first step and being honest enough with yourself and your husband to admit what's going on. It's such an embarrassing thing, that it's easy to stay in denial about it. Good luck!!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Water is your new best friend. I drink 12-18 cups a day. Your body gives you the same signals if your hungry or thristy. Try to eat more foods with Priotein you tend to stay full much longer. Also make sure you get a lot of fruits and veggies on hand for snacking and keep away from super processed food. Also if you can Pre-plan your days the morning or night before. Give yourself some slack for spur of the moment snacks. Preplanning helps so much when you just start its like your own diet plan.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    It's super hard...it's like coming off crystal meth.....however it's all around you and legal

I've gone through night sweats over food, seriously like detox'd off fast food...and had dreams about food and the list goes on and on.
    I cant believe this, Have you ever came off of meth? or even watched a person detox off alcohol or heroin? Not eating a fast food or chocolate will not physically kill you. But coming off certain drugs can. Apples and monkeys
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've been a emotional binge eater since I was a kid. I use any type of emotional as an excuse to eat. I still overeat but haven't binged for a few months. I lost a massive amount of weight then regained all of it because I hadn't dealt with my emotional issues. What I'm currently doing that works well is journalling every day and concentrating on exercise, not food or weight. What you resist will persist! I focus on the enjoyment I get from doing a circuit class or lifting weights and because that makes me feel good about myself I tend to eat healthier as well. I do lots of reading (Louise L Hay, Libby Weaver, Kristin Gerstley, Sheryl Canter) and online searching about people who've been through this too. I don't always know what the emotional triggers are but I write it all down and sometimes it's clear, other times it's not. Just take one very tiny step at a time and celebrate every success no matter how small it seems.
  • jibbala
    jibbala Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am going to second the poster above who suggested joining a support group or seeing a therapist. It sounds like this struggle with food is life long. Eating can most certainly be an addiction. If therapy os not for you maybe look into an overeaters anonymous group in your area. It would be free and offer you support on your journey.