30 Day Shred

Options
Ok, so I just finished day 2 of JM's 30 day shred. I realize that its only day 2 but I have been working out 6 days a week for exactly one month and feel really discouraged. Level one totally kicks my *kitten*! I beleive that it will get better and easier but theoretically, does it count if you only do level 1 for the whole 30 days? And are you supposed to do it every day for 30 days with no rest day? Just wondering what the general consensus is on that. Prior to 30DS I was doing workout 1 of her "Kickboxing-Fast Fix" which I thought was pretty intense but I have the whole thing memorized and wanted to switch it up a little.

I'm open to suggestions, comments, and questions, and any other Jillina fanatics out there, feel free to friend me. I'm hooked.

Thanks in advance for your repsonse(s).

Morgan:tongue:

Replies

• jody2807
    jody2807 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    HI Morgan
    I am on day 8 of Level 1 the first few days killed my legs , I still struggle a little to get through the level although my squats have improved immensley from day 1 and so has my endurance ..But I am still breathing like mad by the end of it and sweating so I assume i must be getting something out of it ... I had a days rest on the Sunday .. I was planning on every sunday off but i will not be doing it , it was to hard to get back into it on the Monday..

feel free to add and best of luck to you
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day! I started the 30DS right after about 7 days straight of exercise on my treadmill and almost immediately took a rest day. I continued doing the workout maximum 3-4 days, then having a rest day. I'm doing the same now for Ripped in 30 (although I've had some unplanned rest days due to work schedule now).

You will see yourself get stronger, but part of that is letting your muscles recover! I was amazed what I could accomplish for each level on day 10 compared to day 1. Don't stick just on level 1 because the other levels will hit some different muscles and it will get boring. Try to challenge yourself moving up to level 2 after 10 days. There's always the beginner modified versions to do. I still can't do all the pushup things either, but I don't worry about it. I've gotten stronger and can do more, my heart rate got up and I burned a ton of calories and lost a lot of inches.
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am also on day three of the 30DS it seem not too hard the first day but I was super sweaty and then sore the next day and starting out in the workout on day two was tough bu got easier as I went. Today I am even more sore the yesterday and had the same questions you asked here, rest days? 10 days each level? should I work out other than the 20 mins? I haven't worked out this hard in 20 mins ever so I am hopeing for great results. Thank you.
  • chizumlassstar
    chizumlassstar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for responding. I think a rest day is good. Not to sound silly but then I don't count that day right? Of course, duh!? Anywho, greenmm, I find that I am sore in my muscles around my hips and thighs the most. It's at its worst right when I wake up but then I go to work and walk around for 9 hours and they are all loosened up in time for the workout. Do you have the same soreness?

Mellie-I don't think I will ever be able to do real push-ups. I usually do the modified "girly" push-ups off my knees but the other day I did 3 actual push-ups, its a small victory but a victory nonetheless. I'm just afraid that if I move on to level 2 I won't be able to do it. I've watched it and thought, "my GOD what have I gotten myself into!: But who knows, maybe with a rest day for recovery and diligence I will be like doing the "challenging" version someday.

Anyways, thanks for the advice and the support. Anybody want to friend me feel free. I love talking about working out. It is kind of my drug. It really makes me feel good, except its completely legal and free. :bigsmile:
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I do mine at work, so I have a 2 day break each week on my off days (if I took the DVD home I know I would forget to bring it back all the time.) 8-)

ETA: I could not do a push up either, until I started the burpee challenge. Day 1=1 Burpee, Day 2=2 Burpees, etc. If you skip a day you do those burpess the next day along the the ones for that day (IE: skip day 2, on Day 3 you must make up your 2 and then do the 3 for that day so 5 total!) You don't have to do them all in one setting, you just have to get them all done each day.

I am on day 62 now! If you would have asked me 62 days ago if I would ever do 62 burpees in one day I would have said NO WAY!! I am to the point now where I usually do them in sets of 10 and it has been taking me about 10-15 minutes, but now that I am getting higher in numbers I am thinking about splitting them into two different times a day. (I do them on my first break at work so I can't go for longer than 15 minutes otherwise I would keep doing them all in a row). When I started the challenge, I was walking the stairs for 10 minutes on one break and on my second break I was doing a abs, butt, thighs workout, so an ok workout, but not a whole lot of cardio. Now doing the 30 day shred I usually get about 15 pushups in the first pushup section of the workout and about 8-10 in the second set, and they are the real ones, not the girly kind! (Oh, and by the way, I have heard that wall pushups/stair pushups give you more of a workout than the girly on your knees pushups, just an FYI!) :happy:

-Here is a link to what a burpee is... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCgoa7C01M&feature=related) Skip to about 3 minutes 40 seconds for an example
  • jules080670
    jules080670 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it too but I have at least 2 rest days a week as I just can't manage it when I work a 12 hour shift! And if it's nights, it may even be 3 rest days.

Good to get the advice about moving up to level 2 after 10 days regardless. I was wondering about that myself.

I'm just about to do day 5 and it's definitely easier than day 1.
  • CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I did day 6 of level 2 yesterday. When I did level 1 I thought I was going to die after the first couple of days and the ache I had afterwards was malicious! But, day 3, I could do all the exercises okay, still a bit achy for the next couple of days but by day 5 I was absolutely fine. Level 2 is HARD work, but I don't ache afterwards, so it's a bonus! I just find learning new moves a bit tricky. I take one day a week off (Sundays) where if I do any form of exercise it's walking (usually around the shop or to the park, etc) and that has me on for good form the following day, so... it takes a little more than 30 days :)
    Stick at it chick, because you WON'T regret it :) xx
  • chizumlassstar
    Options
    :indifferent: Okay, just finished day 4 (literally still sweating, waiting for the shower to open up) anyways, I am experiencing some slight pain in/on my shins. I had the same problem when I did the "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism" dvd. I really love Jillian and hew workouts and I don't want to stop because I know it is good for me but what do you guys think. I'm planning on taking a rest day (at least a day where I don't do this specific dvd, maybe just a walk with some light running) but is this soreness something that will go away with more diligence or should I take it easy?

I know my body is changing and therefore my muscles are having to adapt to the stress I'm putting them under but I'm really afraid of getting a full blown case of shin splints. I feel them the most during the butt kicks and then the morning after. Oh, I probably should mention that I am severly flat footed and have and use orthopedic insoles in my workout shoes.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Morgan :indifferent:
  • mpayne82
    Options
    I've done about 35 days of the 30DS DVD and I only took 3 days off out of that time. I didn't give myself a day off until I moved on to level 2 and now I feel bad/regretful if I dont do the work out. I moved myself on after 10 days whether I wanted to or not. Your body needs the change up! I started with 3lb weights and I just started (last night) level 1 with 5lb weights and I can feel it again! I never got to the point that I was going ALL out like {Natalie} on the dvd but I can see and feel the muscle tone in my body that I didn't have before. It's a great feeling. Combining that dvd with MFP and some intermittent walking/running etc you WILL see a difference. You may not have Jillians body in 30 days but it sure didn't take 30 days to get me to the fluffy body I had before I started.
  • littlenoms
    Options
    I am on day 23, and it feels amazing!

Personally, I have only taken 3 rest days, and one was because by day 3 of level 1, I could barely move!

I find that day 1 and day 3 of each level are the toughest. But by the end of each level so far, I have worked my way up to be between the two girls (harder than Anita but not quite at Natalie's level). I could even do REAL pushups by the end of level 1! I'm finding that each level is making a different part of my body ache - level 1 was thighs, level 2 was arms, level 3 is my back & shoulders.

Stick with it. I know at the beginning of each level it seems like you will NEVER be able to move on, but by day 7 and 8, you'll probably feel ready for the challenge.
  • chizumlassstar
    Options
    I can already tell a difference in muscle definition as far as my arms and legs go. Plus I weighed myself last night and I was down to 235.8, I started this weight loss journey at 246 about a month ago! ( I haven't been doing 30DS the whole time, but have been doing Jillian workouts almost that whole time) It is amazing. I figure it will take me about 6 weeks to finish the 30 days. 5 days on, 1 day rest, 5 days same level, rest day, 5 days next level and so on and so forth. You're right, it didn't happen in 30 days, its not gonna go away in 30 days either. Oh, and I started with 2 pound weights. I know that seems kind-of weak but my upper body strength is really lacking. I was going to buy 3 pounders today but they only had one left on the shelf and when I asked if they maybe had more in the back I got a really snotty answer that they are always all on the shelf, so I thought, well fine then, I will take my business elsewhere. (WalMart, go figure). However, what is your guy's opinion on that. Should I increase by more? I don't want to kill myself but I want to make a change. I guess since I see such a difference already, but I'm afraid if I buy weights too heavy I will overdo it, and if I buy them too light it will be a waste of money. Suggestions?

Also looking for any advice on the shin-splint situation.

Much appreciation for all the encouragment and inspiring words. Thanks a million.
  • SonoraflowerKim
    Options
    Hang in there. Listen to your body. i have completed level 1, 2, and 3 and no rest days. But if your body is telling you to stop, then listen. Jillian will also say .. do what you can and if you have to modify, that's ok, just keep moving in some form or fashion.

As far as weights, by level 3, you will begin jump training and some of it is with weights. So keep all sets of weights that you get close by. If one exercise with weights is hard, the back out to a lower weight. You will get better as you go. Also consider that you are at a heavier weight, so some of these moves will be harder on your body, but YOU will burn some calories doing them :-) Just do the best you can do and after the 30 day set, then take a week or two off and go back and try it again IF it worked for you.

I found that once I was done with level 2 and 1/2 way into level 3, I wanted to do weight training...which is my newest component in my daily program. I think you might find weights good as well, they will tone you and strengthen you...so when you get ready for more weights, BIGGER ones....don't be scared of it, go in and own it!!! Just like you will with the 30 day shred.

You remember all the reasons why you want to do this fitness thing and keep the goals right in front of your mind. One day at a time....do what you feel you can do and push yourself just a little :-) Enjoy finding that new body that is hiding inside of you. Don't get discouraged, remember it took years to pack on weight and it takes some time to get rid of the weight. :-)
  • msteresao
    msteresao Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chizumlassstar
    Options
    Wow, that was amazing, thank you. We actually have a weight bench sitting in the garage taking up a parking spot, maybe it will have to come inside, then I will be able to park my vehicle in there!!!

Thank you so much for the encouragment. :happy:
  • mbnharrison
    mbnharrison Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've done 30DS about 6 times in the last 2 years and every time Level 1 sucks after the time away from Jillian but every time I achieve the results that I'm looking for. I'm glad you settled on taking a couple of break days otherwise all 30 days back to back gets really unbearable (at least in my option)! Keep at it - the great thing about Jillian on DVD is you can yell at her and she doesn't yell back ;)
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I found that the first 2 or 3 days of each level kicked my butt, but by day 8 or so I could complete the workout with what felt like a reasonable amount of effort. (And then I would move to the next level after 10 days, and get my butt kicked all over again.)

I really liked the results I got, and am about to start another round tomorrow. I'll do 4 days of 30DS, and 3 days of C25K (doubling up on Saturday so I can have my Sundays OFF) for the next 7 weeks or so.
  • tam_a_ram_a
    tam_a_ram_a Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started 30DS 12 days ago. I was supposed to start Level 2 yesterday, but you know what, I was feeling like my body needed a rest from it, so I took a rest day. It does get easier. By Day 4 I was noticing my endurance was increasing and I was able to do regular pushups.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You should always take rest days! I am doing the 30ds on M/W/F. I am at Day 6 of level one and have already lost inches all over. Keep it up, but definitely take rest days!
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You won't believe how much your endurance will improve after only a week of sticking to it. it might still be hard, but you will begin to feel stronger during each circuit. stick with each level as long as you need to. I thought I was relatively in shape when I started, but these videos let me know that my fitness had a long way to go. I have both RI30 and 30DS and rather than focus on getting through the sequence, I mix up the workouts from both discs (levels 1, 2 and 3 on RI30, and levels 1 and 2 on 30DS) so that I am constantly changing up the routine. Once I am a bit stronger, I will mix in the higher levels, too.

Have fun with them, and you'll see, your endurance and strength will ramp up quickly, just stick with it!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with shin pain. I modifyied my jumping (did calf raises instead) when it was really bad. I'm on level 3 now. I think it is easier than level 2 (or I'm just getting stronger!!)