PCOSers Carb Count

Options
For those of you that have PCOS (if you don't, please don't reply) ..

What do you keep your carb count at? And have you found that you get different results if you keep your carb count at a lower setting than the MFP suggested setting?

Replies

• LittleFootHafner
    Options
    50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat.
    I know that's probably a HORRIBLE ratio, but I am working harder to lower the carbs these days...

I think I am allowed about 160 carbs per day, out of 1270 calories.

I think when I go over my max, my body doesn't like it very much, but it probably depends on the types of carbs as well...
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago when trying to get pregnant. Anyhow I finally got pregnant but during pregnancy I had gestational diabetes. I was on a great diet and gained very little weight. I said all that just to say this. Because I had to check my sugar 4x a day I kinda know what foods I had trouble with. I always go under in carbs but as long as I'm continually losing weight I'm not cutting them down as low as I did while pregnant. They told me to try to never eat anything that had more than 15 carbs in it at a time.... and balance everything with good protein. If I stop losing weight maybe I'll try that again. Until then I just limit myself on white breads, white tortilla, and sweets. I eat bagel thins, Healthy Life breads and corn tostadas instead. (I eat way more carbs than other PCOSers).
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP it was during Lent and I had given up all starches (bread, cereal, potatoes, pasta, rice) except on sunday when I took a rest day. During that time I really saw the weight drop off. Now that I am eating more starches and carbs again my weight loss has slowed down dramatically. I really need to get back to the no/low starches cause it really helps my body to drop the weight. I know that doesn't answer your question but I just take what MFP gives me and try to stay under that and most days I succeed.
  • SerenityGrl
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at a young age, and I don't know too much about it, but I cannot seem to get pregnant. I've been married almost 6 years with no protection and nothing has happened. However, I haven't had my cycle in years until this past mother's day. I am now having one maybe every 45 days...if I'm lucky. In saying all this, I didn't know that people with PCOS were supposed to watch the carb intake. Maybe I should read up on it. I actually only pay attention to the calories and that seems to work in the past because I lost 20lbs when I first joined this site. I have since gained it all back, but it was only because I wasn't following this and was cheating. Any suggestions on how to watch the carbs or how much I should be eating with PCOS? I'm sorry I don't really have an answer to your question that you asked, but I'm glad I read your post...maybe this will help me in the long run.
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 40% carbs, which for me, is @ 180 carbs per day for 1800 cals. This is on the advice of my nutritionist. If I can stick to this, it seems to work really well. I lose the weight and 180 carb grams is really do-able in a well balanced diet.
    Now, if I could just keep myself "balanced"....:laugh:
  • Janelle31
    Janelle31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001. At the time I had a hard time finding out much about how best to deal with it beyond the medication. Since then there seems to be more information about it and I've done some more research for myself. My doctor didn't mention anything to me about avoiding or limiting carbs, but I have read that that can be helpful. For me, however, I have found that if I cut back on my carbs I end up with really intense cravings. The cravings weren't even necessarily something specific because if I ate a little bit of what I thought my body was wanting then I'd end up craving something else. Right now my carbs with MFP are set at about 50% which is going to quite a bit higher than most PCOSers. This has been working for me and I've been seeing a slow but steady weightloss. I make sure that the carbs I am eating are as healthy as they can be including lots of whole grain products and almost no "white" products. I'm sure if I cut them back further I would see more results, but I don't see that as a viable long term solution for me. And I think that is something we each have to find...something that we can live with.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    For those PCOSers who have insulin resistance (which is most):

The carb count on MFP is considered high even for a normal person. For someone with insulin resistance, that level of carbs will slowly kill you.

The chemical reaction that burns carbohydrates and sugars for energy uses insulin. So the presence of carbs & sugar will trigger insulin production. Which is exactly what you *don't* want. Instead, you should try to get most of your energy through burning fat & protein. My doctor did the three-hour glucose test for me, to determine my optimum ratios for my metabolism, and he now has me at 5% carbs, 30% fat and 65% protein. That works out to 25g or fewer carbs per day, and at least 300g protein per day.

I've seen a lot of people on various threads here who are giving advice based on their experiences with gestational diabetes, and with all due respect to them, that's a completely different thing. With gestational diabetes, you're still trying to provide your growing fetus with certain vital nutrients, so the guidelines you used when you had that condition are NOT relevant for a non-pregnant woman with Type II diabetes, PCOS or hyperinsulinemia. The best thing for these conditions is an extremely low-carb, high-protein diet.

For more info on carbs & insulin, check out these sites:
    http://www.diabetesnewsstand.com/vissue/vernon/titlepage.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3M75cYpx2w

You might also try & find the documentaries "Fat Head" and "My Big Fat Diet." Very interesting stuff.

Good luck to you!
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    I keep my carbs to the lowest I can. below 75 if I can, some days you just want some more. The most important thing I have learned is to take protein in with every carb. Special K makes this protein water mix. You can find it at wal-mart where they sale the slim-fast. It has 30 cal 6 carbs and 5 fiber and 5 protein. If I manage 2-3 of these a day with my meals or through out the day I notice the biggest weight loss. I eat more protien and fiber than what is called for but that seems to be the best balance for my body. I found out all of this information that really helped explain what kind of diet I needed to be on and what all PCOS was about in a book called If at First You Don't Concieve. It is the best explantion about it, gives a diet guideline and suggestions on how to improve. It's not just about trying to have a baby. I just read the parts that affected me, has made a huge difference.
  • Janelle31
    Janelle31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I found a book that has an amazing amount of helpful information. The Ultimate PCOS Handbook by Collette Cheung. It doesn't give one idea that is supposed to work for all of us, but explains the usefulness of different diets, vitamins, etc,
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've found that low GI is much more important than low carb, atleast for my body. I tried sticking to below 100 or 50 carbs a day, and actually stopped losing the weeks that I tried that. Normally, I stay below 150 and it has worked well for me. Like I said, low GI works much better for me.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I've found that low GI is much more important than low carb, atleast for my body. I tried sticking to below 100 or 50 carbs a day, and actually stopped losing the weeks that I tried that. Normally, I stay below 150 and it has worked well for me. Like I said, low GI works much better for me.

Low GI does not work for me.. does nothing for me
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I found a book that has an amazing amount of helpful information. The Ultimate PCOS Handbook by Collette Cheung. It doesn't give one idea that is supposed to work for all of us, but explains the usefulness of different diets, vitamins, etc,

I have this book
  • KatyG0409
    KatyG0409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Right now I have mine at 40% Carbs 30% Protein 30% Fat. I find that I actually eat much less than even the 40% on most days. For me, 40% is right around 130 carbs daily and even that seems high to me. I found something where they recommend PCOSers to have a maximum of 40% carbs daily intake.
  • miam4nia
    miam4nia Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    15 % carbs, 45 % protein, 40% fat...

probably too much fat, but i never meet my protein goals and everywhere i read recommends around 40-50 g of carbs a day which is what this setting gives me!

i have another question that relates to the original question...but how many grams of sugar maximum should we PCOSers eat a day?
  • Kimmay85
    Options
    I know this might sound high, but I've been trying to keep mine at 120, which is 40% of my daily at 1200cals. Granted I have been doing it for 3 months now, but by tracking on the site, I've lost 13lbs in 16days, and have had a cycle now for 2 months in a row. *knocks on wood* So something has to be working right, somewhere in my body. It confuses me alot. I see people having only 50 carbs a day, and I've done the whole low carb thing, but it didn't work for me. I felt like crap all the time, everyday. I've also done the whole GI thing, didn't do much for me either. I hope this helps =)
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    It works well for me if I stick to low GI, and limit the carbs but don't worry too much about them.
  • salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS for 2 years now and have struggled with my weight loss. Someone (I can't remember which pal) suggested that I lower my carb intake to help me with losing. I changed that up to 106gm carbs a day (but I dont go over) and I lost more weight since Wednesday than I have the 2 weeks previous. I would say that helped tremendously, I was truly excited about the loss. Good luck to you!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i try to keep my carbs under 100g. for me that is 30% of my calorie intake. if i splurge and am over 170g, i immediately feel miserable (headaches, dizzy, cramping) and will see a gain on the scale of 3-5 pounds. i limit my fruit to ONE serving a day and try to get the rest of my carbs through veggies and milk/yogurt. :)
  • hpaige28
    hpaige28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and just started on Tuesday 08/28 and cut out the high carbs. In my first week I lost 9 pounds after years of going up and down. Actually this was the first real amount in the past 3 years since I lost. My nutrional coach says to look at Paleo websites too. Just wanted to say hi.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    This is an older post so not sure if the same people are around. I keep my carbs at around 200-300/day. Lately, I've been in the lower end of that range.