not losing ANY weight ARGHHHHHHHH

Options

Replies

• cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I calculated your Basal Metabolic Rate (http://exercise.about.com/library/blbmrcalculator.htm) and the result is 1485. This is the amount of calories your body needs to live and perform basic functions like breathing and pumping blood. By not consuming at least this amount of calories, your body goes into starvation mode which will prevent you from losing any weight. It sounds like you are doing great with your exercise program! My recommendation is to increase your calories to at least 1485 and NOT eat back exercise calories. I also recommend seeing a nutritionist to help you out with deciding how much/what to eat to lose weight in a healthy way and explain the science a little bit better.
  • newyorklover91
    newyorklover91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just read your comment about bloating - my husband has that same problem because he also has serious issues with his guts.

As you know, what you eat makes a huge difference. For him, it is anything with a lot of salt, even one or two beers, or anything with a lot of grain.

If you are seriously worried about bloat, you might log your waist/bloat and look at your previous day's diary and see if there are foods you're just having trouble digesting.

Also, taking extremely high fiber - 35 g of Metamucil plus a regular diet - made a huge difference in his life. Your fruit may do that for you, but it's something to consider. (If you don't have Metamucil in Australia, it's a powdered dietary fiber supplement.)

Yes we have that, but I never use it because I'm always worried about the side effects......... lol!

I will take all this in and write it out and stick it on my wall tomorrow and adhere to it ASAP.

Thank you all for your help it is greatly appreciated. :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Are you on any birth control?
  • Slimat30
    Options
    I'm losing at 2000 cals so def up your calories x
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Consider going wheat/gluten free. Do a 2 week trial and see if that helps your bloating and IBS. A lot of people say it has really helped them. I found it easier to just remove all wheat and not try to replace it. I had the attitude it is only for 2 weeks, I can live that long without bread! And I did, it was no problem really.

After 2 weeks if the bloating stops and if you feel better it will make it easier to not go back to wheat/gluten. If you decide it helped and want stay that way then you can start looking to replace some of the things if you decide to.

Yes I went back to having wheat because i had no problems really before I tried it and did not see/feel any different so I decided it served no purpose for me.
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I second that about the carbs.. I keep a very close eye on mine, trying to keep it around the 150 mark. If I overdo them I will feel so unbelievably bloated and sluggish. Sodium is one to watch too.

Up those calories! And try to aim for your macros. It will be a learning curve at first to see what food fits into the categories... Chicken for protein, wholegrain for fibre etc, but it will come with time. I didn't have a clue when I first started either!

I also changed my macros from the pre set mfp ones to 40 carbs/30 fat/30 protein.

I too, was scared about eating more.. I did 1200 calories and lost 18lbs without feeling hungry, but my body decided it needed more. I reached goal weight by increasing to 1500. If I wanted to lose more I would increase again. It IS possible to eat more and weigh less. Just give it a chance x
  • newyorklover91
    Options

Yes I am, It's called Brenda 35 ED. I have never had any side effects from it though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yes I am, It's called Brenda 35 ED. I have never had any side effects from it though.

Make sure you're weighing and measuring your food to ensure that you're calculating it correctly. Also, take measurements and pay attention to whether your clothes are getting looser. Sometimes you will lose fat and get smaller even without seeing a change on the scale.

If you've checked all that and still no change, see your doctor. It could be a thyroid or other health issue or it could be the BC. Bodies change and if you've been on it a while, you could develop side effects you never had before.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Would you mind sharing your workout regimen? I have the same stats as you, but also the same problem as the OP. I however have a sedentary desk job so not much I can change with that. Still would love to see your workout based on that calorie intake! :)
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Go here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ Try to do your cardio on an empty stomach like Sat. morning. Cycle your carbs in the morning in the afternoon cut them out.
  • newyorklover91
    Options

Would you mind sharing your workout regimen? I have the same stats as you, but also the same problem as the OP. I however have a sedentary desk job so not much I can change with that. Still would love to see your workout based on that calorie intake! :)

I do the Bob Harper 20 min Pure Burn dvd every morning at 6am, and as soon as I come home from work I am doing a workout based on all of Jillian Michaels DVDs, It's a plan she made up herself (apparently) and it alternates from one dvd to the next each day.

I have read through that Blog you guys gave me, and have worked out that I will put it at 2000 calories per day. HOWEVER....................... I have tried to adjust the settings on MFP and I click save and it just goes back to what it was! I dont konw what im clicking wrong :(
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Honestly with height of 171 at 64kg, you probably don't have much to lose to begin with.
  • newyorklover91
    Options
    Nevermind.. it finally saved!

I cant believe it says I have a body fat % of 32.2 %......................... REALLY?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Nevermind.. it finally saved!

I cant believe it says I have a body fat % of 32.2 %......................... REALLY?

LOL, are you using one of those damn handle things to measure? The number changes on me every time. I bet if you measure it again, you will see a different number, too. :)

Since I don't have easy access to a proper body fat measuring machine, I go by pictures and how my old clothes fit.
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    I calculated your Basal Metabolic Rate (http://exercise.about.com/library/blbmrcalculator.htm) and the result is 1485. This is the amount of calories your body needs to live and perform basic functions like breathing and pumping blood. By not consuming at least this amount of calories, your body goes into starvation mode which will prevent you from losing any weight. It sounds like you are doing great with your exercise program! My recommendation is to increase your calories to at least 1485 and NOT eat back exercise calories. I also recommend seeing a nutritionist to help you out with deciding how much/what to eat to lose weight in a healthy way and explain the science a little bit better.

I understand that BMR is not what it NEEDS but what it USES.

We're all here on a site that's telling me that at 5'8", 190, 16.7%BF, and 40 years old that I need to consume 1360 (1000 cal deficit) per day to create a 2lb per week loss.

Which is it?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Converting from metric... You're 5'7 and 141 pounds. That's pretty damn good.

It's not pounds you need to lose. It's bodyfat. Set your goals to lose a half pound a week, aim for at least 100g of protein a day, eat most of your exercise calories, and strength train with heavy weights. Toss the scale out the window and track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit, and photos.
    Yes! And go read Lorina's post about her journey here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics It's very inspiring!

And you mentioned being afraid to eat 1800 cals - I'm nearly your size, an inch taller and a couple of pounds lighter, give or take on any given day - I eat 1800 or more on daily basis. The fat is coming off. I lift the heaviest weights I've got using a phone app for the workout plan, and I do a bit of running. I'm buying new clothes, my body is getting firmer, stronger, leaner.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

I understand that BMR is not what it NEEDS but what it USES.

We're all here on a site that's telling me that at 5'8", 190, 16.7%BF, and 40 years old that I need to consume 1360 (1000 cal deficit) per day to create a 2lb per week loss.

Which is it?

Uses and needs is pretty much the same thing--BMR is what your body needs to sustain itself even if you were in a coma. Since we all get up, go to work, etc., we burn more than that every day already. Add in exercise, and the burn goes up even more.

I'm 5'7", 168 lbs, 38 years old, 31% BF. I can't remember what MFP gave me off the bat for the 1 lb/week I originally set it for, but I think it was somewhere in the 1500 range. My BMR is 1520, so MFP was actually putting me below BMR. I've reset it for 1.5/week, but entered my own calorie goal of 1950 and don't eat back exercise calories unless I do so much exercise on a given day that it would take my net below 1500. I lift weights 2-3x/week and do one or two short high-intensity interval sessions for cardio.

It's a slower way to lose, sure, but it's generally more sustainable. Plus as we get older, too rapid weight loss = sagging skin.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Houndoggys
    Houndoggys Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Definitely too many carbs. Unless you are training for minimum 2 hrs day, too much sugar. Those days with missed meals can hurt you too. Burn the fat, feed the muscle. Lots of good responses. Tweak it up and give ur body 2 weeks. Good luck
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    You have pretyy much exactly the same stats as me and I consider myself pretty lean with some soft/flabby bits I am working on. Cut down on your carbs, increase your protein. Incorporate weight training (more than the vids your watching) and start shaping your body as opposed to trying to 'lose' weight. You don't need to lose any weight, you need to shape up from the sounds of it. Happy to friend you if you need motivation - we are in the same boat!