Help with Calories

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for the past 6 months, I've done a running program, worked with a trainer, and I've only gained inches and lbs. No one has an explanation. I've tried doing weight watchers because it has worked for me in the past, lost 40 lbs in high school. That was 7 years ago and I'm trying to lose 15 more at this point. I am allowed 23 ww points and have been doing that for the past few weeks, I was losing slowly but lost 2 lbs and then gained 3 in a week. I thought about trying MFP and it says to eat 1440 cals. On ww 23 points roughly equals 1150 calories. The 1440 from MFP seems high but then again ww wasn't working!
Any advice would be great....I've opened by diary for help! Thanks so much!

Replies

• farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would recommend trying to eat the calories that MFP recommends and I would also tell you to eat some protein with every meal. I eat way more protein than MFP tells me too on a daily basis. It keeps me full longer and it helps me to build up muscle. I try to stay under the carbs MFP gives me. I try to hit the calorie's pretty close. I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    . On ww 23 points roughly equals 1150 calories. The 1440 from MFP seems high but then again ww wasn't working!
    Any advice would be great....I've opened by diary for help! Thanks so much!

WW leaves room for you to eat all those "free" fruits and veggies. That can add up to several hundred calories in a day.

Most people I've seen (including myself) have been far more successful using MFP than WW.
  • AshLinds11
    Options
    WW leaves room for you to eat all those "free" fruits and veggies. That can add up to several hundred calories in a day.

I do the old program where fruits and veggies do count as points.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    WW is what hurt you. Eating that low calories causes your body to catabolize your lean body mass so a lot of your weight loss was muscle loss. Why don't you post your stats, height, weight, age, job/lifestyle and your exercise routine. Also, it may take time, as you will have to stabilize your body and make up for the issues WW creates. Sucks, but it's reality.
  • AshLinds11
    Options
    I'm 24, 5'7 I fluctuate daily between 167-170 I workout (zumba/running/light weights) for about an hour each day. I'm usually moving around during the day, I'm pretty active.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm 24, 5'7 I fluctuate daily between 167-170 I workout (zumba/running/light weights) for about an hour each day. I'm usually moving around during the day, I'm pretty active.
    BMR = 1606
    TDEE (Mod. Active) = 2490
    2490 - 20% = 1992

Eat 2490 calories a day for a couple of weeks. After that, cut calories to 1990.

or, more conservatively as I don't know what you consider moving around...

TDEE (Lightly Active) = 2210
    2210 - 20% = 1768

Eat 2200 calories a day for a couple of weeks. After that, cut calories to 1770.
  • AshLinds11
    Options
    BMR = 1606
    2490 - 20% = 1992

Eat 2490 calories a day for a couple of weeks. After that, cut calories to 1990.

2210 - 20% = 1768

Eat 2200 calories a day for a couple of weeks. After that, cut calories to 1770.

That seems like a TON. MFP told me 1440.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    BMR = 1606
    2490 - 20% = 1992

2210 - 20% = 1768

That seems like a TON. MFP told me 1440.
    So, you set moderately active and told it 2lbs a week right? :wink:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BMR = 1606
    2490 - 20% = 1992

2210 - 20% = 1768

This man has it down (I would probably compromise around 1850 calories). I would also suggest 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.

OP, you are an active person, which requires a lot of calories. Also, one thing that wasn't suggest with cutting down on cardio type exercise and do heavy weight training. Light weight/high reps is only good for endurance. Cardio is good for heart health and burning a ton of calories. Heavy weight/low rep is good for cutting fat and maintain your metabolic rate and muscle mass (which was most likely depleted due to WW LCD).
  • KatiO11
    KatiO11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can you help me figure out what my calories should be as well? I'm 32, 5'7", 196 and want to get to at least 150. I am lightly active right now- 3 days of boot camp just started this week. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should be eating calorie wise. I am doing a no carb, low calorie "weight loss" diet through the Boot Camp. Any help is appreciated!
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Can you help me figure out what my calories should be as well? I'm 32, 5'7", 196 and want to get to at least 150. I am lightly active right now- 3 days of boot camp just started this week. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should be eating calorie wise. I am doing a no carb, low calorie "weight loss" diet through the Boot Camp. Any help is appreciated!
    BMR = 1682

TDEE as lightly active = 2312

Cut 20% and eat 1850 a day. If you've stalled, eat at maintenance for two weeks first of all and as you're a low carber, be aware that the second you breathe near a carb, you'll gain weight.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't eating the right foods..... Typically people trying to 'diet' eat far too little protein, and way too much sodium in 'low cal/low fat' foods..... re-evaluate what's actually healthy, because it sounds like you're not making the best food choices..... and probably havent been eating enough on ww. lifestyle changes work. diets do not.
  • KatiO11
    KatiO11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you!