split shins

Options
zeala
zeala Posts: 119 Member
I am pretty sure I am getting some split shins. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to heal? Disappointed that I can't do running today.
Next time definitely more stretching and taking it a bit easier.

Replies

• rachefc
    rachefc Posts: 18
    Options
    It depends how bad it has got before you rest them. And do lots of stretches now and tomorrow etc, you don't only have to do them when you exercise!!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are caused by needing new running shoes. They will immediately go away when you replace the shoes!
  • gallacy
    Options
    Proper shoes are very very important. Be sure you are wearing good running shoes.
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    it depends on how severe the injury is and what you are doing to remedy the situation. It can actually take quite a bit of time to heal if the damage is bad enough or if the pain is severe enough. I went through it a few times myself.

Do you know what the cause is? it can sometimes be bad shoes or a bad running surface. But from what I have seen, most of the time it's a muscle imbalance issue. Shin splints occurs because the ankle dorsiflexors (the shin muscles which pull the top surface of the foot toward the shin) keep the foot from being pulled away from the shin too rapidly and are not functioning as well as they should.

This article I linked to below gives some basic exercises to help with shin splints. I did them for awhile and it made a huge difference.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Shin-Splint-Treatment---Top-Shin-Splint-Exercises-You-Should-Be-Doing&id=2443421
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps to take a break from running on tarmac and switch to cross country its a slight difference but enough to make a difference for me.
  • Caitie100
    Options
    Make sure you bend your knees well when running, i have found that if I dont conciously bend my knees while running, i get them.
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Shin splints are caused by needing new running shoes. They will immediately go away when you replace the shoes!

Not true. New shoes will drastically improve shin splints but they won't go away instantly. Shin splints are an overusage injury. Ice, rest, ibprofin if needed.
  • jconway
    jconway Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to get them really bad when I was a competitive gymnast. I had to have a trainer rub them out, however, you can do it yourself. It will hurt, but will feel better in the end. Ice and an over the counter pain aid will help as well. Good luck!
  • Jillian
    Jillian Posts: 88
    Options
    Wearing compression/ support socks will help. 15-20mmHg compression, you don't need a prescription, usually you can find them at a pharmacy or home health care store. Very painful, I've had them a few times. But not since the socks! Good luck!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

Not true. New shoes will drastically improve shin splints but they won't go away instantly. Shin splints are an overusage injury. Ice, rest, ibprofin if needed.

I don't agree with you...
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Well she is correct. Shin Splints won't immediately go away simply because someone buys new shoes, no matter how nice or well-fitting they are. Shin splints (the actual medical term is medial tibial stress syndrome) can take some time to heal. Untreated shin splints can lead to a stress reaction mid-shaft in the tibia, which can eventually lead to a stress fracture. I don't care how new your shoes are, you're not going to fix something like a stress fracture with them. They can also be caused by overstriding. New shes won't help with that. Yet another common cause is a muscle imbalance. Shoes won't instantly fix that either.

As far as treatment goes, NSAIDS and ice is recommended, as well as rest so the problem doesn't get worse.
  • amthomps521
    Options
    Last year halfway through my training for my first half marathon I developed shin splints. I was doing some training sessions with a physical therapist to help me with an ankle problem I had for years, and he told me immediately go out and get calf sleeves, I think it's similar to the compression/sports socks that Jillian was posting about. I don't remember them being expensive, I believe they hepled a LOT. Only one leg was affected but I wore them on both anyway. I also changed to a slightly different running shoe, but I don't know for sure how much that helped. I consulted someone at running specialty store who really seemed to know her stuff. It seemed like with the new shoes my foot had less tendency to turn inward- so I'm hoping the shin splints never return. I guess I'll find out when I start training for another half this spring.
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the shoes, as I change them out and make sure not to run on ones with worn soles. In my case I think it was definitely overdoing it.
    Still I should perhaps look into some shoe insole to stabilize the foot better.

I'll try taking some advil and hopefully this isn't too serious ( although I have been having some pain for a week now).
    Thanks for the responses.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Well I went to school for sports medicine and I can tell you that shin splints can be from unsupportive shoes, over pronated flat feet, biomechanical training errors, running on hard surfaces and starting off training too hard and too soon. So I guess you are both right.

But they won't always go away immediately after you switch shoes.

The muscles are pulling away from the Tibia so you have microtears that take time to heal.

Do ice massages on your shin where the pain is, take advil ~ as close to 800mg as you can get without hurting your tummy and take it consistently for the next three days. (it takes 3 days of consistent use to turn into a good anti-inflamm. in your body)

The shin sleeve would definitely be something to look into. It mimics a tape job that we do for shin splints that forces the muscle to stick close to the shin instead of pull away.