Steel cut overnight oats fail :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I cook mine once a week. I cook them pretty much as directed on the package and use water...I actually didn't like the consistency with milk. I can't stand the mushy consistency of rolled oats but have read there's little nutritional difference.

I cook mine, let it cool, split into 8oz wide mouth mason jars, top with 1tsp brown sugar per serving and a little bit of raisins. I have the plastic mason jar lids (which are dishwasher safe and plastic so they won't rust) and I just pull a jar of oats out of the fridge each morning, microwave 1min, stir & eat. Just add a little water or milk when you reheat if you don't like the consistency (I'm fine with it but it's a little different from just-cooked).
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am having some steel cut overnight oats misery as well. But I made it pretty good earlier this week. I used 1/2 cup of Skim Milk with 1/2 cup steel oats... with other stuff. I think that I put in a spoon full of peanut butter and a banana this time. But I put it in the fridge much earlier in the evening then what I was before.

So instead, I put it in the fridge around 5:30 pm instead of 10ish... It came out much MUCH better. I eat it at my desk around 7(ish) in the office.

Hope this helps and you don't waste your money on the steel cut oats.
  • patbelford
    patbelford Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Invest in a rice cooker. Soak the oats overnight in the cooker with as much water as you'd use for the same amount of white rice. When you wake up, turn on the rice cooker and in 20 minutes they will be done. They can be quite starchy so they probably will bubble over a bit, but they clean up easy. If you are worried about sugars, try sweetening them with a 1/3 of a cup of unsweetened apple sauce. I have done this with both McCann's oats and the bulk variety.
  • KLD05
    Options
    I have used steel cut oats for an overnight. It worked ok - I did use milk and yogurt instead of water, and also added some chia seeds and fresh fruit. Banana and cinnamon tastes good!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Dont bother with them at all , grains and the like are hindering actual weightloss, reality is the current modern food pyramid is false. The only reason they want you to eat so many whole grains,wheat etc is it helps keep farms in business. If you reallly want to get fit,healthy,lose weight go with Eating only plants,animals,no sugars. You would be amazed at how much better you feel when you get rid of those other foods you dont really need.

What is the "current modern food pyramid"?? And aren't most food animals and plants raised on farms?
  • kezoo
    Options
    I see these posts about overnight oats quite often. Why are you cooking them overnight? The package I have says to cook for 10-20 min.

I've even soaked them in cold water for 30-40 min like you would bulgar wheat and they are soft.

She was talking about steel cut oats, not rolled oats. Steel cut takes much longer to cook & soften up. Getting them started at night & letting them soak overnight will result in ready to go first thing in the morning oats. :) For people w/ small children, sometimes even 10-20 minutes is too long to wait on a busy weekday morning!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Dont bother with them at all , grains and the like are hindering actual weightloss, reality is the current modern food pyramid is false. The only reason they want you to eat so many whole grains,wheat etc is it helps keep farms in business. If you reallly want to get fit,healthy,lose weight go with Eating only plants,animals,no sugars. You would be amazed at how much better you feel when you get rid of those other foods you dont really need.

This did not answer her question, but thanks for playing! SMH

For the record, we are omnivores by nature. How do you know? We have CANINES, and their purpose is tearing meat.

And GOD FORBID we should support farmers...

This bit of sarcasm brought to you by your friendly Black Angus cattle farmer, owner, and eater.

BTW OP, steel cut oats take so much longer because they are cut less and left more in their natural state. I would be interested to see how long it would take to get them to soak...maybe put a little cup aside and see how long it takes? Perhaps overnight oats with steel cut should be 4 day oats instead =)
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Tried making overnight oats with steel cut oatmeal last night, this morning it had barely absorbed any of the water. Not sure what went wrong. Luckily I had made a batch with regular oatmeal as well so I was able to eat that instead. Any tips on how to make this with steel cut oatmeal? Should I maybe have used hot water instead of cold?

I use John McCanns Steel cut oats and Ive never had trouble.
    Boil the appropriate amount of water.
    dump in the oats
    Boil covered for 3 minutes
    Turn off burner
    Go to sleep
    Wake up
    Turn on burner
    stir
    heat and eat

*milk makes no difference other than additional calories and fat use it if you wish instead of water

Thanks for this! I tried the Refrigerator Oatmeal recipe three different ways and it was awful each time (full disclosure: once the milk was rancid and I didn't notice). Plus oatmeal is just weird when it's cold...

Now the remaining steel cut oats will be eaten; again, thanks so much!!

Edited to clarify: *and I didn't notice (the milk was yuck) until I tried to eat the oatmeal
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I see these posts about overnight oats quite often. Why are you cooking them overnight? The package I have says to cook for 10-20 min.

I've even soaked them in cold water for 30-40 min like you would bulgar wheat and they are soft.

You don't cook them overnight, you are soaking the oats. Overnight only works with rolled oats however, and this is great because you can grab and go in the morning!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

She was talking about steel cut oats, not rolled oats. Steel cut takes much longer to cook & soften up. Getting them started at night & letting them soak overnight will result in ready to go first thing in the morning oats. :) For people w/ small children, sometimes even 10-20 minutes is too long to wait on a busy weekday morning!

I was also talking about steel cut oats not rolled oats. The package of organic steel cut oats I have says to cook them for 10-20 minutes. And I wasn't questioning whether anyone had 10-20 min of free time, just wondering why you'd cook something for several hours when the instructions say 10-20 min.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

I was also talking about steel cut oats not rolled oats. The package of organic steel cut oats I have says to cook them for 10-20 minutes. And I wasn't questioning whether anyone had 10-20 min of free time, just wondering why you'd cook something for several hours when the instructions say 10-20 min.

I think they bring them to a boil and then turn it off, allowing to oats to be cooked by the stored heat.
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love this website for oatmeal ideas

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I cook mine once a week. I cook them pretty much as directed on the package and use water...I actually didn't like the consistency with milk. I can't stand the mushy consistency of rolled oats but have read there's little nutritional difference.

I cook mine, let it cool, split into 8oz wide mouth mason jars, top with 1tsp brown sugar per serving and a little bit of raisins. I have the plastic mason jar lids (which are dishwasher safe and plastic so they won't rust) and I just pull a jar of oats out of the fridge each morning, microwave 1min, stir & eat. Just add a little water or milk when you reheat if you don't like the consistency (I'm fine with it but it's a little different from just-cooked).

This^^ I make anywhere from 4-8 servings at once. Put them in freezer safe ziploc bags and throw them all in the freezer. The night before I want one I stick it in the fridge and then reheat it in a bowl in the morning with my toppings. This way I don't have to eat them every morning and they will last for 2-3 weeks in the freezer.
  • mcgui016
    Options
    McCann's Steel Cut Oats are the BEST! and Gluten free :)

Here is my recipe, I promise it will smell like Christmas morning when you wake up!!

2 cups McCann's Oats
    6 cups Light Soy Milk
    2 apples diced
    1/2 cup raisins
    4 T Cinnamon
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup honey
    1 cup chopped walnuts

I put mine in the crockpot around 9pm on the 8hr setting and in the morning it is heavenly!
    Legit it tastes so good it's almost like bread pudding!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

This is out right False and not sound dietary advice

Actually it is sound advice but its for a lifestyle change not a short term diet, you also reduce carbs big time that is the bodies number 1 killer of diets. Just google Primal Blueprint, their actual claims etc are backed by true actual scientific,medical testing and not just testing on a group of 50 people to see if it worked. A bowl of oatmeal a week wont destroy you but thinking oatmeal is the best thing for you, your kidding yourself.

We were born to run. We are the only creatures on earth with the capability to out run, distance not speed, nearly every other animal on the planet. To run long distances you need carbs! Big huge bowls of oatmeal. The primal diet is a great diet but it misses a huge biological reality. Humans chased down their food long before they fired a gun at them or trained horses to ride.

take this excerpt from an arcticle...
    Human traits appear to be specifically adapted for running—and for jogging for long distances. So Dennis Bramble and David Lieberman were not at all surprised that a man won the Man Versus Horse Marathon. It fits their hypothesis. Unlike many mammals, not to mention primates, people are astonishingly successful endurance runners, "and I don't think it's just a fluke," Lieberman says. He and Bramble argue that not only can humans outlast horses, but over long distances and under the right conditions, they can also outrun just about any other animal on the planet—including dogs, wolves, hyenas, and antelope, the other great endurance runners. From our abundant sweat glands to our Achilles tendons, from our big knee joints to our muscular glutei maximi, human bodies are beautifully tuned running machines. "We're loaded top to bottom with all these features, many of which don't have any role in walking," Lieberman says. Our anatomy suggests that running down prey was once a way of life that ensured hominid survival millions of years ago on the African savanna. -http://discovermagazine.com/2006/may/tramps-like-us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

Long distance runner require fuel or glycogen. Eating Oatmeal pasta and other high carb foods help keep our glycogen stores up. Good luck running endurance distances on a primal diet ...http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-fuel-a-marathon/#axzz25j9kKNJj Mark explains how here but I assure you that is not how things worked before or even now with modern day Persistence hunters
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Bump (but because I want to follow the recipes, not the ridiculous dialogue about the evils of oatmeal)
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think we're talking about two different oatmeal preparations here.

A lot of people make a big batch of cooked steel cut oats in their crock pot overnight. It's just a time saver and there are lots of recipes on the internet.

This is different from the overnight oatmeal that you eat cold. In this preparation you use rolled oats, milk and or yogurt and fruit. You put everything in a container and let it sit in the fridge overnight. In the morning you eat it cold. Some people put nuts, granola, cereal, etc... on top.