Beginning weight machines, help!

Options
Okay, so I've been doing cardio for awhile now but I have a huge amount of muscle under all this flab. I think weight lifting would really, really benefit me. I can't really afford a trainer at this time so I've been scouring the internet and found this beginning weight machine routine.

Chest press, 12 x3
Pull down, 12 x3
Shoulder press, 12 x3
Seated row, 12 x3
Leg press, 12 x3
Leg curls, 12 x3
Abdominal crunch, 12 x3

Apparently I should do this for 6 to 8 weeks, 2-3 times a week, starting with a weight that is comfortable for me and then working my way up. Can any of you weight lifting pros tell me if this sounds like a reasonable beginning routine? Should I add or subtract any machines? Is this enough reps, etc? Thank you ever so kindly!

Replies

• xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Free weights are much, much better for you. I started on the machines and got some muscle from it but I know I work so much harder using free weights. Bodybuilding.com has a lot of workouts online. I think your setup there looks good but switch to free weights!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've been doing cardio for awhile now but I have a huge amount of muscle under all this flab. I think weight lifting would really, really benefit me. I can't really afford a trainer at this time so I've been scouring the internet and found this beginning weight machine routine.

Chest press, 12 x3
    Pull down, 12 x3
    Shoulder press, 12 x3
    Seated row, 12 x3
    Leg press, 12 x3
    Leg curls, 12 x3
    Abdominal crunch, 12 x3

Apparently I should do this for 6 to 8 weeks, 2-3 times a week, starting with a weight that is comfortable for me and then working my way up. Can any of you weight lifting pros tell me if this sounds like a reasonable beginning routine? Should I add or subtract any machines? Is this enough reps, etc? Thank you ever so kindly!

It is not bad as far as using machines goes, but a lot of people including myself would tell you that free weights are much better.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Cool, thanks guys. I was thinking about the free weights too, but kinda scared of it. Lol. I'll check out that website.
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have been using resistance bands. My BF has some free weights but also uses the bands on certain workouts.
  • tipoo
    tipoo Posts: 11
    Options
    Don't be afraid of free weights! The biggest risk comes from dropping them on yourself, lol. As long as you're smart about it, there isn't much to worry about. Machines on the other hand can throw off your muscular balance by only working main muscles, not stabilizing muscles.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You might want to think about training certain body parts on different days. For example, today was shoulders/abs for me, and tomorrow is legs. Other days are back/biceps etc. - you get the picture.

Even if you don't follow the whole program, you should check out Jamie Eason's LiveFit program on Bodybuilding.com - it has 12 weeks of weights already in a schedule! You could use that for ideas. Good Luck!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    free weights 100%. You can find youtube videos on anything you want to do. Check out New Rules of Lifting For Women while you're at it
  • hurton
    hurton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oxygen Magazine has great, easy to follow workout! Just use the wight your comfortable with!
  • ldytaz
    ldytaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, free weights are much better for you and that's what I do everyday is use dumb bells, no machines for me. Push the weight and reps to exhaustion then add more weight and so on.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've been doing cardio for awhile now but I have a huge amount of muscle under all this flab.

I don't understand, cardio does not usually build large amounts of muscle.

I think weight lifting would really, really benefit me. I can't really afford a trainer at this time so I've been scouring the internet and found this beginning weight machine routine.

Chest press, 12 x3
    Pull down, 12 x3
    Shoulder press, 12 x3
    Seated row, 12 x3
    Leg press, 12 x3
    Leg curls, 12 x3
    Abdominal crunch, 12 x3

You should add the Lat pull down machine. I've read that it can't be duplicated with free weights. Otherwise your program looks fine, but after 8 weeks, when you've built up a foundation of strength, you should try free weights as well. (You could try them now, but it seems as if you've decided on a program.)

You also might want to try the assisted pull up and dip machine (you use part of your bodyweight), the Captains Chair (a station that allows you to do crunches using your body weight) and body weight exercises such as push ups. Start with the wall version if you need to.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Free weights are better but do it in front of a mirror and make sure your form is PERFECT; also I would start with 2 sets not 3 since this will be your first time doing weight training. Light weight is your best bet 12-15 reps (you can even go no weight and do isometric or your own resistance)

Here's a good article for beginners:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/a/weight101.htm
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared of free weights. Much more bang for your buck!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, free weights are much better for you and that's what I do everyday is use dumb bells, no machines for me. Push the weight and reps to exhaustion then add more weight and so on.

Free weights and machines have different advantages. Free weights offer more control and train more muscles, but machines offer more safety and security, and some people can handle more weight on them. I see nothing wrong with an anxious beginner starting out with machines.

Update: Free weights are particularly good for short women like me. Many machines are awkward for me to use. But there's no equivalent for the lat machine and I love machines like the assisted pull up and dip machine.
  • tluurtse
    tluurtse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My favorite website is www.exrx.net. This page in particular: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html It will show you a listing of all muscles. For example, click on "Upper Arms" & it will give you each muscle group in the area (triceps & biceps). Under each muscle, it will give you lots of different exercises to do, grouped by machine, cable machine, dumbbells, body weight only, etc. If you click on the exercise, it gives you a video & a written description of how to do the exercise. This is an excellent resource for building your own routine. When I first started, I would do something for quads/glutes, calves, biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, & stomach. I progressively moved into doing more varied exercises with more weight & now I only use free weights, other than the leg press occasionally.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I think cable machines are a good option for people with no experience and no trainer. I say you should drop the leg curls and all that and just do barbell squats and weighted lunges.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's a good workout to start with, so the most important thing is to just DO IT - you can tweak or change later as you get more comfortable with weights. That said, my recommendation would be to mix up the order - alternate legs and arms, and start with large muscles. So I'd modify the order of your workout to do something like this:

Chest press, 12 x3
    Leg press, 12 x3
    Pull down, 12 x3
    Leg curls, 12 x3
    Shoulder press, 12 x3
    <add in another leg exercise such as calf raises>
    Seated row, 12 x3
    Abdominal crunch, 12 x3

Good luck!
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks guys. I was thinking about the free weights too, but kinda scared of it. Lol. I'll check out that website.

Dont be scared Just watch your form and have fun with it . I promise youll feel like a badass
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i too was just going to start with weights but have no idea what to do ? i currently only have 3 and 5 lbs hand weights. i am getting 8 lbs this weekend. can i use 5 and 8? will i get results with that? right now i am doing 30ds and rin30 which has a lot of strength exercises in it, i was thinking of doing those but more of them... like 3 reps of how ever i can get in? ( maybe around 10 ).....i will get heavier weights when i can handle the 8lbs good and go up from there, but i wasn't sure that if lifting lighter weights with more reps was even wise or just a waste of time as so many seem to only promote lifting heavy, so only a few times...
  • CMarshek
    CMarshek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lifted weights before or in a long period of time I suggest starting with this routine. I also suggest adding a lower back exercise if your life or job is sedentary.

I stand behind what others say...as a female it is better for you to do weight baring exercise. This will help strengthen the density of your bones and off set chances at future osteoporosis.

There are great beginning routines you can start with a stability ball. I am a professional trainer and could recommend a few books for you to source to get ideas of routines.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Weight machines are as good as any free weights. Both have their place and I wouldn't train at a gym without both.