Breastfeeding and MyFitnessPal

Options
Anyone use this while breastfeeding??? It didn't give me an option to account for the extra calories I need for bfing and didn't know if there was a setting somewhere or a way to adjust?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you can enter it as food - the value is negative (search for breastfeeding in the Add a food box)
  • hutsky
    Options
    I was just on here wondering the same! I am really struggling, and I think it's because I'm still nursing 4-5 times a day, and 1200calories is just not enough. KellyMom.com suggests not eating fewer than 1500-1800 calories a day while losing weight and breastfeeding. I think I'm going to add it as an exercise, burning 60 calories for a full, two sided nurse. That will equal 300 calories if it's 5 times a day, and allows growth spurts. If he nurses more, I can eat more.
  • divechic186
    divechic186 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine found it under activities. Search breastfeeding and you can add it and it adds calories to your day. I use an extra 300 because 1250 was leaving me STARVING. 1550 is definitely manageable especially if you take into account carrying around a 15lb child under acitivities. My son is 12 months, 25lbs and still nurses 5-6 times a day which can all account for extra activity considering how much I have to carry him around when we are in public.
  • michellekathryn
    Options
    I am breastfeeding about 5-7 times a day. I add it in the morning as well, it gives me 400 calories for the day. I feel that it is a good amount so far.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine found it under activities. Search breastfeeding and you can add it and it adds calories to your day.
    There is no section called Activities. I assume you mean Exercise, but it isn't there either unless you add it yourself. As stated previously, it is in Food.