before or after?

Options
What's actually better? Exercising in the morning before eating or after breakfast?
Also would you burn more if it was before eating?
The only time i can exercise is in the afternoon!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter enough to make a difference. What matters is that you actually do it. Just do it whenever it works for you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For all practical purposes it makes no difference whatsoever.
  • dq_diva
    Options
    I exercise early in the morning and don't really feel like eating then, but I have found if I don't eat just a little something I poop out before I'm done......just a banana or peanut butter or a few almonds. Everyone's different!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people, and sometimes different things work for the same person on different days.

When I bicycle in to work (14 miles, in hills), I started out needing a small (100 calorie) carb-y snack, usually a slice of multigrain bread, to start out or I'd "hit the wall" about the time I hit the first of the steep hills. After a while, I found that the "bleah" feeling from nibbling calories that early in the morning outweighed the hills my then-conditioned legs could handle more easily, so I stopped eating the bread.

If you can't manage the workouts because you start out fatigued, try a few calories beforehand and see if that helps. If you're hungry afterward, have a replenishment snack or time a meal afterward. Or both, have a snack before AND after if you feel it's helping your performance and keeping your workouts enjoyable and vigorous. Or neither if you feel like it's not helping or even interfering.

You'll really have to experiment and find out what works best for you.