Just me?

Options
When I was 45 pounds heavier, I never saw myself as fat? But now I feel fatter than ever. I hate the way I look and feel... Does anyone else struggle with self-perception? I know it sounds crazy to feel fatter now than ever but I really do. Maybe part of it was just denial 45 pounds ago....

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    30 lbs ago I didn't think I looked too bad. Now I know better, I looked big and lumpy :) I don't think I look bad now, but I do see my problem areas more clearly.
  • megmanning
    Options
    Not only do I see things more clearly now, I also feel like I look worse now than I did then... maybe it is just me???
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Could it be that your fat looks different now? I have heard many people say that when they started, their fat was more "solid", but once they started losing it sort of broke up and became more jiggly and lumpy before going away.
  • megmanning
    Options
    Ruthe8 you could be one to something... it is just so much squishier....
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Could it be that your fat looks different now? I have heard many people say that when they started, their fat was more "solid", but once they started losing it sort of broke up and became more jiggly and lumpy before going away.

I think its more that the skin was stretched out so it seemed firmer, once the fat is gone it is more deflated. That is the excuse some of the women in my family use for not losing weight, anyways. They say the fat fills in their wrinkles - I guess like the Original Botox... excuses!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Your expectations are much higher now.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Also possible that you are losing in certain places and not others, in a way that makes you have a shape you don't like. It will all work out in the end, but it may look awkward during the process. You're probably the only one who thinks you look bad, though!
  • susiebear29
    Options
    I hate my body whether at my biggest or my smallest, the joys of being a woman in this modern world obsessed with image!! :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I pay a lot more attention now to my body which us where I critique myself a lot more than before I lost the weight! But as I buy a few new pieces of clothes that fit, I feel awesome!
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    I use to be 180lbs and I was very comfortable with myself, it never crossed my mind that I 'was fat' until some guys started making fun of me , jerks. Now I am at 165 and I feel like I am the fattest grossest person I ever saw in the mirror!
  • Yana150
    Yana150 Posts: 226
    Options

If this is the case, could strength training help, or are you already strength training?
  • jennieth
    Options
    Part of being a woman. We never seem to be good enough. We always see the worse in ourselves.

I get so much good feedback on my progress I try really had to see through other peoples eyes.

I have to try not to laugh though when I am running on the treadmill. When I was all fat my butt didn't seem to bounce that much. Now I have muscle and my butt is getting perkier so the fat that is still there bounces on top of the muscle and I can totally feel it. The faster I go the more it bounces. Cracks me up!
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    i completely understand...it's not just you. As we work to lose weight and get to that ideal "perfect weight and size" the public standards seem to change. Once voluptuous was beautiful and now anorexic is. It's all about finding what "Your perfect weight and size" is and feeling good about your accomplishments. A 30lb weight loss is HUGE and you should be so proud of yourself! Just keep setting realistic goals to reach and conquer them. In time you will except the body you have worked so hard to create! If it's more of a flabby skin issue versus self image the best, non surgical, way to fix that is keep hydrated, inside and out and exfoliate daily. The loose skin won't disappear over night, but you will start to notice improvements
  • berryjk
    Options
    sorry...45lb loss! that's even more awesome!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

^^ this. At about 15 lbs down I was feeling pretty good but now I'm at 20lbs down and bunch of inches and my stomach is saggy and it flops around more and my breasts hang lower, even though they haven't gotten smaller. I feel worse now than I did before...except that I SEE my clothes are getting more loose and every day my size 10 jeans that I bought last year when I was 5 lbs lighter and didn't fit, they get more loose on me and are quite comfortable now. It definitely takes a toll on you, but take pictures in whatever way you are most comfortable (naked, bathing suit, workout gear, favorite outfit...whatevs) and do so every few weeks and watch how they fit you differently.
  • berryjk
    Options
    Part of being a woman. We never seem to be good enough. We always see the worse in ourselves.

I get so much good feedback on my progress I try really had to see through other peoples eyes.

I have to try not to laugh though when I am running on the treadmill. When I was all fat my butt didn't seem to bounce that much. Now I have muscle and my butt is getting perkier so the fat that is still there bounces on top of the muscle and I can totally feel it. The faster I go the more it bounces. Cracks me up!

too freaking funny! same thing here! I am so much more aware of my butt now! :)
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

If this is the case, could strength training help, or are you already strength training?

I was going to ask the same. What type of exercising are you doing? If you're just doing cardio, you need to incorporate some weight lifting so you won't be as "squishy" and have firmer skin.
  • megmanning
    Options
    I do cardio 2x a week and resistance 4x a week...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is partly I've upped my standards.
  • megmanning
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it.