How to get enough carbs when you don't eat grains

Options
13»

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Honestly, I'm not a paleo person and it seems paleo may mean different things to different people (as evidenced through this thread, OP asked specifically for no grains but rice was recommended?).

I think the Primal / Paleo hierarchy need to have a world summit (using vehicles based on the internal combustion engine to get there) and come to a consensus (using democratic principles derived from Ancient Greece) on just what is and isn't acceptable (obviously legumes won't be invited to that particular party but coffee may get a free pass. Bit of a wildcard that one.)

Then they can convey it to the rest of us plebs. Using the internet.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Just to clarify on the rice issue, a little bit of white rice every now and then isn't going to hurt. Rice is a grain, yes, but it’s not the same as wheat, barley, oats, or corn. Do you eat it if you want to lose weight, no. Are you carbo loading for a marathon, then yes. Potatoes also fall into this category, it's the grey line in this diet. A lot of people use paleo as a weight loss plan, which is why you hear an overwhelming cry of no rice or potatoes. The basic principles are Don’t eat wheat. Don’t eat corn.Don't eat Legumes. Don’t eat added refined sugars. Don’t eat refined polyunsaturated oils. Other than those rules, the sky is the limit.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Vegetables ARE valid carb sources, this is where we should be getting the bulk of our carbs eating this way.

It would be really hard to get the bulk of your carbohydrates from vegetables.

Get the bulk of your carbohydrates from FRUIT!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Honestly, I'm not a paleo person and it seems paleo may mean different things to different people (as evidenced through this thread, OP asked specifically for no grains but rice was recommended?).

I think the Primal / Paleo hierarchy need to have a world summit (using vehicles based on the internal combustion engine to get there) and come to a consensus (using democratic principles derived from Ancient Greece) on just what is and isn't acceptable (obviously legumes won't be invited to that particular party but coffee may get a free pass. Bit of a wildcard that one.)

^ epic. would read again. srs.
  • monjet13
    monjet13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for all the great replies, and the great discussions, I looked back at my food log and discovered I'm eating Approximately 80 to 100 carbs a day (not sure what measurement MFP uses I'm assuming grams). I often feel week and light headed after a run and get dizzy if I stand up to quickly ( I even get that way on rest days) I wounder if my overall carb intake is to low. I found that a smoothie made with blueberries, yogurt, kale and chia seeds to be quit helpful as post workout meal. I know that yogurt is not quit paleo but it is primal and I tolerate it well
    I will definitely add some sweet potatoes I've tried white rice and don't seem to get much of a boost. Potatoes are a great idea and will be next on my list.
  • monjet13
    monjet13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

^ epic. would read again. srs.

My doctor did mention white rice and seemed to think it was acceptable, the theory being white rice is the easiest of the grains to digest and has the least chance of an allergic reaction and therefore no inflammation.