Has anyone used a CLEANSE to jump start their weight loss?

Options
I have been considering a Cleanse to jump start my weight loss, are these safe? Do they work? What ones have you tried and recommend?

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Are they safe? It depends, many are not.

Do they work? depends on what you expect to get from them. Generally they work at getting rid of water weight and potentially muscles.

What would I recommend? Not doing a cleanse
  • SocWkrBee
    Options
    ^ you got your answer there.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you didnt "jump start" your weight gain and you cant jump start weight loss.

your body is constantly cleansing itself. give it clean water throughout the day to help it along and you will be fine.
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    i DO recommend a cleanse ESPECIALLY if your diet hasn't exactly been that healthy..HOWEVER...there are a million different cleanses out there with different suggestions on how long you should be on a cleanse. I am currently on a juicing cleanse and I only plan on doing it for 7 days to rid my body of toxins and clean up my colon (gross I know). Just remember to keep your activity light during a cleanse since you will not be taking in enough calories to fuel an intense work out. I try to steer clear of any pill based cleansing program, but that's just me.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    i DO recommend a cleanse ESPECIALLY if your diet hasn't exactly been that healthy..HOWEVER...there are a million different cleanses out there with different suggestions on how long you should be on a cleanse. I am currently on a juicing cleanse and I only plan on doing it for 7 days to rid my body of toxins and clean up my colon (gross I know). Just remember to keep your activity light during a cleanse since you will not be taking in enough calories to fuel an intense work out. I try to steer clear of any pill based cleansing program, but that's just me.

Your kidneys and liver clean your body of any toxins and if they didn't, you'd end up in the hospital. Your colon cleanses itself and again if it didn't, you'd end up in the hospital pretty quickly.

Basically drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fiber. Those will help your body do its job.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    i DO recommend a cleanse ESPECIALLY if your diet hasn't exactly been that healthy..HOWEVER...

everything you ate and drank yesterday and all days before yesterday has been broken down and either used or eliminated.

Foods do not stick in your body and colon and ferment and rot like many cleanses want you to believe.

If they did you would stink so bad people and other animals would runaway from you or attack you for stinking so bad.

before you do a cleanse, do some research and learn what happens to all the stuff you put in your mouth.
  • MelanieSkittle
    MelanieSkittle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I did a 48 hr juice cleanse before starting my new eating plan. I did it to get rid of my sugar cravings and get my body excited for healthy food. 48 hours without food will make chicken and steamed broccoli sound like the most awesome dish in the whole world. I did the juice fast back in May, and have had great success with my new eating habits ever since (and I've lost 30 lbs). I'd say that it probably depends on what kind of cleanse, and what you hope to get out of it.
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    I did a 48 hr juice cleanse before starting my new eating plan. I did it to get rid of my sugar cravings and get my body excited for healthy food. 48 hours without food will make chicken and steamed broccoli sound like the most awesome dish in the whole world. I did the juice fast back in May, and have had great success with my new eating habits ever since (and I've lost 30 lbs). I'd say that it probably depends on what kind of cleanse, and what you hope to get out of it.

:) congrats!
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I did one by Dr recommendation and under his care, and it did make me drop weight fast. Many people have to go on liquid diets for several reasons, but always consult a dr if you are planning to do one to make sure you are healthy enough and how long they recommend.
  • EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I did one by Dr recommendation and under his care, and it did make me drop weight fast. Many people have to go on liquid diets for several reasons, but always consult a dr if you are planning to do one to make sure you are healthy enough and how long they recommend.

what fast or cleanse did you do?
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    You need to cleanse your mind of the cleanse.......
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Bump - i have been wondering about too
  • ceajules
    Options
    yes and I do think it helped just wanted to detox from all the bad foods got it from gnc it was awesome
  • phyllisbix
    Options
    I didn't use a CLEANSE because they are unsafe, but I did use a Reset for 21 days. I lost 10 pounds and 10.75 inches, and have kept it off for more than 3 months now.....and taken more off as well. Let me know if you want more info about it.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    look - if the idea is appealing to you - go for it - its not rocket science - just stot eating for 1/2 a day or 1 day, or else pay $500+ for one of the manufactured systems. you'll probably lose a couple pounds. long term though, it aint going to be sustainable or fun or healthy (one of my colleagues does it every month but he's been yo-yoing for years).....better to eat healthy and exercise more, and spend a little more time for life long sustainable results.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Recipe for the World's most effective cleanse - fresh fruits, fresh veggies, WATER, healthy foods, a good balance of protein, carbs and fats, mix in cardio and strength training and let your liver and kidneys do the rest. And the great thing is it's free!!!

There is no 'jump start'. I'm not sure what that really means? Starve yourself at the start of a new 'diet' so a lose a lot of weight really fast?? The healthiest most sustainable way to do this is make it a lifestyle change...that is the recipe for success!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are full of false claims. Your body is a wonderful machine who was built to "cleanse" itself. You don't need to 'jumpstart' your weight loss...you just need to start.
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    water & fiber = natural cleanse. Dont mess with your body by fasting or just drinking juice. Just healthy fruits/ veggies and lots of water seem to always help :) !
  • ceajules
    Options
    I am doing the ulimate reset when I am done with Turbofire in December cause you cant workout for 21 days
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have a juicer and I just started a juicing reboot. I'm not sure if that's the kind of "cleanse" we are talking about here. The juices I have been making meet my calorie needs, and contain nutrients that are far superior to the foods I have eaten in the past. Sure, you could just eat the veggies and fruits, but you would have to eat a ton in order to get the same quantity of micronutrients that you get in a day's worth of fresh juice. I haven't been juicing long, and I am no expert, but from what I understand and have experienced so far, the cleanse or reboot will rid you of cravings for foods that are not-so-good for you, which sounds like a pretty good lifestyle change. Of course, if you begin eating those unhealthy foods again, you will gain weight, but that has nothing do with whether you drank juice or not.
    Now if we"re talking about some powdered drink or diet pills that promise to "cleanse" your system, then I can't help and certainly wouldn't recommend. Pumping your body full of manufactured food products is what caused most of us to gain weight in the first place.