Fruit and Veg

Options
I wonder when I have looked food diary's of friends many being American they do not seem to eat alot of fruit and veg I wonder why ?

Replies

• RKAY89
    Options
    Too much sugar.. I'm goin to have to cut the fruit out of my diet soon as it's loading me too full of sugar... veg, however, is generally grand regarding sugar esp green veg.. hell eat your body weight in it if you want
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i would prefer to make sure that i have at least 5 pieces of fruit a day the benefits outweigh the negatives in my view.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have read on here that some people don't bother logging fruit.
  • UncleAngry
    Options
    I try and keep a strict intake of around 100 carbs a day. Most fruit would kill that if I was to eat 5 servings a day. I have plenty of vegetables in my diet though. I'll eat a bag of spinach, or a head of lettuce in a day. I try and stay in the greens, again to keep the carb intact low.

...and if you're not logging the fruit you eat then you're setting yourself up for some disappointment on weigh in days. UNLESS you have some specific diet/medically prescribed reason. Fruit = carbs & sugar (majority, not all)
  • peter236uk
    Options
    I could not be with out fruit and love my veg which I grow alot myself, I just noticed that alot people do not eat fruit and yep there are sugars in it and some carbs. However the human internal system is designed to mostly eat fruit, nuts and veggies. I not a vegan or a veggie and love my meat.

I was discussing this with a consultant surgeon friend of mine and he find alot of elderly patients suffer from blockages in there stomach. This often caused by a build up of food over time which becomes solid.

His view by eating lots of veg,fruit will keep everything moving !!!
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    There's a programme I watched recently on Sky where a nutrionist is claiming too much fruit really isn't good for you because of the sugars and if eating too much your body won't be able to break all of the sugars down.
    I'm vegetarian and eat hardly any fruit or veg to be honest, and always feel guilty for it. I'm thinking of getting a juicer to get at least a bit of fruit in my diet as I like juices but don't like eating fruit whole.
  • peter236uk
    Options
    really what do you eat being a vegetarian ? I love my veg and have about 3/5 pieces of fruit a day if you have a peek at my diary its not that extreme but think its pretty balanced.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i OWN fruit.

if i'm not gonna eat twinkies, i need some form of sugar. and honestly, i see NOTHING wrong with eating more than 2 servings of fruit per day. i usually will eat an orange, banana, peach and some berries in one day.

mmmm...:drinker:
  • bigfrank3384
    bigfrank3384 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree. I do see the point that it is extra sugars but there are so many benefits in eating them that it weighs out the sugar and as long as your not adding anymore sugar to your diet having a piece or a handfull of fruit every meal shouldnt affect you that bad unless you are diebetic maybe. I try to eat a fruit and a vegetable for every meal as much as I can. Its never perfect of course but pretty close!!
  • peter236uk
    Options
    I would have to agree. I do see the point that it is extra sugars but there are so many benefits in eating them that it weighs out the sugar and as long as your not adding anymore sugar to your diet having a piece or a handfull of fruit every meal shouldnt affect you that bad unless you are diebetic maybe. I try to eat a fruit and a vegetable for every meal as much as I can. Its never perfect of course but pretty close!!
    I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives
  • AmandasaurasRex
    Options
    I try to eat a lot of fruit b/c it is very beneficial for my boyfriend...
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    The standard American diet has come to be based largely on processed (junk) food. Unfortunately, eating lots of fruits and veggies is not as common as it should be. I eat a lot of fruit, and don't worry about the sugar from it because it is not processed. I have lost 85 pounds since March, so I don't think it is affecting my weight, and my lab #'s are better than they have been in a LONG time!
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I try to do a lot of fruits and veggies but for me it seems to be in spurts. I always go with what I am hungry for. If I do this, it curbs the hunger and I don't eat as much. If this makes sense. I do stick with low fat dairy tho and generally avoid sweets and bad fats. I eat a lot of yogurt... has to be Greek! Generally in the am I have protein plus cereal with a half cup of blueberries. It just depends on my mood as to how much fruits/veggies I eat on any given day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    really what do you eat being a vegetarian ? I love my veg and have about 3/5 pieces of fruit a day if you have a peek at my diary its not that extreme but think its pretty balanced.

I would say it is somewhat balanced, quite high carb and not enough protein most days. MFP's protein limit should be seen as a bare minimum for someone that is sedentary. If you are active it is nowhere near enough.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I personally try to eat a fairly balanced diet. With at least some fruit, veggies, grains, and protein every day. I do admit, due to the calories my fruit intake is only one or two pieces a day...while by veggies are in the 4-6 servings a day range.

As long as it works for you...I wouldn't worry!
  • TAMMYCLARK62
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are a must for me too
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar.. I'm goin to have to cut the fruit out of my diet soon as it's loading me too full of sugar... veg, however, is generally grand regarding sugar esp green veg.. hell eat your body weight in it if you want

Sugar in fruit is good for you. In fact, sugar in fruit shouldn't even be counted as the sugar that you think of in other foods, like bread, pasta, candy, and other things like that. It's different sugar all together.
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Sugar in fruit is good for you. In fact, sugar in fruit shouldn't even be counted as the sugar that you think of in other foods, like bread, pasta, candy, and other things like that. It's different sugar all together.

I would love to see your research citations for this? :smile:
  • peter236uk
    Options
    The standard American diet has come to be based largely on processed (junk) food. Unfortunately, eating lots of fruits and veggies is not as common as it should be. I eat a lot of fruit, and don't worry about the sugar from it because it is not processed. I have lost 85 pounds since March, so I don't think it is affecting my weight, and my lab #'s are better than they have been in a LONG time!

I just noticed that alot of americans do not seem to eat alot of fruit and veg in the diaries as you seem there seems to be alot processed stuff
  • peter236uk
    Options
    I have a plan that beats all the gyms and gimmicks grow your own veg so you work your garden exercise then eat the veg. I know our American friends have back yards so there you go !
    Exercise and healthy food